General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lingering gluteus medius injury and HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-07 8:50 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: Lingering gluteus medius injury and HIM
I did a half mary about a month ago and acquired a glut medius strain. Didn't feel it at the time, but after the fact it was fairly sore just walking with a sharp pain. My first run after the half was accompanied by this sharp pain, so I took a few days off, stretched and tried again on a shorter run. Long story short, its still present. I've started strengthening (leg abductions, etc--it was quite weak--I could hardly get through 20 abductions at first) and stretching. I don't seem to have pain with short 4-5km runs and the pain now is more of a dull ache on/after longer runs. I'm really wondering how I should proceed at this point with a HIM on Aug 1. (Yes, I do know I probably should have taken time off in May--but I had an Oly and its too late to go back now--I also figured it would be self-limiting and just go away) So now I'm debating from just cutting running out for the next 2 weeks (sprint June 20) and putting all my time into swim/bike and strengthening or just doing around 4 short 4-5km runs a week and adding more swim/bike after that? So basically cut out running or not? Its quite frustrating and with a HIM looming in the not so distant future I am a bit perplexed about what to do. Thoughts?

2010-06-07 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2904695

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Lingering gluteus medius injury and HIM
I guess I should mention too that it doesn't bother me swimming and biking
2010-06-07 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2905200

I am on month number 4 of this same injury after a yoga class. Got an xray to rull out anything bad and the ortho doc said glut med/TFL inflammation with lots of wekaness. I had 3 sessions of PT with lots of psoas stretching/ glut med/TFL soft tissue mobs. Yes, I completed a HIM in the middle of all this. The best things that help me are....Aleve pre-run, psoas, quad and TFL stretching several times weekly and Kinesiotape that hip prior to the long runs. Also, engage that core as you run. I can tell a definate difference if I let my pelvis roll forward when I get tired.

Keep up the strengthening and add lots of stretching of quad/psoas to realign your pelvis. Mine is a whole lot better here lately as I can get a 90 min run with some pain but improves as I go as opposed to a run stopper.

Good luck come August!

C
2010-06-07 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2904695

User image

Expert
MI
Sorry I have no suggestions for you but just wanted to say good luck!  I ran a half marathon yesterday even though I probably shouldn't have due to a kind of injury of my foot from stupidly running into a chair.  Of course it feels worse today, and on top of that an old hamstring injury flared up during the run which never bothered me majorly during training!   Anyway, I'm signed up for an HIM also (September), and I'm just planning on cutting out the running for the next couple of weeks and doing extra swimming and biking.  I do have a sprint on June 23 which I will probably do no matter what, which again probably may not be the smartest idea.... one of these days I will learn that it is not good to train and/or race through injuries...!!  lol.

Good luck!
2010-06-07 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2905643

User image

Champion
michgirlsk - 2010-06-07 11:56 AM Sorry I have no suggestions for you but just wanted to say good luck!  I ran a half marathon yesterday even though I probably shouldn't have due to a kind of injury of my foot from stupidly running into a chair.  Of course it feels worse today, and on top of that an old hamstring injury flared up during the run which never bothered me majorly during training!   Anyway, I'm signed up for an HIM also (September), and I'm just planning on cutting out the running for the next couple of weeks and doing extra swimming and biking.  I do have a sprint on June 23 which I will probably do no matter what, which again probably may not be the smartest idea.... one of these days I will learn that it is not good to train and/or race through injuries...!!  lol.

Good luck!

Thanks. Its hard to not train/race through injuries. I've done it since I was about 14yrs old and old habits die hard. Especially when my tri season is regulated within a certain time frame because I'm from the great white north.

I guess we can be buddies in our possible less than smartness? haha
2010-06-07 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2905280

User image

Champion
Cayenne - 2010-06-07 10:22 AM I am on month number 4 of this same injury after a yoga class. Got an xray to rull out anything bad and the ortho doc said glut med/TFL inflammation with lots of wekaness. I had 3 sessions of PT with lots of psoas stretching/ glut med/TFL soft tissue mobs. Yes, I completed a HIM in the middle of all this. The best things that help me are....Aleve pre-run, psoas, quad and TFL stretching several times weekly and Kinesiotape that hip prior to the long runs. Also, engage that core as you run. I can tell a definate difference if I let my pelvis roll forward when I get tired. Keep up the strengthening and add lots of stretching of quad/psoas to realign your pelvis. Mine is a whole lot better here lately as I can get a 90 min run with some pain but improves as I go as opposed to a run stopper. Good luck come August! C

Thanks. I will definately look into taping. I've been thinking about doing that to get a bit more support.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lingering gluteus medius injury and HIM Rss Feed