General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting very nervous and anxious Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-12 11:02 AM

Phoenix, Az
Subject: Getting very nervous and anxious
My first triathlon is just over a month away, I am entering the Dannon Race to End Hunger out at Lake Pleasant in Az. I can't stop thinking about it. Whether I am training, at work, or doing nothing at all, it is constantly on my mind. It consumes me. Every time I think about it I get very excited/nervous/anxious, I can actually feel my HR increase and the adrenaline start to flow. I have to tell myself to relax and that I still have a month to go It isn't a bad thing necessarily, I just don't want to show up on race day and have my performance affected by the jitters. Is this normal? And if so, any suggestions on how to ease my nerves? Thanks

Edited by tony1331 2004-04-12 11:03 AM

2004-04-12 11:32 AM
in reply to: #17946

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: RE: Getting very nervous and anxious
Tony - Everyone is nervous before competition: Tiger Woods, Brett Favre, Dave Scott. What they all have in common is the ability to channel that nervous energy into performance energy. They don't let it become nervous energy that will impede performance. One of the best books I have ever read on this topic is called "Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect" by Dr. Bob Rotella. The concepts apply to all sports. Imagine Phil Mickelson yesterday - he HAD to make an 18-foot putt on the fastest green in the country to win The Masters! Nervous? Of course, but sports psychologist Dr. Bob Rotella will tell you that we all possess free will ... the ability to decide for ourselves how we will approach and handle situations. It's not outside of you. It's inside of you. You might not be able to flip a switch to call it up immeidately, but with practice you will learn to recognize it and channel it. I'm not an expert, but I did read the book and, oh yeah, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!
2004-04-12 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Hi Tony! I am also in Phoenix. My first try at a tri will be May 2 at Tempe Town Lake Multi Sport Challenge. I'm excited and nervous too! If I like it (i.e. finish!!) I also want to try the Dannon Race Tri. Maybe you could go to the May 2nd event and check it out. I wish there was one I could observe before my actual race. Time does fly when you are training!! I can't believe there is only a few weeks left before my first race ("I'm not ready, I'm sooo ready, I wish it was this weekend, I need another 3 months to train...."). We have it pretty good here in Phoenix, being able to run, bike, and swim outside already! Good luck and happy training!!
2004-04-12 1:56 PM

Phoenix, Az
Thanks for the advice guys, I think I will go check out that race on the 2nd. It will let me just kind of feel out the atmosphere and see what the race is all about. ccessex, have you looked into the Phoenix Tri CLub at all?
2004-04-12 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
It is interesting that you mention this because I too was getting anxious a few weeks prior to my first tri(last Saturday ), but the day of the event I found myself to be strangely calm. I was confident that I was fully prepared(even for the weather) and that I would finish. Keep in mind, my goal was to finish. Let me repeat that in case you missed it. My goal was to finish.

If a person is true to himself and has adequately trained/prepared, when the day arrives to compete you will be sublimely surprised at yourself.

Keep up the good work.
2004-04-12 6:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Hee, GamblerZ. What was your goal again? ;-)

Actually, I was really nervous before my one and only tri. I was jumping out of my skin waiting for the swim. I'm glad you'll get to see one before doing one. That will help calm you down a lot. Once you get started, your nerves calm down and you just go with the flow.

I also agree with trying to detach from some of the emotions. Recognize what you are experiencing, and then try to walk away from it. I am trying to practice it myself.

2004-04-12 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Hi Tony, I've read some info about the Phoenix tri club on the internet, but that's about it. I would like to learn more. The application says only $40 for an individual, but the member benefits page isn't done yet. What do you know about it? Are you involved with them at all?
2004-04-13 10:22 AM

Phoenix, Az
You know about as much as I do about them, but I am going to give them a call today to get some more info and probably start doing some workouts with them soon.
2004-04-13 10:31 AM

User image

spokane, WA
Hi,
My first race is four months away and I feel the same way. The first Tri that I am going to watch is the Ironman in Couer d' Alene. I don't know if that will make me feel better or more nervous. Best of luch to you.
Kim
2004-04-13 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Awesome, Tony! Let me know how you like the Phoenix club!
2004-04-13 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Here are two things about nerves and jitters. There is a certain amount of nerves that help with performance. I have seen a bell-curve that shows the amount of "nerves" that are required for a peak performance. Too little arousal, and you will be blah and not do very well, too much and you will go out too hard and waste whatever energy wasn't already wasted in warming up too much. Just the right amout, and you will rock. So nerves are not necessarily a bad thing.

Second, we are doing this because it's fun, right? My philosophy with golf is the same. Look, I am paying $70 for a round of golf, so I need to enjoy myself, or it's wasted time and wasted money. We are in control of that, so pay your money and your time and decide that you are going to enjoy it, whatever that means for you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting very nervous and anxious Rss Feed