General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new in cypress tx Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-24 10:59 AM

Subject: new in cypress tx
Howdy yall.  I have been running a couple years and decided that I'd like to give this a try.  I am wondering if there is anyone out there whowould be willing to show me the roaps at least once so I don't feel so overwhelmed by all this.  I am looking at doing something local to Houston and would like to do at least 1 before the Bridgeland/ Townelake events which I would also like to do.

At least with a run all I have to do is show up with a number and my running shoes.   Thanks, Mark

2010-05-24 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2878108

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: new in cypress tx
Welcome!  I am in NW Houston in the Copperfield area so we are close.
Bridgeland will be my next tri http://www.onurleft.com/ONURMARK_PRODUCTIONS/Bridgeland_Triathlon.html they did a great job with it last year and I am really looking forward to it this year.

We actually don't have much in our area in July but some of us are doing Tejas in June http://www.out-loud.org/tejas_triathlon.htm put on by another great race director.
2010-05-24 9:03 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Howdy Doc!  Welcome!  Cypress here too.  

Tejas is a sprint down in the Sugarland Area in a couple of weeks.  There are lots of us BT'ers signed up for that one...give it a go.  There are also a couple of pool swim tri's late June, Sugarland and Pearland I believe.  

There are a good handful of us NW'ers on here!
2010-05-25 7:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Welcome to the board! I'm a bit south of you in the Katy area. This is my first season of tri's as well, have my second coming up next week (traveling to Austin for it). I'm also signed up for Bridgeland, not much else in Houston for June other than pool swims, in July I think I'm going to travel again to Austin area for an event because there isn't anything local.

I started out running too, and yes, it is much more overwhelming - you need more than your legs and shoes! But there is great info here and with a little research, planning and practice all the logistics of my first race went really smoothly and it was a lot of fun.
2010-05-25 10:09 PM

Thanks for the warm reception.  I signed up today for the pool tri in Sugarland in later June and we'll see how that goes before I try to tackle Bridgeland or Townelake.  when and where do yall train for this stuff?  So far I've been hitting the pool at the gym, running in Terry Hershey or around Coles Crossing or on the treadmill if its too HOT.  Are there any really safe places to do some biking.  I had to promise my wife I wouldn't bike alone or at least not on the street.  Unfortunately I lost a friend to a biking accident a few years ago.  Anyway all input and advise would be appreciated.  Thanks again
2010-05-26 6:30 AM
in reply to: #2882288

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
I'm a wimp about biking on the roads ( had an accident about 15 years ago on my bike with a car and I am still freaked out by it) so I do all my riding out at George Bush/Terry Hershey. Its starting to get a bit boring though, I'd love to find some other places.

For running I run at a park down here in Katy with a .75 loop. Again, gets boring on longer runs, but  its safe, lots of people always around, bathrooms/water accessible the whole time, etc.

I swim laps at the gym, but try to get out to either 288 Lake or Twin Lakes for open water swim practice about 1x a week.

2010-05-26 9:26 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
For biking I take Longenbaugh to Fry road and ride that down to The Bridgelands - the Bridgelands loop is about 5 miles and very pretty.  They key is going early in the morning when traffic is low especially if you are going to be riding by yourself.
The Bike Barn at highway 6 and 529 has a Saturday morning ride - 25 miles and it is safer to be with a group.
2010-05-26 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2882860

I saw that you were looking for Sunday rides on another thread.  I also would be interested in riding on Sundays as I work every other Saturday.  So give me a shout if you and your husband are riding as I would like to have company for a change. 
2010-05-26 12:31 PM

User image

Regular
Cypress, TX
I also ride down Fry Rd to Longenbaugh.  I leave from Bridgeland and head down Fry, to Longenbaugh and make a left onto it.  I then ride Longenbaugh and turn around at the last median break before the major intersection light.  I then work my way back down Fry and do the Bridgland loop as well. 

If I want more distance I just run this route twice or three times. 

Like Keri said, the key is doing the ride early and traffic is very low.  Plus Fry has a huge shoulder.

2010-05-26 2:25 PM

Depending on where you are leaving from, you could ride out to Zube park on Roberts Rd and 290.  I will try to make a map of the ride and link it.  You could also drive out to Zube and just start from there.  Lots of bikers on the roads out there Sat and Sun morning.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new in cypress tx Rss Feed