General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mooseman 70.3 - DNF Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-08 7:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wayne, NJ
Subject: Mooseman 70.3 - DNF

This past weekend I raced in my 1st HIM - Moose Man 70.3, gratefully I got through the swim and finished the bike, and unfortunately I missed the bike cut off by 2 min. Although pretty bummed out I was very glade to get out of the horrific monsoon rain falls that plagued the race from the start of the swim and never let up to well after 2:00pm.

What affected my performance? Well I am not sure what triggered this but for the first time cycling I was dealing with severe leg cramps to my inner thighs which occurred during the 2nd repeat on the long climb. Three times I had to dismount and walk off the cramps; during the descents and flats I was ok, but every time Id start climbing I would cramp up. The walking cost me a lot of time, easily 30-45min.

Conditioning, Nutrition, De-Hydration? Just not sure what happen.

Anyway my hats off to the 850 Ironman finishers who stuck it out and dealt with all the rain and that 2nd killer hill repeat.

Seeing how I don’t do well with failure, I will be back at it again in 6 weeks, (trying to get a spot in Mussel Man 70.3 in NY July 11th) and thinking about Bass Man Fall 70.3 in NJ early in Oct.

Once again GREAT JOB MOOSEMAN FINISHERS

2010-06-08 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2909658

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: Mooseman 70.3 - DNF
Sorry about the DNF.

That said, are your logs accurate?  Your long bike according to your logs is 32 miles, and since March you had 2 weeks where you did more than 60 miles, and the next highest week was 38 miles.  And the most miles you've run in a week was 12.  With all the others below 10.  That's barely enough to adequately prepare for an Oly, let alone a half.

If that's accurate, that's not going to get it done, as you discovered... I don't know about trying again on July 11th.  Maybe hold off until you're able to properly train for a race of this distance.

Best of luck.

Edited by tealeaf 2010-06-08 8:05 PM
2010-06-08 9:39 PM
in reply to: #2909658

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Mooseman 70.3 - DNF
Sorry about the DNF.

Mooseman is a hilly course and I've done the Oly or HIM bike in a relay since '05 other than this year as I had surgery week of the race but I'm not familiar with the new course.

As someone else asked are your logs accurate?

In my last IM, I started getting cramps on the long climbs at IM Canada that got worse and worse as race progressed but only on the up hills. I started vomiting and felt awful, couldn't keep fluid or calories down for a few hours and had a pretty bad bonk...all I wanted to do was lay on the side of the road in the shade and have a cold drink of water. By about mile 80 I started walking some of the hills as it was better than keep stopping. Once I got to the top of the last long climb, I knew it was down hill from there. I sat in the shade drank cold water, got on my bike as I knew I could mostly coast back to transition.

I wish I knew what happened. The day before the race I was dizzy a lot and it continued for about month after the race which has only happened to me one other time probably 15 years before.

I wonder if it was just many bad things that happened ...very hot and sunny day 95 with zero shade or clouds on the bike and I don't do hot well, dizzy/sick issue, and who knows what else effected me.

I was able to make the bike cut off barely; on the run I worked on getting calories & fluid in, cooling myself down with ice and about 7-8 miles into the run I could think clearly again...ended up having a good run for me and almost even split the run.

Still not sure what the heck happened but sure was unpleasant and wouldn't wish my experience on anyone....and hope to avoid it in the future.

What was your nutrition/hydration? Similar to what you train with?

Sorry about your DNF. One thing that few folks shared with me after my IM Canada race, we learn more from ourselves when we have a tough race than a good one and if you allow it to you can learn and grow from it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mooseman 70.3 - DNF Rss Feed