General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yet more newbie bike questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-11 5:47 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Yet more newbie bike questions
I have read many of the bike discussions but I'm still a bit confused by a few things. I am currently riding a Trek 4500 mountain bike.  I live in the desert with many great desert mountain trails.  I love my mountain bike for those trails.  However, now that I'm training for a triathlon I want to start getting in longer rides that are not all climbs and descents.  Here's what I'm confused about:

1.  If I get a road bike I am extremely limited in where I can ride--I'd have to ride the same country highway every ride.  My only other option is I-80 & that's not going to happen

2.  If I get a cross bike--I could literally ride for hundreds of miles through the desert in any given direction--the roads are mostly gravel or hardpacked roads with some occasional rough spots.  Is this the type of terrain a cross bike is made for? 

3.  What is the difference between a cyclocross/cross/hybrid bike? 

4.  For now I'm training for a sprint, but would eventually want to move up to Olys--would a cross bike serve me well?

Thanks so much for input--I apologize if these questions have already been asked a hundred times!

2010-06-11 6:11 PM
in reply to: #2916717

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Subject: RE: Yet more newbie bike questions
ingleshteechur - 2010-06-11 6:47 PM
2.  If I get a cross bike--I could literally ride for hundreds of miles through the desert in any given direction--the roads are mostly gravel or hardpacked roads with some occasional rough spots.  Is this the type of terrain a cross bike is made for? 
3.  What is the difference between a cyclocross/cross/hybrid bike? 

Go Cyclocross.... A cyclocross bike (CX) is very similar to a roadbike in geometry (frame may be a little shorter to make it more manuverable and stronger and thicker, bottombracket may a little higher, top tube a little bigger and flatter on bottom... but really nothing you'll really notice)

The big difference are the wheels and brakes. The wheels are typically strong rims with lots of spokes - the types that road cyclists call 'Bomb proof training wheels'. the rubber on them is typically 35mm wide, somewhat studded CX tires. You can go pretty damn fast on a CX bike and do it on most surfaces except for technical MTB courses (i.e. mountain trails with heavy rocks, logs, tight turns...)

I have a Tri bike (Cervelo P2) and a CX bike (Scott Team CX). I race my P2 but ride the CX for fun. I can go off-roading with my 7 year old one day and then I put on my P2 stock wheels on it and can go for Cycling club rides and hang with the road cyclists.

Get a CX bike and a set of slick racing tires (700c x 23 size - about $40 at your LBS). Train in the desert on your CX 35mm tires and then pop on your 23mm slick tires for the race. You can also get cheap clip on aerobars ($30) and your bike will never be the reason you did not win the race.

3. A Hybrid bike is a flat handlebar road bike with VERY relaxed geometry and roadbike wheels. They are perfect for cycling accorss the central park with you briefcase strapped to the back rack and a warm Starbucks latte in one hand. Not so good for racing, and sucky for training in your part of the world.

2010-06-11 6:15 PM
in reply to: #2916717

User image

^^^Agree
2010-06-11 6:33 PM
in reply to: #2916755

User image

Elite
mgalanter - 2010-06-11 6:11 PM
Go Cyclocross.... A cyclocross bike (CX) is very similar to a roadbike in geometry (frame may be a little shorter to make it more manuverable and stronger and thicker, bottombracket may a little higher, top tube a little bigger and flatter on bottom... but really nothing you'll really notice)

The big difference are the wheels and brakes. The wheels are typically strong rims with lots of spokes - the types that road cyclists call 'Bomb proof training wheels'. the rubber on them is typically 35mm wide, somewhat studded CX tires. You can go pretty damn fast on a CX bike and do it on most surfaces except for technical MTB courses (i.e. mountain trails with heavy rocks, logs, tight turns...)

Get a CX bike and a set of slick racing tires (700c x 23 size - about $40 at your LBS). Train in the desert on your CX 35mm tires and then pop on your 23mm slick tires for the race. You can also get cheap clip on aerobars ($30) and your bike will never be the reason you did not win the race.

Thank you!  That is the type of info I was looking for!  It sounds like a CX would definitely be the way to go.  Bike shopping on Monday!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yet more newbie bike questions Rss Feed