General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Side stich (cramp) won't go away!!! Help!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-07 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Ventura, California
Subject: Side stich (cramp) won't go away!!! Help!!!
Hey all,

During my first TRI on June 26th I got a really gnarly side cramp with about 150m to go in the swim. I was able to finish with no problems (NOTHING was going to stop me that day). It really started hurting going into T1 but went away during the bike and only came back mildly at the end of the run. I was also feeling it for about 30min after I finished but then it was all better.

In the 1+ weeks since I have been severely cramping during my training runs in the exact same spot as I did at the TRI. It really hampered my performance in a 5k I did on the 4th of July (I HAD TO WALK...GRRRRRRRRR) and has really slowed me about 35-45s per mile when I run 3x per week.

Has anyone else experienced this and how can I get rid of it?!?!?!?!?! When I flex my abs or do crunches I can really feel it, even though I am not working too hard. I drink plenty of H20 every day (about 5L) and eat a balanced diet with lots of fruits (apples, oranges, bananas). I also have a pretty steady breathing regemin while working out but it does not seem to help!

Any feedback is appreciated!!!

2005-07-07 10:41 PM
in reply to: #192623

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
Subject: RE: Side stich (cramp) won't go away!!! Help!!!
I had a really bad case of side stiches (both sides at once) on my last 1/2 ironman. It started on the bike and then went away. It showed back up during the run. I was expecting to run about 15 min. faster on the run portion. Talk about really sucking. My muscles were sore for days afterwards.

Before my tri days, during road races (running) I would get bad side stiches which would return the day after while walking. THe muscles must get damaged. I believe my brother had them so bad that he went to the doctor and he said he had a slight tear in the muscle.

I would say do what you can and if it starts hurting it would be better to stop before it gets injured more.

Just my opinion,
Randy
2005-07-08 12:06 AM

User image

Expert
Alabama
I get bad cramps/stiches in my sides and just below my rib cage if I have eaten anywhere within a 4-5 hour period before a run. Thats why I do as much exercise as I can in the mornings, I eat the bare minimims, usually just a power bar or a piece of fruit and if I am doing a LSD then I take a gel. Also becareful you are not over hydrating also, that can cause cramps with me. You could have a pulled muscle so just take it easy, but if you are only feeling it once you are into a run then it could be from eating? Thats just my experience and I~m sure others will have solutions as well. I have also heard that low levels of potassium and salt can cause those types of cramps as well. If you can feel it when you flex then it is probably an injured muscle and will get better with time.
2005-07-08 4:57 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
This is still going on? Hmmm not good. Well aside from having a chat with your doc could you have pulled something during the swim? If you are still having issues then this is not a "normal" side stitch.
2005-07-08 11:04 AM
in reply to: #192796

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Blacktoe - 2005-07-07 10:41 PM I had a really bad case of side stiches (both sides at once) on my last 1/2 ironman. It started on the bike and then went away. It showed back up during the run. I was expecting to run about 15 min. faster on the run portion. Talk about really sucking. My muscles were sore for days afterwards. Before my tri days, during road races (running) I would get bad side stiches which would return the day after while walking. THe muscles must get damaged. I believe my brother had them so bad that he went to the doctor and he said he had a slight tear in the muscle. I would say do what you can and if it starts hurting it would be better to stop before it gets injured more. Just my opinion, Randy

Ok- it doens't happen often, but every now and then I get a terrible side stitch on the bike.  On my past two rides I've gotten them.  No rhyme or reason- I just got them and couldn't figure out why.  They hurt WAY more than side stiches when running.  I can't get rid of them while I'm on the bike unless I stop biking.  I don't know what causes them, but they are painful and it's hard to take slow deep breaths.  Usually if I get one while running I can run it off.  That's not the case on the bike.  Do any of you have suggestions as far as how to allevaite the pain from them on the bike? 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Side stich (cramp) won't go away!!! Help!!! Rss Feed