Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Do training plans include warm-up/cool-down? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-12 10:13 AM

User image

Regular
Boston area
Subject: Do training plans include warm-up/cool-down?
I think this was answered before (a few years ago), but I want to be sure.

I've imported the 16-week 2x balanced sprint training plan.  Since I only have 12 weeks until my triathlon, I've imported Weeks 4 through 16.  Even starting in the second month, the times seem short to me.  Like, swim for 16 minutes (Week 5)?  That seems like a very short swim.  I was swimming tough 90 minute workouts with my Master's Club a few weeks ago.

For a bit of context, I tend to jump into training over-enthusiastically. The reason I say that I swam 90 min previously is that I'm out of the pool for a while with bicep tendonitis. And I took up swimming because my Dr treating me for my hamstring injury said that might be less impact than running.   Do we see a pattern here? Wink

But I find it hard to imagine swimming for only 16 min and running for only 24 min.  That's even harder when I imagine those short times including warm-up and cool-down. But I will try following the plan.  I'd just like to get this clarified before I begin.

Thanks!

2010-06-12 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2917335

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Do training plans include warm-up/cool-down?
Note, you did import a 'free-minutes only' bronze plan.  If you want a plan with details, make sure it says 'Available for:Silver Members'

The type of plan you imported are for the people that have never ran, biked or swam before therefore they are very conservative in ramping up the volume.  Though in your case of jumping in with over enthusiasm (not that that's a bad thing!), maybe it WOULD be a good plan to act as a throttle and to keep you in check if in fact that is where your injuries stem from.  Over the next few months just know that you WILL get to your target volumes where you would consider it a 'good workout'...and you can continue on from there.  Conservative adaptation is how these plans are.  It's tough to restrain yourself at the beginning, but you will be a lot more injury free by the time you get to the end.

As far as including WU and CD...the plan descriptions mentions that all workouts are to be done 'easy' - HR zone 1-2...which is part of your warmup/cooldown zone anyway. 
2010-06-12 11:06 AM

User image

Regular
Boston area
Yeah, I know I have imported a bronze plan.  I wanted to do a "balanced lifestyle" 2x type plan. The only detailed plan like this, the 8-week Balanced Lifestyle one says:

*This is NOT a 'build' plan in that we are not significantly building volume.  You do not want to train for your first triathlon on this plan.  This plan assumes you have been training at a higher level and you want to cut back.

So I won't do that one.  But I really can't do 3 workouts per sport per week for family/career/sanity reasons. Is there a way I could customize one of the detailed 3x a week plans for 2x a week?  And if so, which workouts should I cut from the plan?

Right now I'm planning to do the minutes-only plan and focus on volume, while getting training ideas from the detailed plans. I guess if I'm using the site at this level I don't need the Silver membership?    
2010-06-12 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2917377

User image

Champion
Gold member
What workouts can you do per week?  Only two per sport?  Are there any days that you can do 2 back to back workouts (swim/run) or (swim/bike)...even bike/run?  Lay out your ideal schedule.

2010-06-12 11:45 AM

User image

Regular
Boston area
I meant that I could do two workouts in each sport per week.  Along with weight training (which I was going to add manually to the minutes-only plan)

I'd like to do 4-5 hours of training per week, including strength.  I could do a couple two-a-days per week, provided I don't kill myself on each workout.  I had problems with it before because I tried to do 2 hard, intense workouts in one day.  As a matter of fact, hard and intense was the only way I knew how to exercise until a few weeks ago.  It was intervals or nothing.  Long and slow seemed like a waste of time.  I know better now, or at least I'm open to persuasion. Smile

I picked the 16-week 2x balanced also because the volume graphs looked good to me.  Incremental increases and a light week once per month.  Some of the other plans had a heavy week right after a light week (such as the 12-week beginner sprint HR), which seems risky to me given my injury history.
2010-06-12 11:52 AM

User image

Regular
Boston area
To be more specific, here's a schedule I could swing:

Monday:  Short run (20-40 min), weight train (30 min)
Tuesday: Short bike
Wednesday: swim
Thursday: long bike, weight train (30 min)
Friday: off
Saturday: long run, long swim
Sunday: off, or other light fun sport (kayaking, tennis, hiking, whatever my husband wants to do)

I know the times on the swim/bike/run will be variable, but I really can't tolerate weight training for any more than 30 min at a time. And I feel that 30 min, twice per week, should really be enough if I'm efficient and using compound moves that strengthen various muscle groups.  That's another reason I didn't like the 12-week detailed beginner HR plan.  75 min weight training?!  I don't see myself sticking to that.

This is just an example schedule.  The only thing I like to stick to is Friday as an off day and one weekend day (will vary with the weather) as a fun recreational day.  I hope this is detailed enough! Smile

2010-06-12 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2917421

User image

Champion
Gold member
Cool.  Let me think about it and will see if a Silver plan can do this with minor mods.
2010-06-14 12:50 PM

User image

Regular
Boston area
Thanks so much for your help!  Smile  Until I hear back from you, I'll just continue on the minutes-only plan. It may be a bit boring, but that's better than getting injured.
2010-06-14 2:49 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I saw this thread and wanted to throw my experience in.  I am using the 16wk 3x balanced sprint program and I too was used to doing much longer workouts.  In the beginning it was tough to limit myself to these short workouts (just ask the people in my mentor group!), but I used the time to work on speed.  Instead of just doing a 16min casual run, I would really push it, or do hills, intervals, etc.  Not sure if that is what the plan meant, but I adapted it that way for my needs and my schedule.  Now that I am near the end of my training (last week before my race on Sun) it had me doing much longer sessions.  Doing those shorter runs/swims, I saw dramatic improvements in my speed/times. 

Good luck with your training!
2010-06-15 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2920565

User image

Champion
Gold member
Keep with the minutes plan for now.  I looked at a few of the plans and can't really easily modify down to 2x per sport per week.  If you can hold on for a couple of weeks, I may want to use you as a test case for the custom training plan creator that I hope to finish testing...if you don't hear from me in two weeks, repost on this thread.

rljohnsufl - 2010-06-14 1:50 PM Thanks so much for your help!  Smile  Until I hear back from you, I'll just continue on the minutes-only plan. It may be a bit boring, but that's better than getting injured.
New Thread
Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Do training plans include warm-up/cool-down? Rss Feed