General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Can you help an ignorant writer? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-11 8:19 PM

Subject: Can you help an ignorant writer?
Hi, everyone. I'm writing a novel in which one of my main characters attempts a triathlon for the first time. Having never even attended a tri, let alone competed in one, I could use some first hand information to make my scene as realistic as possible. Is there anyone willing to answer some questions for me? To show my gratitude, I'd be sure to mention your name in my author's note.

I'm likely to have a string of questions as time goes by, but here are some of my first ones.

What is included in a race kit? I saw elsewhere on this site that you might get "sponsor goodies," but specifically what type of goodies?

What were your thoughts/feelings as you first arrived?

What types of opportunities are there for friends/family to volunteer to help? I'm specifically looking for areas where the friend could see you during the race to cheer you on.

What's it like at the finish line? Is it crowded? I suppose it depends on when you finish. Let's suppose my character makes a decent time. What's the atmosphere? Is it noisy? Are there vendors there selling food or drink?

What has to be done after the race?

Thank so so very much!

Kim

2004-04-11 8:48 PM
in reply to: #17845

, Alabama
Subject: RE: Can you help an ignorant writer?
Kim, I'm sure there are lots of people who would love to help you. However, as far as atmosphere, what goes on and volunteer opportunities, it varies, particularly on the distance of the tri. What kind of distance tri is your character attempting? Sprint, oly, ironman, something else?As far as race kit goes, there is usually a color-coded swim cap (to identify the wave), at least one race number for the participant and bike, and sometimes a race number sticker for the helmet, there is also the cherished t-shirt. Potential goodies can include energy bars or gels, discount coupons from local tri, bike, or running stores, Jamba Juice coupons (YUM!), Heel Balm samples, sunscreen samples, any number of things. It would be your best interests to attend a tri, particularly if you know someone you can root for and really get a feel for the whole event. Hope that'll help start you on your way.Sharon
2004-04-11 10:04 PM

Oh, Sharon, thank you so much. Of course, I should have mentioned my character is attempting a sprint distance tri. So, would I assume then that there would be a lot of first timers there? Also, I'm hoping that some sprints are in the ocean and not in pools.

Ah ha, the caps are color coded! Wow, I could really have made a goof. How do they assign the waves? Is it according to skill level or is it more of a first come first served type thing?

2004-04-11 11:38 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Hey Kim!--

I'll answer some of your questions:

Race kit. Now by this I assume you mean (from your comment that the race provides them) that you are talking about the goodie bags they give you. I've had a range of them... from as little as a bag of jelly bellies and a dozen or so flyers introducing other races to sports bars, lip balm, face wash, healing balm for your feet and of course the ubiquitous flyers. You ALWAYS have the flyers!! Then you get a medal. I've always gotten a finishers medal. Your t-shirt. And for longer distances, I've also gotten damp towels with the race logos on it.

Let me know if you want to know what I pack in my race kit.

Thoughts and feelings as you arrive. Nerves. Definitely nerves. Which really, really makes you have to go to the bathroom. I felt like I spent a good third of my time, pre-race, dealing with porta potties. There's a lot of energy and camarderie as well. As you set up your transition area, you normally talk with the people around you. Your very close together. You find that you recheck your transition area frequently. There's a longing to connect... either with the people you are around or with those that have come with you. It's this really bizarre experience. I rarely see someone (in the sprint distances, which are less competitive) who isn't gratefully chatting someone else up. Once you've begun the race, you are kind of 'in the zone' but before you start it all seems so chaotic. People doing a thousand different things in a thousand different directions. Lots of noise. Moments before the race start: controlled terror. You are gathered in your wave group, behind another wave group and watching them go through their start. Now this is just me, but I feel very self-conscious--parading around in my tri-shorts and jogging bra. They are not particularly forgiving and all attention is focused on the swimmers.

Volunteers: Any number of ways. My favorite way to volunteer is to be a body marker. That's before the race, you get to be in the transition area (which other non-race folks are not allowed to do) and you mark the bodies of the participants with their race numbers (shoulder, back of leg , thigh). But also you could be working at a registration booth (not much to see during the race), you could be at one of the first aid stops, offering water or nutrition. For a sprint distance, they usually only have water stops, and only in the transition area and on the run--not on the bike). If the volunteer has some job related to the transition area, they could potentially (depends if your finish is off site or not) see the person they are there to cheer a few times (after the swim, after the bike, crossing the finish line)

After the race. At every tri I've done, they announce the first name and the city that the participant is coming from. They always have an announcer. It's definitely noisy. But you don't really notice it that much (I've been on it from both sides--observer and participant). You are pretty focused on crossing that finish line. There's something about seeing the big clock that really makes you start to sprint!! You know... maybe I can get in before the minute turns--maybe I can pass that one person right in front of me--etc. You don't know where they are, but you know there's a photographer and you're trying not to look to silly at that last moment... but something makes you want to dance as you cross that finish line, or throw up your arms, or toss yourself on the ground afterward. The first thing that they do when you finish is one person gives you a medal, while another clips off your timing chip (it's attached to your shoe). I have never been in a tri that didn't have a Championship timing device. You can own your own and get it calibrated for that race, but the race will provide you with one that must be returned. Then a few feet away are water bottles. They always have some free eats: sports bars, bananas are the staples, but they have lots of different things too. There are vendors set up at the finish line--for food, for sports stuff and for race mementos. Shortly after all those things, you get mobbed by your cheering session. Then you take photos (of course) which display your silly I-finished-this-ridiculous-race grin in them!

Most importantly after a race, you have to cool down and stretch. It's really easy to forget that in the midst of the hubbub.
Secondly, there is normally a time limit of when you need to clear out the transition area. Also it's good to go back and take care of that, because it's confusing and easy to mix up your stuff with someone elses. (I lost a pair of biking gloves that (I'm sure) must have looked like a thousand other people's biking gloves.) You check your equipment. I clean my bike up. Give it a wipe down and clean the chain. Inventory my stuff.

Take a nap--you are tuckered afterward!

Good luck, Kim! Hope the info was helpful. I've done several sprints and a couple of Olys. I'm doing my first 1/2IM this year.

I'm pretty curious about what you are writing about...

Dana

2004-04-12 12:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
i'm entering my first tri later this year, but i am going to watch one in two weeks. i will be sure to make some notes about the atmosphere to educate myself, and if you like, i will pass any notable observations on to you. good luck with your research in the meantime.
2004-04-12 12:25 AM

Dana,

Wow, TONS of valuable information. The big clock, the announcing of the person/city...it's stuff like that that will make the setting realistic. I also love the personal details, like the grin on your face, and the wanting to throw yourself on the ground. You guys are great for helping me out! Thank you very much.

Since you answered so many of my questions, I should answer yours! I'm writing a contemporary romance novel. I know a lot of people pooh-pooh the romance genre, but it actually accounts for over half the sales of paperback fiction (over a billion bucks a year).

The triathlon chapter occurs near the end of the book. My characters, Jack and Nina, parted ways angrily, and yet she was the one who encouraged him to follow through on his longtime dream to finish a tri. So, this running this race alone is supposed to bring home the fact that he was an idiot and he should swallow his pride and go back to her. Especially since he makes friends with a guy in the transition area whose fiance is there.

Maybe someone might even want to read the chapter after I write the first draft to see if I've made any glaring errors... I'd also love to hear from a guy about any guy type specifics--difficulties, things to consider that would only apply to a male. For instance, would a guy experience any feelings of wanting to hold back from thrashing in the water in order to avoid hitting a woman? Do most men shave their legs? Do you feel stupid wearing the cap?

Also, tell me about this timing chip. How do they attach it to your leg? Could you describe it to me?

Thanks again so so much! I can't tell you how valuable this is.

2004-04-12 12:28 AM

Cristin, you must have been posting while I was writing my reply to Dana. It would be terrific for you to take notes. If you can, think about your five senses while you're taking notes. Scenes really come to life when you include, not only sights, but smells, feelings, sounds, etc.

Thank you so much.

Kim
2004-04-12 12:36 AM

, Alabama

Just a few other things not mentioned; the waves are determined by age group and/or gender, which can be good or bad, since that means before the race you can just look at race cap color and see what really intimidating-looking people are in your age group.  No matter, the age is also usually body-marked on the back of the calf, so you can be intimidated on the bike and run as well!.  Being of master's age (40 and up) as well as female, I'm usually stuck in one of the last waves.  Very frustrating when you want to just start and get it over with already, but it also means most of the bikes are gone by the time I've finished my swim and it's easy to find my bike.  The timing of the waves has been as little as 30 seconds apart and as much as 5 minutes apart in my experience.

One thing I always find myself doing before the race is checking and rechecking my stuff in the transition area, always afraid I've forgotten something and making sure my stuff is arranged in the easiest way possible for retrieval.  Do my tires have enough air?  Is the bike pointing in the right direction?  Where's my race number!?!  YIKES! 

Camraderie is great at a race.  I do a lot of local sprints, as well as a few out-of-town races at longer distances.  There are always people I know and always new people to meet and see next race.  Which is nice, because sometimes it takes FOREVER (not really, but seems like it) for them to calculate results and give out trophies.  But even that is filled with pictures and chatting with people that just finished the same crazy thing I did!

Sharon

2004-04-12 12:51 AM

, Alabama

Wow, Kim, 2 or 3 posts were put in while I was making my last one.  

The timing chip is about the size of an oversized watch and attached to a velcro strap like an oversized watch band.  It is wrapped around the ankle.  At the end of the race, there are usually volunteers that bend down and take it off you so you don't have to.  (not always a good idea to stop and bend over right after that much exertion).  The chips are great.  They time you from the start of the race, there's a mat at the end of the swim when you run up the beach (UGH) that will give a little beep when you cross it so you get your swim split.  You run into the transition area, wiggle off the wetsuit (if the water was cold enough to warrant it), get the bike shoes and helmet on and run out of the transition area with the bike (you're very rarely allowed to be riding your bike in the transition area for safety reasons) where there is another mat which records your transition split.  Then you mount your bike which can sometimes be an interesting activity in itself, especially if it's cool out and you're all wet.  At the end of the bike, you dismount and cross another mat into the transition area and get your bike split.  Then you re-rack the bike, change into the running shoes (DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THE HELMET OFF!!)  and run out the transition area, with that mat beeping at you for that transition split and you're off.  Or so they say.  The beginning of the run is a lovely study on how well jelly can move.  The legs had been in cycling mode, are tired, and now they're supposed to run.  It can take over a mile before they realize that and go from flopping to striding!  Every water stop, every mile marker is a blessing because now it's just a matter of "when can I be done".  Then there is that finishing clock 100 yards down the road and the pace picks up.  There are spectators all along the area cheering on anyone that's made it this far.  It's awesome.  Legs are too tired, so attention has to switch to arms.  If you move the arms faster, the legs have to follow.  Gotta sprint!  Gotta get done before the clock ticks to the next minute.  Pump the arms more and you're across that line!  Sweat pouring, one volunteer giving water, another taking off the chip band.  If you keel over, there's a volunteer for that, too.  Kim, I say again.  It would be great for you to see one for yourself to really get a picture of it. 

By the way, if you were wondering how they get your name to announce at the finish line, it's that chip again.  A lot of bigger races have yet another mat to cross about 100 yds from the finish.  The announcers have a monitor in front of them and when you cross it, your name comes up on the screen.  It is really a boost when you hear your name announced.

Sharon

Edited by snikpos 2004-04-12 12:54 AM

2004-04-12 1:10 AM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Now that Sharon's posted, it reminds of tons of other things as well.

Not a guy, but I have to say that it's about halfsies when it comes to shaving. You might want to do a search of this site, as there was a thread (maybe 6 or 7 weeks back) all about guys shaving and asking for help/insight from other men and women too.

Funny as well as informative!

I'd love to read your chapter. I too will think about my senses on my next tri. It's 3 weeks out. I'll send you any info via private messaging.

And although, I mentioned it before, Sharon's right--you do sort of obsessively check your stuff and it's position. Also you have pre-race nutrition, too.

D

Dana L.
2004-04-12 1:13 AM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Here's the link to the thread I just mentioned.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I'm going to bed now and I WILL stop obsessing about triathlons (for tonight!!)

Dana

2004-04-12 9:09 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: Helping a good writer...
I wish I could offer some informative input but I will not be doing my first tri until May 22! I have wanted to do a tri since 1984 but have always found a reason (procrastination) to put it off. Until this year that is. This year I signed up for a tri and feel compelled to follow through with it or else lose my entry fee. Anyways, you asked if you someone would like to read the chapter to see if there are any glaring mistakes. I think that we all would love to read that chapter, if not the whole book, and offer whatever comments we may have.
2004-04-12 12:02 PM

Machiavelo, thanks for your offer to read the chapter. In your case, I'd want you to read it after you race, so you can compare your actual experience to the one I write about.

Another question: When you first arrive, do you have your bike and gear with you, or do you leave it with your car, register, and THEN set up in transition area?
2004-04-12 1:12 PM

Oh, I WOULD like to know what you all bring with you to the race. Thanks!
2004-04-12 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
I'm back, Kim! Of course, I should be working, but somehow, answering your question seems preferrable!!

First--most tris you register the day before. You get your packet, your number, your wave assignment (all of mine have been gender segregated and age designated--men go first from youngest to oldest, and then women youngest to oldest. Well actually pros and collegiate go first then those other categories) So then on race day you get to go straight to your transition area.

Wait I should qualify this. Small races probably have same day registration (less than a thousand participants). That's never been my experience. In fact, YOU MUST register the day before.

Next--what do you bring:

I come to the race wearing what I'll take into the water leg: tri-shorts and a sports bra with some sort of warm coverup.
I bring the following equipment stuffed in my bag:

My swim cap (provided by the race, as they are color-coded for wave starts)
Goggles
(I don't wear a wetsuit, as I don't own one--but if I did, I'd have that and BodyGlide (very important) as it makes it easier to pull off wet wetsuit. Some people use Pam (ick!) but BodyGlide is a great product. You put it on your wrists and ankles in particular, but you can be more excessive than that.)
Towel to put my stuff on (I bring a special one--my lucky rag)
Small towel to dry my feet before I put them into my shoes
water bottle with squirt top to wash off my feet before I dry them
Bike
Helmet
Glasses (very important when riding--besides sun, you're dealing with bugs and dust)
Race belt--it hooks around your waist and you can put your race number on it
water bottle
sports drink bottle
Gloves
Bike shoes & non-cotton socks (alternatively you can bike in your running shoes if you don't have clipless pedals)
2nd jogging bra (that I pull over my wet one)
Biking jersey
Running shoes
banana--it's a long wait until your start
gel packs (nutrition for the course--you normally eat one approx. 20-30 minutes before the race, and then every 45 minutes)
watch--very important to track your split times, etc. Split times are like this: you track the time it takes you do bike half of your leg and then you try to (depending on your philosophy) try to match it or beat it. On the run, you might check your times for every mile
protein sports bar for after the race, so as not to lose muscle mass.

I think that's it, Kim, but then again... I'm sitting at my desk at work--

Dana

2004-04-13 12:08 AM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho

Are you from New Zealand KIWI?

Welcome

2004-04-13 2:05 PM

Alas, no, I'm not from New Zealand. I took the first two letters of my first and last name and put them together. Plus, I'm sorta small and round, like a kiwi fruit.
2004-04-13 2:07 PM

Thanks again, Dana. Really valuable information. My chapter is shaping up nicely. I hope to be able to get to it some more this afternoon. This morning was a bust for writing. I had other work to take care of. I'll let you guys know when it's ready to be reviewed.
2004-04-13 2:53 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
"...sort of small and round like a kiwi fruit", that's good there kiwi. You should put that in your story somewhere; a little chuckle is always welcome. You could even start your book with "It was a dark and dreary night and our hero, small and round like a kiwi fruit, was deliberating whether to drink a case of beer and eat a pizza or train for his triathlon..."

Edited by Machiavelo 2004-04-13 2:53 PM
2004-04-14 7:18 PM

Unfortunately, I've already made my hero un-kiwi-like. Maybe next time! Heh heh.

Question: What do you consider a "small" event as far as number of racers?
2004-04-25 3:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
hey kiwi!

i went and scoped out the tri in las vegas today and i wanted to see if you had any specific questions about the atmosphere. i don't know that i can do any better than the other answers you've received, but i'll surely help.

2004-04-27 2:16 AM

I have no other specific question, Cristin, because I've finished the chapter. However, if you, and anyone else, cares to read it, I'd appreciate some feedback. I want you guys to point out anything that doesn't ring true for you as a triathlete, no matter how nit-picky. Feel free to make suggestions, criticize, and/or correct me. I have a very thick skin when it comes to my writing.

Thanks a bunch for all your help, everyone. I could not have written this chapter, a key one, if it wasn't for your willingness to answer my seemingly endless questions!

Kim

Edited by KiwiWriter 2004-04-27 2:20 AM
2004-04-27 2:16 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Congrats, Kim!

I was just thinking last night, that I wondered how it was going for you. So curious to see what kind of tri details you used...

(o:

Dana
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Can you help an ignorant writer? Rss Feed