General Discussion Triathlon Talk » midwest meltdown hotter than heck half IM - Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-08 10:08 PM

Subject: midwest meltdown hotter than heck half IM -
I’m planning on competing in the Midwest Meltdown Hotter Than Heck Half IM on Aug 7. I’ve missed the two sprints I was planning on doing earlier year so I’m going into this completely blind. I can do each distance of each discipline with little fatigue individually but I’m concerned if it’s too hilly I may have problems. I think I log a lot of hills in my training but a hilly bike and run back to back concerns me. I’m trying to be 101% prepared and would appreciate any insight on this event. I’m from central Missouri and swim in a dirty wavy lake so I’m guessing the temp will be similar. Is a swim cap mandatory? Are the bike and run routes hilly or flat? Is there any shade on them or is it really ‘hotter than hell’? Anything I’m missing.

http://www.midwestmultisportraces.com/multiSport/index.php

Edited by loto 2005-07-08 10:08 PM

2005-07-09 9:18 PM
in reply to: #193585

User image

Regular
Kansas (Kansas City area)
Subject: RE: midwest meltdown hotter than heck half IM -
Hey Dave -
I live in KC and volunteered for the event last year. I didn't see the lake, but can give you some info about the bike and run course. There are two transition areas (one for swim/bike by the lake and another by the bike/run in the speedway. The bike is mostly flat and so is the run. (A hill here and there, but nothing major) There is practically no shade on the run - so, yes it will be hot. There were also stories of a few people taking wrong turns on the bike, though other people I know have said the course was well marked. The swim caps are mandatory, just about most events require them. Let me know if there's anything else you need to know. Good luck.
2005-07-12 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Loto,

I didn't do the half last year, but I did the sprint, so I can answer most of your questions. The course is not that hilly, there are some hills in it, but overall it is not hilly (this goes for the 1/2 too). The lake temp will probably be around 82F, it is a dirty lake, but didn't seem that wavy to me. . . they are improving the entrance and exit to the swim this year. The bike and run are mostly flat. . . there are a few inclines to them. There is not much shade when you are around the speedway. . . the run around that can get really hot, especially for the half Ironman.

It was a well run race last year, especially for the 1st one, this year should be better, since they can learn from their mistakes. It is a fun event and I am looking forward to doing it.

Oh by the way, I am only doing the sprint next year. . . training for my first 1/2 in September in Smithville, MO at the US Half Championships.
2005-07-13 7:39 AM
in reply to: #195691

Tell - I think I've changed my mind from the Midwest Meltdown to the Half Championship in Smithville. I had seen info about this race before but I didn't see anything about the general entery slots until just this week. The US half sounds like it is a great race so I'm going to sign up for it. And nowhere in the name are the words "hotter than hell". This is a plus too.
2005-07-13 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Cool! I'm a general entry too, I am looking forward to it. . .well, looking forward to just doing it.

Yeah. . .it has been hot here and they are forecasting 100s in August. Hopefully Sept will not be so bad. . .

Have fun training and see you in Sept!

Edited by Tell3131 2005-07-13 5:05 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » midwest meltdown hotter than heck half IM - Rss Feed