General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition Tips for race day? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-14 8:17 PM

User image

Regular
Carmichael
Subject: Nutrition Tips for race day?
I raced my first half ironman this last weekend in Boise. It was a pretty difficult race for me 1) because of the wind on the bike, 2) because I felt sick to my stomach since I got out of the water and onto my bike. I ended up finally barfing around mile 7 of the run and that didn't even make me feel better. Nothing tasted good, nothing really helped me feel any better, and it was just in general a pretty rough race! I felt great before the race started and had no flu like symptoms that would lead me to conclude that my difficult day was due to the flu and rather I conclude that it had to do with what I ate before and during the race.

Since this was my first half ironman race I was super worried that I wouldn't get enough calories in my body and I would start struggling. In training I have never really had any problem with nutrition and my stomach usually feels really good. I have done centuries and plenty of long rides, as well as some long swims and somewhat long runs and had no trouble really at all. I am not sure if I took in to much and made myself sick or to little? But whatever I did it wasn't good!

Has anyone else had some similarly miserable experiences? What have you learned from them?

Any particular nutrition plan that you try to stick to or any wise words of advice that you could give me would be very much appreciated!

Edited by MattCan 2010-06-14 8:18 PM

2010-06-14 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2921627

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Nutrition Tips for race day?
I had GI problems in a marathon. Traced it back to taking in too many carbs before the race. I now eat exactly the same before a race as I do every other day.
2010-06-14 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Sometimes nerves or pre-race stress can wreak havoc on your stomach and you don't realize it until it's too late. Just because something sits right with during training doesn't mean it will sit well in a race when your nerves are up. Perhaps keeping some Tums or Pepto with you might help settle you stomach on a race. Other than that your best bet is to keep things as clean and simple as possible with your eating...no fiber, nothing acidic. For me, I avoid anything with HFCS like gatoraid products, they kill me. I opt for pure coconut water instead. But that's just my system...
2010-06-14 8:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Husk, NC

I have the same probelm.  After a pool workout I could eat a horse but after a OW swim during a tri, I feel sick/nauseated and have trouble taking on nutrition.  IMO it has nothing to do with what I have eaten.  It is because we push hard till the end of the swim then sprint to T1, but after a pool workout, we do cool downs and take our time exiting the pool. 

Edited by bighorsecreek 2010-06-14 8:52 PM
2010-06-14 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2921693

User image

Regular
Carmichael
At what schedule do any of you like to take in your nutrition? I took in about half a powerbar and about half a cup of insure within the first 5 miles of the bike thinking that I would need those calories badly later in the race. 

Also what do you do to calm your nerves and stomach before a race of that size, I agree that I was pretty nervous and worried about it. Hopefully some of that will go away with my next race but any tips would be helpful.

"bighorsecreek" have you found anything that works for you to fix the problem of nausea after an OWS  in the 1/2 or full IM distance? 
2010-06-14 9:20 PM
in reply to: #2921718

User image

Veteran
Husk, NC
MattCan - 2010-06-14 10:05 PM
"bighorsecreek" have you found anything that works for you to fix the problem of nausea after an OWS  in the 1/2 or full IM distance? 

No!  I think it has something to do with blood flow.  Nothing left for the gut after a hard swim with no cool-down and sprinting to get on a bike and start pushing hard.   I guess taking an extra minute in T1 may actually payoff in the long run by allowing for better nutrition intake, but that is just a guess.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition Tips for race day? Rss Feed