General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipless...So Difficult! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-05 10:22 AM

Regular
Price, UT
Subject: Clipless...So Difficult!
So this weekend, I got my bike back from the shop, and I purchased some shoes and cleats for my bike which has clipless peddals. (Actually, I am borrowing the bike) So I rode in my bf's driveway so that he could catch me if I fell. Well, I thought I had it, fell to the ground, not too hard though. But I am just having a hard time, I am so used to just being able to put my foot down that I don't think about clipping out. I practiced about 7 times with just one foot in, it was still pretty difficult. Does anyone have any good ideas for practicing to get used to? Or any tips? Really, ANY advice or ideas, or tips would help right now. I am not too scared of crashing so that's not the issue, I just don't want to try to get off my bike and just have my foot stuck...please help! Thanks so much!

Mindi

2005-07-05 10:28 AM
in reply to: #190354

User image

Veteran
Arlington, MA
Subject: RE: Clipless...So Difficult!
I started to use clipless pedals this year and so far, this is what I've learned.

1) When you want to clip out, don't pull up on your foot. Your first move should be to rotate your heel away from the bike. Pulling up is bad...I still have a scar because of that.
2) When I first started, I found that it was sometimes easier to clip out when the pedal was at the top of its rotation, and my knee was bent.
3) Try to remember to clip out in anticipation of stopping...if you wait until you've already stopped, you'll have some problems.

If I think of any other suggestions, I'll let you know. Out of curiousity, what kind of pedals are they?

Edited by mr. eff 2005-07-05 10:29 AM
2005-07-05 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Malvern, PA
i loosened the tension a decent amount so they almost pop right out when I twist my ankle and pull up - then as I got better just gradually tightened up the tension again
2005-07-05 10:39 AM

Regular
Price, UT
The pedals are Shimano Resest (sp?) and the little gauge on the back says that the tension is almost as "low" as it can go. Does that mean loose? Thanks for the tips, I will have to try cliping out at the top, never thought of that!
2005-07-05 10:58 AM

robbinsville, nj
find a big, open parking lot that you can ride circles in and spend 15-20 minutes clipping in and clipping out while you ride - don't bother stopping, preferrably with a friend that can look out for cars and such. after a while, you'll figure out the timing and position that your legs to be in and the mechanics will start to feel natural.
2005-07-05 11:04 AM
in reply to: #190395

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

I agree with a previous poster: if you are anticipating a possible stop then just unclip and coast. The first several rides with clippless I was scared to death of falling in public, or worse yet, scratching my bike! I made a point of unclipping early, sometimes unnecessarily, but figured I'd rather have to clip back in if I didn't need to stop than to be unprepared and topple over. I still unclip when coming up on intersections, just in case. I'm sure that in a panicked stop situation, I'd surely forget to unclip.

Only happened once, second ride, busy 4-lane intersection, next to a little old lady at a stoplight. I still can't be sure to this day if the look of horror on her face was out of concern for my safety or her reaction to the string of profanity that spewed forth from my mouth!

2005-07-05 11:10 AM

User image

Salt Lake City, UT
Do you have access to a trainer? Thats how I learned to clip in and out and get comfortable with the pedals. Its much easier to learn and get comfortable with it if the bike is firm on its own.

As for getting use to it...this is what I do/learned.

1. Choose the foot you feel most comfortable pushing off with to clip in first (on the push off) Then clip the other one in after a few pedals
2. Always unclip with the same foot -- I always unclip and step down with my right. I didn't do that once and well, the cement and I got close
3. I would find a larger area than a drive to practice in...maybe an empty parking lot at the mall..someplace with a longer open area (of course I'm picturing your boyfriends driveway is like mine-- small and short so no real room to bike.)

Good luck. You can do it!!
2005-07-05 11:12 AM

Regular
Price, UT
So Just try clipping out while I am still riding? But just kinda slow down? I will practice that. I am going to get up extra early this week in order to practice. I need a lot of it. How long did it take all of you to get used to them? Hours, Days, Weeks?
2005-07-05 11:14 AM

Regular
Price, UT
Thanks Sulis for the tips. My bf's driveway is probably 20 yds. but I see what you mean, I had no room to ride in circles. This whole experience should be very interesting... Thanks for all you help everyone.
2005-07-05 11:25 AM
in reply to: #190409

User image

Pro
Evanston,
that's what i'm doing at this point. just got my clipless pedals & shoes last week, and i just clip out while I'm riding, probably more than 10 yards from where i need to stop. so far so good.
2005-07-05 11:56 AM

Conroe, Texas
Find a sturdy pole, fence, immovable object of some kind. Get on your bike and hold on to the pole for balance. While stationary, clip in and clip out until you feel comfortable. Once you have taught your feet this new motion, try clipping in and out while moving. Remember two things; practice makes perfect, and you WILL fall at least once because you didn't clip out

2005-07-05 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
I actually didn't find the transition to clipless that big of a deal. You just need to remember to clip out before you stop. I pedal without being clipped in on one foot if I am coming up to a stop. I'd recommend that you try this if you are having trouble: clip in on one foot and leave the other out. When you stop, practice just clipping that one foot out until you get the hang of it. I am using shimano SPD Mtb bike pedals though so they might be easier to clip out of than some other kinds.
2005-07-05 2:15 PM

User image

Bellevue, WA/Chicago, IL
personally, I just learned by riding as much as possible. Yea, you're going to fall, that's part of life (and riding clipless )

But here are my tips:
(1) while stopped, figure out what it feels like to take your foot out of the pedal...so put one foot in, and take it out, rinse and repeat. (so like one foot on the ground, standing over the bike, put one in, and take it out, etc)
(2) Once you've got that down, I'd suggest riding while praticing...your moving momentum will give you some time to get your foot out and everything.
(3) With the falling over -- it's not that you are in capable of getting your foot out, you...just forget to :-P
(4) When riding in traffic, I'd typically unclip as I slow down to a light, and then lift my foot out as I came to a stop -- but note! Just remember which foot you took out and remember whether you did it (the commotion in traffic can make you forget!)
(5) just practice practice practice :-P
2005-07-05 2:16 PM

Regular
Price, UT
I didn't find the transition to be "that big of deal" but I do find it hard. I am not really into biking that much so I haven't for years, and with the transition of having your feet free, and then having them locked in, I found to be more complicated. Anyways, thanks everyone for your tips and your help, I appreciate it!

Mindi
2005-07-05 2:18 PM

Regular
Price, UT
Thanks Robert for those tips, I will incorporate them into my bike workout!
2005-07-05 2:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
Just for the record Mindi, I wasn't trying to sound snotty about it not being a big deal. It was just that before I got my clipless everyone told me I was going to keep falling over and so far I haven't fallen yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed though!

2005-07-05 2:41 PM

Regular
Price, UT
Oh, i knew that you wern't being snotty, I just hoped that you didn't think that I was like "AHHH what do I do? What do I do?????" But as you as well being a lab lover, I know you have a big heart. Thanks for the help!!! Labs Rule!
2005-07-05 3:32 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Just practice, practice, practice. I am now just starting to get the feel of it. I can unclip easily (about 3 weeks with them now) but clipping in, I fish, and I fish, and I swear some, and I fish, then I get it! I am really good at riding with one foot in and the other fishing.

The only bit of good advice I have is at a stop light, unless you are good, unclip BOTH feet. I didn't and time and time again I would forget and over I went. I felt like a complete dork because it always happens in slow motion.

and me, me, me... ahem..

Huskies Rule, All others drool

Edited by nliedel 2005-07-05 3:34 PM
2005-07-06 8:22 PM
in reply to: #190709

User image

New user

NoVa - soon to be SC
Man, the worse thing about it for me is coming to an intersection and debating whether to go or not, waiting till the last possible second to unclip. I've crashed three times at intersections for hesitating to long. Now i just unclip reguardless and clip in quickly if the coast is clear.

Definitely practice clipping in fast as well as unclipping. Sometimes cars come out of nowhere and if you are looking down at your pedals and taking your sweet time crossing then you could be in trouble.

Oh, I just though of something that I do....; I'll unclip but I won't take my foot completely out. I'll keep my heal turned out but the top of my shoe is still in place and the back is ready to be clipped back in. So if i decided to continue foward I'll just popped them back in without having to line everything back up and wasting time crossing, or I'll just take my foot out completely and stop.

I also unclip at the top of the pedal stroke.

I'm a clipless newbie too but it took no time to become proficient at it. Don't worry too much, you'll be a pro soon.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipless...So Difficult! Rss Feed