General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those doing the OLY at Blue lake tomorrow Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-05 6:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: For those doing the OLY at Blue lake tomorrow
I just got home from urgent care because there is a section on the bike portion that is soon to be repaved, but has already been shaved off.  There is a 2.5-3 inch lip between the road and bike lane. IT IS NOT MARKED and you cant see it.  The Race voulenteer was not warning either.  There were 4 of us that crashed.  One went to the hospital with a really nasty head injury, and leg injury, I crashed at 20MPH and spent 3 hours in urgent care getting my entire left side and right hand cleaned of the road dirt and grime, and one person screwed up their knee.   I am not writing this to , just to warn you of this it is not safe at all.  My race partner and I talked to the officials and hopefully something will be done for you guys tomorrow.  Good luck, and stay safe.

2010-06-05 6:58 PM
in reply to: #2902875

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: For those doing the OLY at Blue lake tomorrow
This was at mile 1.7 of the sprint distance . 
2010-06-05 7:13 PM

Master
portland, or
Sorry to hear that. A friend of mine was out watching the race and crashed at that spot on his way home. He fared ok, but his new Plasma is cracked.

Heal quick.

scott
2010-06-05 8:59 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

That's terrible. I hope everyone recovers quickly. Seems that should have been mentioned by someone with all the emails that went out on the parking issue

2010-06-05 9:24 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Thanks for the heads up. I was rather surprised that stretch hasn't been repaved yet (It's been months!) when I was out there last weekend. I'm also surprised they didn't mention it in the race briefing. Will take it slow tomorrow. With more rain scheduled in the morning that stretch is not gonna be pretty a'tall. That sucks about the crash/es - hope you heal quickly!
2010-06-06 3:05 PM

New user

Bend
Saw all of the emergency vehicles when I was headed out on the ride. Hoping for a quick recovery to all! I hope the marked that section for the race today!

2010-06-06 10:56 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Sorry to hear of all the crashes.  Hope for a speedy recovery for all. 

At the Oly today they gave us a warning.  I think there still were a few crashed but didn't hear if any of them were real severe or resulted in injury.  I think one of them was from a member of our Tri Club.  Crashes none the less and heartbreaking to the participants.

The other issue was that is was a bloody mud fest.  Ankle deep in mud everywhere.  Going down that steep incline after turning off the road coming back into the park and down to the waters edge was quite a ride.  Very slippery and dangerous.  I wonder how many people fell there.
2010-06-06 11:36 PM

User image

Veteran
I was thinking this morning that the race was gonna be nasty today, and that I am glad that I raced yesterday.  My boss raced today and said that he had a muddy nasty blast.  I believe the term "much like Woodstock" was used.   
I hope all had a great race.

I am healing, and will be going for a run tomorrow.  The training will not end from this wreck.
2010-06-07 5:45 PM
in reply to: #2904296

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Epic conditions out there for sure.

I don't know what was worse  - riding over that mat back into the park before t2 or the mud slope - i slipped on that but didnt fall, but was walking it very carefully. Took me three rinses to get all the mud out of my wetsuit. Taking a hose to the shoes next!

TriGuyBri - 2010-06-06 8:56 PM Sorry to hear of all the crashes.  Hope for a speedy recovery for all. 

At the Oly today they gave us a warning.  I think there still were a few crashed but didn't hear if any of them were real severe or resulted in injury.  I think one of them was from a member of our Tri Club.  Crashes none the less and heartbreaking to the participants.

The other issue was that is was a bloody mud fest.  Ankle deep in mud everywhere.  Going down that steep incline after turning off the road coming back into the park and down to the waters edge was quite a ride.  Very slippery and dangerous.  I wonder how many people fell there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those doing the OLY at Blue lake tomorrow Rss Feed