General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Looking for guidance from Washington Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-01 10:26 PM

Subject: Looking for guidance from Washington
I think that I have caught the tri bug, but not real sure where to begin. I started the "couch to 5K" program from you website, but am trying to find a good diet program. At this time I tip the scale at around 265lbs. My goal is to get down to 200lbs. I have been active for a large part of my life, but with finishing college and family stuff, kind of got side tracked and well, you can imagine what happened. Anyway, just looking for support, answers to questions, and general guidance. Thanks for being out there.

2005-07-02 10:55 AM
in reply to: #188758

User image

Veteran
Aurora, CO
Subject: RE: Looking for guidance from Washington
Welcome! I'm new as well, and you've come to the right place. Everyone here is extremely helpful and answers all questions. I may not know much about tri (yet), but I do know a lot about nutrition!

As far as the diet program.... I recommend Weight Watchers (or some variant). I have lost twenty pounds already and feel fabulous. The main thing in weight loss is to burn more calories than you consume. Sounds easy, right? Ha! Well, with training for a tri, you are definitely burning a lot of calories. Now you just need to eat the right fuels to keep you going.

Make sure to eat lots of fruits and veggies every day. This sounds hard at first, and it is. I've gotten into the habit of throwing a half a bag of frozen veggies into the steamer right when I get home from work. That way about twenty minutes later I have a healthy snack and I get plenty of veggies.

The main thing is to make healthier choices. If you have to eat fast food, go to Subway and get a low fat sub. If you really want a dessert, go for it! Just have a smaller portion size..... which leads me to my next point.....

Watch portion sizes! Measure or weigh everything. Make sure you know what 4 oz. of chicken looks like, or 1 cup of rice.

Drink water!

Okay, that's enough out of me. Good luck, and ask lots of questions, it's the only way we learn!
2005-07-02 5:41 PM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Welcome to the site.  Where in WA are you from?
2005-07-03 7:22 PM
in reply to: #189076

the Spokane area
2005-07-03 7:27 PM
in reply to: #189446

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Welcome from another Spokane-ite!  You'll soon be addicted to all this craziness and you'll wonder how you ever got by without working out.  Fire away with any questions that you have and you'll always get an answer from someone on here. 

For Spokane specific questions, let me know and I'll try to point you in the right direction.  Good luck!

2005-07-06 2:18 PM
in reply to: #189446

User image

Veteran
Spokane, Washington

Welcome from another Spokanite.  I'm in the same boat.  Triing to lose some weight at the same time...

2005-07-06 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Stormville, NY
Welcome to the site. I am in the exact same boat as you and I have found this site a great resource for information as well as inspiration. I am doing the couch to 5k and hope to be able to run my first 5k in October. Good luck with your training and don't give up.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Looking for guidance from Washington Rss Feed