General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bay area group training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-28 8:05 AM

User image

Regular
Durham, NC
Subject: Bay area group training
Hi Cali-athletes 

I'm a fellow BTer from the east coast (NC), posting for a close friend of mine from the bay area that is very interested to start training with the goal of eventually participating in her first Triathlon. She is exactly what this site is all about, a beginner. She has some "lite" experience in running and swimming but wants to learn a lot more in all 3 disciplines. 

She is looking to find some group runs or rides that maybe occur weekly that she can join to start her off. She is currently in the Pacific Heights area but would like to know of training in the surrounding areas as well. She'd also like some recommendations of pools (aquatic centers/gyms) in the area to start lap swimming.

Any recommendations would be helpful, I thank you guys.

P.S. I told my friend to get her self registered to the site, so she'll be posting with you all soon.

-AD

2010-05-28 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2888069

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
Subject: RE: Bay area group training
I just went through the search for a SF pool. The people I know from Pac Heights use the Presidio YMCA pool.  There is also the Jewish Community Center in Laurel Heights and Koret Center.  There are reviews on Yelp and all of the pools have web pages with their hours and rates.  I have been using my work pool so I haven't been to any of the above yet. 

Someone here recommended the Golden Gate Tri Club which I'll prob join.  See Jane Run in Noe has some all women tri training programs that a couple of friends have done and really enjoyed.  VeloGirls does some beginner 15mi rides from San Mateo to Woodside on Sat mornings.  They also have group rides from SF that are faster and more advanced.
2010-05-30 12:20 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Joining a tri club would be the best way to meet up with other folks.  I'm part of Golden Gate Tri Club and can highly recommend this group.  There is also the SF Tri Club (can't speak either way about them, but I'm sure they're a good org as well).

For pool, swimming there are many options, but here are a few.  There is the Embarcadero YMCA and the Presidio YMCA.  There is also a pool at UCSF and at the Bay Club.  There is also open water swimming in Aquatic Park (GGTC usually has a swim here every Sunday during spring-fall).

With any tri club, there are always organized rides and runs every week and weekend.  There are also formal training programs that she can join through GGTC if she wants more structure and specific coaching, etc.

Edited by enginerd 2010-05-30 12:21 PM
2010-06-01 2:11 PM

User image

Regular
Durham, NC
thanks a bunch for the info Chatagirl & enginerd. I've passed on the info.

AD
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bay area group training Rss Feed