YMCA
79F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 35m 29s
Overall Rank = 59/219
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 24/50
Pre-race routine:

I left the house around 6:30 am. I got have way there and realized a left my cycling helmet at home, and I had to go back home. It was a sign of thing to come.
Event warmup:

It rained. At times there were heavy down pours. I brought a heavy bag to stow my gear and keep it dry. It was a big advantage.
Swim
  • 17m 23s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

I tend to pull right during my swim. Since I was not spotting the buoy because of the wind and waves, I ended up off course by 75-100 yards -- "bonus yards," as I like to call them. When I did not notice any other swimmers around me, I thought I was leading the wave.
What would you do differently?:

Swim straight.
Transition 1
  • 04m 22s
Comments:

There are really two T-1s. After the swim there is a transition to remove wetsuits and put on running shoes for the beach path. The second one comes at the top of the beach path where the main transition area is. At the beach-level transition area, make sure you put your shoes someplace easy to find. Consider putting an orange sock in your shoes so they stand out. This tip is more relevant for the eary waves when there are 300 pair of nearly identical looking shoes all lined up together.

I left T-1 without my eye glasses. Had to go back and get them.
Bike
  • 50m 18s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Chain came off while shifting to lower wheel. Had to stop and put it back on. Yet another mental error and delay.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Because my gear was dry from storing it in a heafty bag, my shoes were dry and easy to put on. My T-2 neighbors with wet gear did not have it as easy.
Run
  • 22m 2s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

There are no mileage markers to gauge your pace during the race. The course map is online and I recommend getting some points of reference from it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked. Iced the sore spots. Stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental errors during the race, and did not train as well as I needed to. Calf injury sustained a month earlier.

Event comments:

Croixathlon is a lot of fun. The camp staff are helpful and enthusiastic. It is a great tri for beginners. I estimate at least 50% are beginner level, and many are first-timers.

Last updated: 2009-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:23 | 600 yards | 02m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 33/50
Overall: 117/219
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleaveless
Course: Counter clockwise loop. The St. Croix water is tinted brown, so there is no visibility in the water. The high chop and wind makes OWS in the St. Croix a challenge.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:22
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:18 | 15 miles | 17.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/50
Overall: 76/219
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: The course was modified because of road construction. It added 2 miles to the regular course and a few more turns. I have been told that the 15 mile course will be used again in 2010. The course is entirely on town roads with minimal traffic. Roads are mostly in good condition, but there are some rough spots. Rolling hills are common. There was one long hill about 1/2 way through. The course winds through wooded residential aeras and farm fields. On windy days, the breeze is exagerated across the farm fields. The course is clearly marked and volunteers are at the corners. In past years, the turns have been swept free from debris.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:02 | 03 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/50
Overall: 32/219
Performance: Good
Course: The course winds through the campground. It is entirely on soil - no pavement. This made it easier on the legs, but hard to get traction on the muddy uphills. The course is mostly flat. There is a fairly steep ravine that you will hit twice, once at about the .5 mark and again at 2.5. There is a water station at the 1.5 mark.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes