General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ITU World Chamionship Series--spoilers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-14 1:21 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
Subject: ITU World Chamionship Series--spoilers

I hate to put the spoilers disclaimer because Madrid was over a week ago, but I know how passionate some BT'ers are about their recorded/tape delayed viewing

I haven't seen much ITU racing in the past, but it appears from the website that the WCS is new this year and maybe ITU is getting some more play than in past, or I've just missed it in previous years. Universal Sports is showing taped races in their entirety, and wow these are some awesome athletes and the races can be super exciting. I really like the draft-legal aspect of the racing.

I've seen some of each of the first three events, and Madrid was by far my favorite course. Didn't really care as much for the city racing in Sydney and Seoul. Madrid was a more natural setting with a nice climb to start each lap on the bike.

It's kind of nice to see some of the athlete interviews, because I've never got to see that like the IM athletes. Cool interview during the  Madrid coverage with last year's men's world champion Alistair Brownlee and his discussion on his injury recovery this spring. Discussed how hard it was to go from working out 6 hours a day to almost none and how that affected his sleep and diet. Madrid was his first race this year and he won it with an awesome kick at the end. Love me some Emma Moffat, too.

Anyway sorry for the long post, but the IM pros get a lot of love here on BT, not as much for the ITU guys/gals. Different for sure, but I think the ITU racers are equally impressive.

2010-06-14 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2920663

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Subject: RE: ITU World Chamionship Series--spoilers
HyVee last year was an awesome men's race with less than a second seperating $200,000 from $25,000.  In ITU racing, the key is hanging in on the bike and winning on the run. 
HyVee (yesterday) had a good race on the` women's side and a good rac`e until lap 2 of the men's run, where Tim Don took over and won easily (meaning by distance, not effort level).  Second and third was exciting, though. 
2010-06-14 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2920911

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

jdwright56 - 2010-06-14 2:43 PM HyVee last year was an awesome men's race with less than a second seperating $200,000 from $25,000.  In ITU racing, the key is hanging in on the bike and winning on the run. 
HyVee (yesterday) had a good race on the` women's side and a good rac`e until lap 2 of the men's run, where Tim Don took over and won easily (meaning by distance, not effort level).  Second and third was exciting, though. 

Where did you see the Hyvee race, and was it live?

2010-06-14 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2920925

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
zed707 - 2010-06-14 2:49 PM

jdwright56 - 2010-06-14 2:43 PM HyVee last year was an awesome men's race with less than a second seperating $200,000 from $25,000.  In ITU racing, the key is hanging in on the bike and winning on the run. 

Where did you see the Hyvee race, and was it live?

HyVee holds the biggest purse ITU race of the year every June in Des Moines.  Generally, the morning is the AG race (which I ran) and the afternoon is the ITU race  - women first and then men.  This year I watched from the Beer Garden, which is a new incarnation at HyVee and was just awesome.  As the athletes turned to come through the stadium (8 loops on the bike and 4 on the run) they biked and ran right by us as we shouted encouragement.  Twas a blast. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ITU World Chamionship Series--spoilers Rss Feed