General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MapMyRide vs GarminConnect Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-25 11:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi
Subject: MapMyRide vs GarminConnect
I used MapMyRide to map out a bike route, it shows 4870' of climbing... I did the ride and uploaded it to GarminConnect, and used the Elevation Correction Feature, and it shows that I did 5749' of climbing...

which is correct? What do you use in your logs?  Do you find a discrepancy between the two software packages?

My coach keeps going with the 4870 number, but I want credit for each and every foot that I climbed up that mountain!!!

2010-05-25 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2880801

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: MapMyRide vs GarminConnect

Credit?  What do you get for that "credit"?  I think the key is to do everything uniformly so you can compare relative to eachother workouts etc.  It's not like you get anything specific for those extra feet right? 

2010-05-25 1:21 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
Garmin connect's elevation numbers seem to be the most accurate I've seen so far.

There have been threads about how to calculate climbing, and in those there were examples of how map my ride can usually be low, and how BT's route tracker can usually be on the high side. 
2010-05-25 10:34 PM

User image

Master
I find MapMyRide to be horribly inaccurate.  Always low.  Elevations from Garmin or from Topofusion (corrected) I find to be the most accurate.
2010-05-26 8:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
If you go to the lower left corner of a garmin connect event you've done, you'll see a image of your device, and a button to enable or disable elevation correction.

What are Elevation Corrections?
Elevation Corrections cross reference the horizontal position (latitude/longitude) provided by the GPS with elevation data that has been acquired by professional surveys. When corrections to elevation data are made, each trackpoint of your activity now contains the elevation from the web service, not the elevation provided by your GPS device.
Garmin Connect selectively applies corrections to depict a more realistic representation of your elevation experience. Activities recorded from devices without a barometric altimeter are enabled with Elevation Corrections by default. Alternatively, activities recorded by devices with a barometric altimeter generally contain accurate elevation data and therefore Elevation Corrections are disabled by default. For those users who are familiar with the MotionBased Gravity service, this is the same service.
2010-05-26 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
I mapped out the bike course for my Oly this past weekend on Mapmyride and they had the elevation at 900'.  My Garmin had the course at 1600'.  I rode the course, obviously, it was no way near 900', way more.  I'll never trust mapmyrides elevation again. 

2010-05-26 9:42 AM

User image

NH
Mapmyride is horribly inaccurate.  Try this test:  Map out a 60 mile ride and note the climb.  Then map the same ride as 4-15 milers.  I tried that on my ride coming up and the 4-15 milers were less than HALF the one 60 milers.  So it's inaccurate even within itself,

Elevation is tough, but whatever program you use has to at least be consistent within itself so you can at least compare your own rides.
2010-05-26 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2881082

Veteran
Wisconsin
I use bikeroutetoaster.com. Anybody know if that site is accurate?
2010-05-26 5:18 PM

User image

Garmin Connect's elevation correction is pretty accurate as long as your ride lat/long was pretty accurate.  The way it works is it uses NASA/USGS data that has known elevation points for pretty much everywhere on earth.  This is done by bouncing radar signals from a satellite down to earth and then back up again.  The exact elevations are then recorded.

While a few things can slightly tweak this (such as bridges), it's generally accepted as extremely accurate.

Ironically, I just wrote up a big thing on this on Tuesay, explaining how altitude in Garmin's work depending on your model, and how the correction works in a few different software suites.  Fwiw.
2010-05-27 8:50 AM

User image

NH
I use Delorme, mainly because it's at least completely consistent within itself so I can compare my own rides with my own rides.   Like Garmin they have accurate data points for elevation pretty much everywhere (at least in North America). 

If someone could send me a Garmin connect plot, it'd be interesting to compare it to a Delorme output.  I know that even with the same elevation points you can come up with really different numbers depending on sample distance.
2010-05-27 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2884522

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi
dcrainmaker - 2010-05-26 3:18 PM Garmin Connect's elevation correction is pretty accurate as long as your ride lat/long was pretty accurate.  The way it works is it uses NASA/USGS data that has known elevation points for pretty much everywhere on earth.  This is done by bouncing radar signals from a satellite down to earth and then back up again.  The exact elevations are then recorded.

While a few things can slightly tweak this (such as bridges), it's generally accepted as extremely accurate.

Ironically, I just wrote up a big thing on this on Tuesay, explaining how altitude in Garmin's work depending on your model, and how the correction works in a few different software suites.  Fwiw.

Interesting Read - Thank You... thing is, I use the Garmin Edge 705, and GarminConnect still changes the elevation upon correction (not a HUGE correction compared to MapMyRide).  In your Summary, you made it sound like the 705 was just as good if not better than the "Correction" software. What are your thoughts on that?

2010-05-27 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2886036

User image

Cardholic - 2010-05-27 12:24 PM
dcrainmaker - 2010-05-26 3:18 PM Garmin Connect's elevation correction is pretty accurate as long as your ride lat/long was pretty accurate.  The way it works is it uses NASA/USGS data that has known elevation points for pretty much everywhere on earth.  This is done by bouncing radar signals from a satellite down to earth and then back up again.  The exact elevations are then recorded.

Interesting Read - Thank You... thing is, I use the Garmin Edge 705, and GarminConnect still changes the elevation upon correction (not a HUGE correction compared to MapMyRide).  In your Summary, you made it sound like the 705 was just as good if not better than the "Correction" software. What are your thoughts on that?

In general, I do find the 705 Elevation pretty accurate.  However, stuff like changing weather patterns can impact it's accuracy over a longer ride - due to the changes in pressure.  The nice part is you can turn on/off the elevation correction for each activity if you want to.

One minor note for anyone who sees really wonky readings on the 500/705 - ensure the four little black holes on the back of the unit are uncovered.  If covered (such as with tape), they'll give inaccurate elevation readings.  Yes, it's also where the beeping sound comes from - but putting electrical tape over to soften the beeping sound does indeed have unwanted side effects...fwiw.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MapMyRide vs GarminConnect Rss Feed