General Discussion Race Reports! » Pat Griskus Memorial Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pat Griskus Memorial Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Middlebury, CT
United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 39s
Overall Rank = 177/341
Age Group = M4044
Age Group Rank = 23/34
Pre-race routine:

Left work early to change and head to the race. Had a PB&J and water on way to race
Got to race early and registered, set up transistion and then scoped out the transistion entrance and exits to make sure I knew where I woudl be going.
Had half a cliff bar and some Gatorade.
Event warmup:

Quick jog to loosen up the legs. Then before the race put on the wetsuit and went for a 100 yd swim.
Swim
  • 18m 59s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Man if I could site and navigate while I swim I could take over a minute off my time!!!! Going out I hit my rhythm quickly and was able to stay in the middle of the pack and actually catch people from the previous wave.
A little trouble getting around the bouy due to the crowd which is something I am not used to being in!
On the way back in, instead of following someone in I ended up swimming all the way across the rectangle, past the other bouys and then had to make a left turn and swim back in. Really ticked me off when I realized what I had done.
Actually got out of the water in 0:17:5x and then had a run up to transition where the timing mat was.
Still it was the best swim I've had and I'll put the additional yardage down as extra training!
What would you do differently?:

Swim in a straight line!!!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

No problems here. Probably could have gone faster if I wasn't cursing myself out for swimming all over the lake!

Nothing.
Bike
  • 35m 2s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 17.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt great at the start and the downhills. Had some problems keeping my speed on the 3 miles of climbs and rollers but once through that I caught my second wind and was able to bring it in in good shape.
My speed is getting better but still need to work on the hills!

Probably choose some better gearing for the iniial climbs.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

No problems here. Racked bike, took of helmet, put on shoes and got on the road!

Nothing
Run
  • 24m 3s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out slow but got comfortable. The downhill made it a little harder to rreally get in stride but once I made the turn and strated going up hill I actually felt like I was accelrating and passed a lot of people. Felt great in the last mile with plenty (maybe too much?) left in the tank!

Not much, felt very good on the run!
Post race
Warm down:

Got some food at the post-race picnic and then headed home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Can't swim straight!
Can't ride uphill!
Can't run downhill!

Event comments:

Greatrace, well run. Lots of first timers so anyone looking for a race for next year in CT this is a good one if you can skip out of work!

Last updated: 2005-07-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:59 | 880 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/341
Performance: Good
Suit: Promotion
Course: Straight out past three bouys, turn around and come back in. There were two lines of bouys creating a rectangle so two groups started at the same time, one going up bouys on leftside of the rectangle, the other going up the right side. When they turned to come in both groups came up the center of the rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:02 | 10.5 miles | 17.98 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: 10.5 Miles. The first 4.5 are downhill, flat, then serious downhill. Next comes three miles of climbing and rollers. Then finish with flat and small hills and one final hill that had "The Last Hill!!" painted on it! There was a severe downpour in the afternoon before the race so there was some gravel adn sand washed into the road in some areas as well as some puddles and wet sections.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:03 | 03.1 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Course: 1 loop downhill heading out and up hill heading back!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-07 3:33 PM

New user
Subject: Pat Griskus Memorial Sprint Triathlon

2005-07-08 12:42 PM
in reply to: #192549

Expert
Subject: RE: Pat Griskus Memorial Sprint Triathlon
Nice work...I was thinking about doing the race but I couldn't get out of work in time...maybe next year
2005-07-11 7:57 AM
in reply to: #192549

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Subject: RE: Pat Griskus Memorial Sprint Triathlon
Glad you did so well! I really enjoyed this race, even though I was a bit of a disaster. Something about the swim course made it really hard to navigate - everyone on the women's side swum back on the outside of the buoys, crashing into the laggers - I was annoyed, but then I did it too. This race is highly recommended - very friendly and well organized - I finished almost last, made a phone call, cleared out my area, and they still had plenty of food left. My only recommendation - please, please, please buy women's cut T-shirts - "unisex" means the shoulders are halfway down my arms, and I am not a small girl.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pat Griskus Memorial Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed