General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running technique Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-07 11:33 AM

Pro
Subject: Running technique
After reading some of the posts around here, I notice many people talking about running injuries. I was wondering if any of you have heard of Pose Technique. There's a book about it and I have incorporated some of the techniques, and I can say that I would not be training for a triathlon if it weren't for my changed style.

Basically the technique is about leaning slightly forward at the ankles, landing on the balls of your feet, running with a cadence of about 180 steps per minute, while making sure that your feet remain more or less under your body. What this means is that your feet are not landing in front of your body, and they are not pushing off behind it. Instead of pushing off or pulling your feet back under you, you use your weight (gravity), which as I said is slightly forward at the ankles to pull you forward. You kind of just end up doing what you would do if you were running in place, but leaning forward.

In any case, here is a link to the pose website:

http://www.posetech.com/

I am in no way associated with selling this technique, it's just that prior to adopting it (more or less) I had terrible shinsplints and could hardly run. Now I am pain free and actually enjoy running. I thought it might help some of you.

2005-07-07 12:15 PM
in reply to: #192331

User image

Veteran
Jackson, TN
Subject: RE: Running technique
A lot of people on here use Chi Running technique. THe book is cheap and is a quick read. Sounds pretty similar actually.

2005-07-07 12:17 PM

User image

Master
South of SLC
I take any technique and learn as much as I can about it -- Total Imemrsion Swimming, Pose Technique, various pedal stroke techniques, hair combing techniques, etc. I then incorporate what works for me into my technique and go from there.

I used the Pose technique to improve my run economy. I did find it helped me drop my heart rate when used correctly. But, landing always with a toe strike created its own problems as it was hard on my achilles tendon, so I compromised with a mid foot strike and have felt great ever since. I don't have shim splints early in the season like I used to and I haven't had problems with achilles tendonitis since I started striking mid foot.

Any technique is good if you feel like it makes you improve. I would suggest people look through the Pose website and read some of the basic articles to see if they feel it would work for them, try some of the suggestions and then buy the book.

Mike

Edited by Rollin' Thunder 2005-07-07 12:17 PM
2005-07-07 12:27 PM

Expert
I agree a lot with what Rolling Thunder said. So much of it is what feels right (unlike with swimming). I am a heal/toe runner and have been for 20+ years so I am a bit biased. The biggest problem with heal/toe running is not the heal/toe part of it but rather over-stridding. Getting that foot too far in front of you or too far behind you and lose speed and increase your risk in injury. Its important to incorporate high turn-over into your running to reduce a lot of the stress.

Running on the balls of your feet is probably good in theory and if done correctly, I assume would work as claimed. However, you are putting a tremendous amount of stress on your calves and achilles so your build up needs to be slow. Personally, I would rather keep the stress of running in the large hip, thigh and hamstrong muscles than shifting it down to my calves.

As with anything, it is all individual. I like to read everything about everything and pull what I feel will work for me.

Mark
2005-07-07 4:04 PM
in reply to: #192381

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
brain_bliss - 2005-07-07 1:15 PM

A lot of people on here use Chi Running technique. THe book is cheap and is a quick read. Sounds pretty similar actually.

Except in Chi running you land with the foot under you and not on your toes. Also Chi Running does not involve the calves except as baggage for the leg to cart about. Not exactly as he put it but I am too lazy to get the book out, thumb through and quote it. I try to do chi running but I cannot seem to get the (*&# lean in. I do push my arms behind me and never cross the midline.

Edited by nliedel 2005-07-07 4:06 PM
2005-07-07 4:13 PM

User image

Regular
Woodbine, MD
I'm a heel-toe runner and happy with it. I actually really love the fact that running doesn't require (unlike swimming) lots of work learning technique. I love that running doesn't require lots of equipment (unlike cycling). I just put on my shoes and go out the door and run as fast and as long as I feel like running that day. (Of course, I get dressed first.) LOL.

That said, I have recently been studying articles on how to run hills better and found that some minor adjustments in stride length made a huge difference in my heart rate and breathing.

But with running, I just don't mess with what's already working for me. I have decent speed and endurance. I save the technique training for the pool.

2005-07-07 4:17 PM
in reply to: #192586

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
ginagmiller - 2005-07-07 5:13 PM

(Of course, I get dressed first.) LOL.

QUOTE]

You can always do the Bare Buns Run. No clothing required.
2005-07-07 6:07 PM

User image

Expert
Livermore, Ca
The simple technique that is in "The Triathlete's training bible" has improved my running by atleast a few minutes in the 5K. I'm a heel-toe runner but if I try toes, I can tell a big difference but I have to concentrate way too hard.

JMD
2005-07-07 6:08 PM
in reply to: #192589

User image

Regular
Woodbine, MD

You can always do the Bare Buns Run. No clothing required.

Now, THAT would make me run REALLY fast, out of sheer embarrassment!
2005-07-07 8:14 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I like to use the Chi Technique but I also incorporate Barefoot Running into my routine. I do sprints up a hill at a park nearby barefoot. When the grass is nice and green at the park I will actually do my long runs barefoot. Last year I had injuries, this year none since I incorporated barefoot running. The first time I ran barefoot my Achilles and calf muscles felt so stretched it was unbelievable. I don't run barefoot on any hard surface only grass. Many people poo poo the idea of running barefoot but you would be surprised at how strong your legs and feet get. I'm flat footed and I require orthotics in my shoes to run. But since I have started to incorporate the barefoot running the orthotics are gone. Check out www.barefootrunning.org

Mike
2005-07-07 8:55 PM
in reply to: #192738

User image

Regular
Woodbine, MD
I would love to run barefoot but I live on a main road next to a state park. My options are running on asphalt, or running on trails (rough trails!). I don't think I would brave either in bare feet! Sounds fun though.

Now what about those new (exorbitantly expensive) Nikes that are supposed to simulate running in bare feet - anyone tried those?

2005-07-07 10:07 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago

I'm an advocate of Pose.  I took a Pose 1on1 class and have my ITBS has never returned!

Like rolling thunder, i definately am running faster with a lower heart rate and my efficiency has really increased, which will pay dividends in the longer races.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running technique Rss Feed