Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Major Career/Income Change Anyone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-05 5:33 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: Major Career/Income Change Anyone?
I'm giving some serious thought to getting out of the medical field completely and going back to school to get a teaching certification. I'm a little worried that it may be one of those situations where the "grass seems greener". I know I'll take a serious pay cut, but I'm willing to accept that as part of the deal.Anyone have any career change experiences good or bad for perspective? I'm especially interested in the experiences of teachers, but any info would be helpful. Thanks!

2005-07-05 5:39 PM
in reply to: #190845

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: Major Career/Income Change Anyone?
Public school? High School? College? Grade School (surely not!)?
2005-07-05 5:48 PM
in reply to: #190851

User image

Elite
Texas

Writebrained - 2005-07-05 5:39 PM Public school? High School? College? Grade School (surely not!)?

Public school. (Why not grade school?)   Not college. Perhaps high school or jr. high/middle school.

2005-07-05 6:05 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL
...some random and seemingly contradictory thoughts....

I've got my teaching certificate. During my student teaching - I made the mistake of eating lunch in the Teacher's Lounge. My bubble was popped!

I've been a police officer for 18 years but plan on teaching college level part time at some point, and full time when I retire. I really enjoy education - working on my Masters currently.

I still sub once in awhile but still struggle with the "public school culture (teacher apathy)." Maybe you should see if your school district will let you sub or if they need emergency tudors (ill children at home or hospital). I would try this 1st and move with caution.

In my mid-thirties, I got a BAD case of wanderlust! I'm glad I dug in and have stuck things out...good things come to those who wait.

I know this is not what you want to hear....I surely didn't. But I'm now glad I stuck things out.

The paradox is - if it wasn't for some great teachers in my past, I wouldn't have as many opportunities as I've had... (I guess follow your mind and your heart, but proceed with a calculated caution.) Best wishes, no matter what.
2005-07-05 6:42 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Bill,
I left a job I hated (but had a nice paycheck) 3 years ago.  I've been a full-time student since, seeing how I had to start at square one and get my undergrad degree.  Somewhere along the way I decided to be a teacher.  It really started as a joke:  What are the 3 best reasons to teach?  June, July, and August (train, train, train).  But now as I am nearing graduation I find I am really looking forward to having my own classroom.

When I tool my first edu. class, I was thinking of middle school.  Then I spent one day a week for a semester in an 8th grade class and completely changed my mind!  LOL  What a bunch of hormonal animals!  So I changed to elementary and have been happy with that decision ever since.

This past spring semester I spent a lot of time hands-on in many different classrooms.  When my school semester ended,  I subbed for a local school department until the end of the school year.  It worked out well and I am still happy with my decision to get into elementary ed.  Yes, it is a cut in pay, but it's better than the NOTHING I've been making for the last 3 years.  I'll do my student teaching this fall, graduate in January, and probably just sub for the rest of the year because we are moving out of state.

Eventually, I would like to get my doctorate in elementary education, but that is a long way down the road.

So what is it about your current position that is making you think about making the change?

2005-07-05 6:58 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
I'm a med tech. I like it/hate it. The hours suck, the pay is okay (but less than the national standard). I took courses in billing/coding. But, nobody will hire me, nevermind the 15 years I've been in a lab, because I"ve got no experience. My sil is a RN. She went from pharmacy tech to LPN to AS RN to BS RN to Masters in Nursing, ARNP, and now has a PhD. She's working currently in a burn unit as an ARNP and is now looking to teach at the college level. She's always wanted to teach, don't know how that's gonna work out. She's famous for not staying in one place long. I worked full time for many years, but after the birth of kid #2 I took a part time position. Pay was cut in half, but we've made ends meet so far. That alone cut down on a lot of stress and unhappiness I was having from just being in that environment.

2005-07-05 7:11 PM
in reply to: #190891

User image

Elite
Texas

TriMom217 - 2005-07-05 6:42 PM Bill,
So what is it about your current position that is making you think about making the change?

I have a somewhat unusual job. I am basically an emergency response guy inside a hospital. Someone quits breathing or goes into cardiac arrest, I go and initiate the resuscitation process (medications, put in breathing tubes, etc) until an emergency physician can get there. I also do ultrasound guided central catheter placements for long term IV treatment. I work part time as a flight paramedic for a helicopter service. I am getting a degree in biochemistry (part time student) so I can apply to medical school. However.....much of the work I've done inside the hospital has made me have serious second thoughts. So many things that go undone or are done incorrectly...and it's acceptable. I do not want to be an alarmist, seeing as we all get sick or have family members who are hospitalized. But the healthcare system (it's not just here) has ample room for improvement, suffice to say. I just don't sleep well knowing what goes on, and knowing it's okay as long as profits are being made. Example: 97 year old patients having bypass surgery. And, at least once a day, I see someone somewhere verbally abused by at least one physician simply because they are in a bad mood.

The appeal of teaching (aside from the schedule) is the opportunity for mentorship. In the process of all of this I tried to think of the last time I was really happy. It was when I was a leader in the 75th Ranger Regiment. I can't go back and do that now. I have a daughter I want to see grow up! But what was best about that job was the opportunity to teach, coach, and mentor outstanding young men. I loved trying to figure out what style of leadership each guy would respond to and then apply it and watch them develop into world-class soldiers. It was very hard to leave. But I think I could do that as a teacher too.

2005-07-05 7:18 PM

User image

Master
Michigan
I am a fulltime firefighter/paramedic and have been doing it for five years. I work 8-9 days a month and have great job security and make a good living. But I am do not feel fulfilled with my current job, though it can be exciting at times I find myself getting bored mentally. I just turned thirty so I feel as if I am getting to the point of no return when it comes to a career. I have 10 more credits for my BSN, then I will take the MCAT and apply to med schools. Hey your never too old right.
2005-07-05 7:47 PM
in reply to: #190921

User image

Resident Matriarch
yes, I think you could apply your style of leadership to teaching as well.  It is pretty rewarding at the end of the day, when the kid you've butted heads with all day long, comes up and gives you a hug and apologizes for his behavior.  Then tells you he'll be better tomorrow and he is! 

Of course the child trying to jump out the window is a different story  LOL

I find it much easier to deal with it all since my kids are much older, 19 and 15.  It's not like I race home to my own little kids after spending all day around children, and a little experience goes a long way in this field. 

2005-07-05 7:48 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Do what you think will make you happy.  I am a physician..I do orthopedic surgery/sports medicine and I LOVE my job.  There are good and bad people in every profession, but I can't control anyone but myself.  If you think you will hate it then don't go to med school because you will always be unhappy.  I made a change to come here to Fl and took a pay cut (a big one) but I am Sooo much happier.  There is more to life than money.  I'd say follow your heart.
2005-07-05 8:03 PM
in reply to: #190966

User image

Resident Matriarch
There is more to life than money.

BINGO! We have a winner here!

Yes, it's true.  I walked away from a really good paycheck because I hated it and I was miserable.  The thought of doing it for another 30 years made me want to put a gun in my mouth.  When those thoughts started creeping in, I knew I had to give it up, no matter what the financial consequences were.  And there have been/still are plenty, but hey, I'm alive and still have a roof over my head, and MUCH happier than I've been in years 

broke as sh*t tho.....   LOL

2005-07-05 8:09 PM

User image

Expert
Montreal
Hi,
Having done this quazi successfully I have some heads up for you if you are interested.

1 - Can you afford it. Not just can you afford to pay for school. Can you afford the loss of income. How will your immediate family react to the very sudden and drastic change in expendable income? A lot of things change, not just income but also your friends you work with you rapidly lose contact with. Your family will also start to react differently to you when you are back in school. There is more flak in a "gentle loving" sort of way than you might anticipate.

2 - Are you sure you want to teach? I have been in high school classrooms for three years now and you might be surprised by the stress levels. Do yourself a big favor - take a few weeks off and go to a few local high schools and see if they can use a sub. Being a sub is a lot easier than being a teacher so if you can survive that you will at least have a taste for the classroom.

3 - Have you seen a career counselor? If not find one sit down with them and go through what you want and what our strengths and weaknesses are. You are talking about making a big jump it should not be done lightly.

I hope that helps.

Denis.
2005-07-05 8:53 PM

User image

Elite
Texas

Wow lot's of good advice. I think I will go down to the school district in the fall and see if I can observe or sub. Thanks everyone.

2005-07-06 10:28 AM
in reply to: #190855

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky

As a former Army Ranger, you might just be tough enough to handle a classroom ful of grade schoolers

I wish you luck with your decision. Do you have an option of a temporary leave of absence to test the waters?

My wife subbed for a year and really enjoyed it and learned a lot. I can't speak for your school district, but here she was in very high demand and worked just about every day she wanted to.(As a bonus, she could always say "no" if she needed to stay home)

Edited by tim_edwards 2005-07-06 10:32 AM
2005-07-06 1:54 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I know I'm coming in a little late on this, however... 

I actually did this last year, I've been in school to get my teaching credential, the program just finished up in June, and last year I taught full time.  Here's what I've learned.

1 - Going to school to get the credential is not the problem.  They have a lot of programs to help out prospective teachers (financial aid, etc.)

2 - Be aware of the pay cut you'll be taking.  By the time they take out union dues, medical insurance and the state teachers retirement cut - it adds up to a lot of money, from what was not that big of a paycheck in the first place.  So, find out not only what the salary is going to be but also what the required deductions will be.  This varies from school district to school district.

3 - If you're not in a union job currently, it's really different from "professional" employment.  I'm coming from a technology background, and this "you must work for x minutes" is kinda annoying.  Also, be aware that during the school day you cannot leave.  I don't know if this is something you're used to, but I was used to going somewhere for lunch, etc. and this was/is a big adjustment.  Also, it is impossible to take off a few minutes early or come in a few minutes late to take care of personal business.  You HAVE to be there when school starts.  Every Day.

4 - Teaching right now is a high stress profession, with all of these mandates coming down from the federal government that kids must score higher on tests.  The teacher are the ones who are basically in the line of fire on this.  (Maybe not such an issue at the elementary levels, but definitely at the middle/high levels.)

5 - There is a lot of extra work involved in teaching.  You must grade homework, plan lessons, clean the room after school (never enough maintenance staff) and you will also be providing at least some of your classroom equipment - as schools are chronically underfunded.  (This last may not apply if you teach at a private school.)  Also, if you need to take a day off cause you're not feeling well, usually what happens is that you drag yourself to school, stay late so that you can prepare a lesson plan for the sub, and THEN you can be sick.  You can't leave your classroom with no direction.  There's a lot of preparation involved in the job.

6- The vacation schedule rocks!

7 - There was more classroom management required than I was prepared for.  Before you can teach, you've got to get the classroom under control.  A big issue here is that the kids are required to come, but they are not required to want to be there.  For some, it is not their choice (and their family background does not emphasize education) so they are just marking time in your classroom, until they can leave.  So, you must get all the squirrely ones under control before you can teach anyone anything.  It can also be difficult if the administration does not back up the teachers on the discipline policy.  (I teach high school, it might be different at a elementary level.)  I found this very frustrating to have disruptive influences in my classroom, nowhere to send them, so I just had to deal with them. 

8 - You end up finding out a lot about these kids and their lives.  In some sense, you become a social worker/counselor.  This is not something I was really prepared for either.  The classes you take don't really tell you what to do when a student comes to you and tells you that she's cutting herself, or that her mom and dad got in a big fight last night, and she had to protect her little brother.  (Okay, you call social services, cause that's part of your job, but how do you deal with that student, right there, right then?  They're coming to you for help, and they need it immediately.)

--------------------------------

I also think that you should try being a sub.  It's a good way to see the inside of a classroom without making a huge commitment.

I'm actually starting to look for another job for these reasons:
(1) money - I'm just not making enough for the level of work I have to do, also I'm struggling to make ends meet each month.  Edit: Okay, mostly the reason is monetary.  If I was making 20k more, I'd stay, cause there's a lot of really positive things too, mostly involving the kids who really appreciate you and enjoy being in your classroom.  It's a big payoff.

(2) I've realized that I'm not really comfortable in the sorta confessional status that I have as a teacher.  And, that I'm not really an extroverted person.  Having to deal with 100 kids every day just wears me out.  I like interaction, but the constant level with no breaks is really hard for me, and I don't really like it.

I don't want to turn you off of teaching, if that is your calling.  I know people who LOVE teaching and think it is the best thing to do ever. 

Edited by cadreamer 2005-07-06 1:56 PM
2005-07-06 2:31 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2005-07-06 3:17 PM
in reply to: #191632

Elite
Texas

Wow. Thanks again everyone. Tons of great feedback.

2005-07-06 4:43 PM

Master
I did the opposite of what many people here have. I was a teacher for three years after college, and I hated it. I went back to school and got a JD.

For what it's worth, here are the things I disliked about teaching elementary level students:

1. The pay sucks;

2. I spent way more time trying to keep the classroom under control than I did actually teaching anything. Not a very rewarding exercise;

3. The pay really sucks;

4. It was not a very intellectually challenging profession for me. I had a hard time teaching basic concepts over and over and over again. (Let me make clear that I am NOT saying teachers aren't intelligent, only that the repretitive and basic nature of of the material drove me mad);

5. Did I mention that the pay absolutely sucks;

6. I was not making the difference that I had hoped when entering the profession. My goal was to mold young minds, instead I felt like I was warehousing kids.

7. The pay........it sucks

In the end I knew I was going to work every day just to collect a paycheck, and THAT check wasn't worth it to me. I like what I do now much better.

I guess what I am saying is that while teaching is a noble profession it is not for everyone. Think very hard about whether you are really cut out for it. If you are, go for it. If not, med school can't be all bad.

Edited by MUL98 2005-07-06 4:43 PM
2005-07-06 5:10 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-07-06 5:55 PM

Veteran
Denver
I'm going to echo MUL98 a little. I got out of the teaching profession several years ago because I felt that most of my time was spent NOT teaching. Too much stress, too little pay. The 3 months off in the summer sure sounded good, but the rest of the year was very tough! I, too, was unprepared for the role of a counselor. I was also unprepared to be a cop. I was unprepared to deal with parent apathy and also unprepared to deal with the over-zealous parent. Some folks are cut out for it, and you may well be. Please sub before making a commitment. While its not exactly the same as having your own classroom, it will be enlightening!

Good luck in your decision! I know I'm looking hard at my own career path right now, its tough to figure out which way to go!

2005-07-06 6:02 PM
in reply to: #191777

Master
Central, IL
MUL98

Well said.

Edited by Writebrained 2005-07-06 6:03 PM

2005-07-06 6:39 PM

Elite
South Florida
It sounds like you would be a great teacher. I taught elementary before I had kids and really enjoyed it. The pay did suck, but since I was bringing in a secondary income it wasn't as important. I taught at both public and private and I liked private much better. The environment was so much more supportive. The school (I odn't know if it was just this school in particular) did so much for us and always made us feel appreciated. Even the teacher dinners were first class - white tableclots, candles, crabcakes, wine - unheard of in most schools! I also liked the smaller class sizes. In my 2nd grade class we had 18 kids with 2 teachers.

I don't agree with everyone who says to sub to see what teaching is like though. I subbed while in grad school and thought it was much harder than teaching. The kids didn't know me so they didn't listen to me like they would when I was the "real" teacher. I felt uncomfortable in the teacher's lounge at lunch. I just didn't like it very much. I son't think you shouldn't do it, but don't assume that it is what it will be lilke if you get your own classroom.

I would highly suggest taking a few days off if you can and tag along with a teacher at a school that interests you. I did that at the private school where I ended up teaching and it helped me realize how much I enjoyed the environment there. It will also give you a feel for what the teacher's day is like. At my school we had to eat lunch with the students, but they also had so many special classes (music, art, sports, library) compared to public school that we had plenty of other down time to make up for the lost lunch hour.

I have 3 little ones now so I am staying home for a while, but I am looking back to teaching at a private school again when my littlest is in kindergarten. I think this time I want to be a librarian though - I love the kids literature more than any other part of teaching!

Good luck - keep us updated on what you decide to do.

Amy
2005-07-07 11:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Bill
Lots of good feedback and thougts here. I have to admit - I got the itch to teach myself about 3 years ago, but instead actually became a guest lecturer for my alma-mater and love every minute of it. The beauty of this is that the pay is decent - I talk about my job and apply what they know in the classroom to real life situations - and I'm doing it with college level kids (so no problem controling the classroom).

I got my masters and down the road, wouldn't mind being an associate professor because I already have been exposed to the system. My advice is - everything in moderation - a lot of people had good feedback on doing it slowly - try subbing , etc. It worked for me and has helped clarify some of my future plans.

Of course one day the shipping markets may just drive me mad. If so - there is always the dream - Open a winery and throw caution to the wind.

2005-07-08 2:50 PM

Veteran
Eilat, Israel
One great bit of advice my grandfather gave me was- " I don't regret the things I did, I regret the things I didn't do.  Work accounts for over half of your waking life; you had better enjoy what you are doing or at least find something that is fulfilling in what you currrently do.  I say take a chance and change the scenery. I made a huge career change 8 years ago; I left a job in Commercial real estate to become a gardener; did I mention that it was in the middle of the real estate boom!!  The choice was good for me; what ever you choose all the best and only the best.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Major Career/Income Change Anyone? Rss Feed