General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Maintenace Questions- Handlebar Tape and Cables Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-05 12:27 PM

Master
Shreveport, LA
Subject: Bike Maintenace Questions- Handlebar Tape and Cables
I have to take in my back wheel to get it trued or some spokes replaced and started thinking about what else needs to be done. I have questions about handlebar tape and new cables.

I know that it is time for me to wrap my handlebars because there is electrical tape covering a large portion of the handlebars (I bought a used bike). Anyway, I have a few questions.

1. Is it difficult to wrap your own or is it worth the $15 to let the bike shop do it? I have the instructions in Zinn's Art of Road Bike Maint., but what sounds easy might not be.

2. Any recommendations on tape. Just regular cork, gel, etc?

3. How often should this be done?

The second area I would like some advice one is cables. This I would not do myself, because I don't have the tools and not sure if I could do it correctly.

4. How do you know when you need new cables?

5. What will they improve (probably answered with the answer to question 4)?

2005-07-05 1:00 PM
in reply to: #190511

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
Subject: RE: Bike Maintenace Questions- Handlebar Tape and Cables

1. Nope. Follow ING's advice and "save your money". This is a case of sounding easy really being easy.

2. If you don't know what the difference is between all the types, I don't think it will really make a difference to you. Just look at the good quality tapes and buy the cheapest - I think regular cork is okay, it cushions and is durable. My LBS talked me out of gel. One thing I would recommend is tape with the adhesive back. I put this type on then swapped it out for flashy splash-coloured tape that didn't have the adhesive backing and found it a little harder.

3. I would guess when the tape is dirty beyond cleaning, torn/ripped/ratty, becomes loose and cannot be re-wrapped to tighten or when the colour just doesn't do anything for you anymore

4. When my LBS mechanic tells me. I've never had to worry about it yet, but I immagine when the brakes/shifting doesn't work as smoothly.  

5. smoother shifting/braking/no sticking.

2005-07-05 1:04 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Wrapping tape is fairly easy. Get cork.

You need new cables when the old ones are not working or are rusty, kinked, or otherwise played out.

2005-07-05 5:29 PM

Austin, Texas
You can't go wrong with good ol' Cinelli cork tape. Just take your time wrapping them. The adhesive backed kind is better, but realize that it is hard to unwrap and do it over if you screw up.

When it comes to cables, the issue is more with your housing. The cables may look fine, but the housing could be full of dirt and crap that is causing a lot of shifting resistance. If you are having shifting issues, I would check everything else first, clean your drivetrain, cable tension, etc. And if you are still having problems then the cables may need to be replaced. Cables aren't something you replace very often for regular riding, unless they get rusty or frayed.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Maintenace Questions- Handlebar Tape and Cables Rss Feed