General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Passing through O'ahu, looking for a good ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-22 12:56 PM

User image

APO, Marshall Islands
Subject: Passing through O'ahu, looking for a good ride

I'll be passing through Honolulu on my way to the states in a few weeks.  I have a long layover and will have my road bike.  That's a nice recipe for a day of riding on O'ahu (or elsewhere?).

I have passed through many times, but never had the chance to ride in your great state.  I'm looking for recommendations.

Here are my details:  I arrive in Hono around 3:00 a.m. on a Wednesday in August.   Hopefully catch a few hours of sleep at the airport hotel.  Where should I ride?  I am leaning towards grabbing a rental car and driving to the best possible launch spot, avoiding high traffic areas if possible.  Would be nice to ride some nice climbs as I live on a completely flat island and really miss the hills. 

I have also considered trying to grab a flight to another island (maybe Maui?) for a ride.  My flight out doesn't leave until 8:45 p.m., so I have a decent amount of time. 

If I stay on O'ahu, I can pay a little extra and keep my hotel room into the afternoon.  That way I can keep my luggage there and have a post-ride shower.  Hopping over to Maui might make the logistics of those items a little harder. 

Any advice you kind folk could give would be greatly appreciated. 

2010-06-22 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2936809

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Passing through O'ahu, looking for a good ride
Can't speak for Oahu, but if you come over to Maui you can ride right from the airport!  If you are looking for "some nice climbs" I'd recommend riding out of the airport (on the back side) and right up Haleakala Highway and out to Keokea or Ulupalakua.  You can stop for a bite to eat at Grandma's Coffee in Keokea, or keep going out to Ulupalakua and have lunch at Ulupalakua Ranch Store. Shoulders are wide the first part of Haleakala Highway, then slim down a bit til you get out past Rice Park, then they pretty much disappear, but traffic is lighter out there.

Gorgeous scenery, and if the trades are blowing you will have wind at your back from about Pukalani all the way out.  Keep in mind that it's pretty much steady climbing until you get to Keokea, then it drops down winding roads to Ulupalakua and Tedeschi Winery.

Hope you have a great visit no matter where you decide to ride!
2010-06-23 4:54 PM

User image

How far do you want to ride and what day of the week will you be here?  That will play a major factor if you want to avoid traffic.

If you'll be here on a Saturday or Sunday, I know a couple of morning group rides that I have done.  Both rides start near diamond head (about 15 minutes driving from the airport).

2010-06-23 5:03 PM

User image

APO, Marshall Islands

Hey you two, thanks for the replies.

Maui is so tempting... I may just have to hop a plane.

I'll be there on a Wednesday, so I assume traffic is going to be an issue if i stick to O'ahu.  I'd really like to do a longish ride... maybe 60-80 miles out-and-back. 

2010-06-23 6:39 PM

User image

If you want the simplest ride where you can't get lost, I would say the north shore is your best bet (It will take about 45 minutes to drive there from the airport).  You can start from Haleiwa town and ride out towards Kaneohe and back and get in about 50-100 miles depending how far you want to go.  You stay on the same road the whole time, so it's impossible to get lost.  The shoulders are minimal at best, and it is two lane traffic, so it does get a little tight...but this is the country side of the island, so car traffic is minimal.  The one thing though is that it's mostly flat, but is a very beautiful ride. 

I do another ride that wraps around the other side of the island, going from Diamond head, around Hawaii Kai, then to Kailua.  This route is also very scenic, but is a bit more complicated as it doesn't stay on the same road the whole time.  This route also has some pretty good hills thrown in there. 

To be safe, you don't want to be on the road between 6am and 8am and 4pm and 6pm on weekdays.

When I have time, I'll see if I can link some of the routes from my garmin.

Bring your camera too.  Some of the views are absolutely amazing.  I have lived here all my life...and I haven't noticed how beautiful this island is until riding my bike around some of these areas.  It's not the same when driving by in a car.

2010-06-23 8:04 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

are you looking for training rides ? or just pleasure ?

riding is passable on Oahu, but cars are crazy, roads bike unfriendly.

Big Island has got the roads for biking IMHO. if you've got the time, why not head over there ?

2010-06-23 8:52 PM
in reply to: #2940191

User image

APO, Marshall Islands

Metafizx,

Just a single ride... mostly pleasure I suppose.  I have a long layover (~12 hours) and will have my bike, so I figured I should ride instead of sitting in the President's Club at the airport sipping a beer.   

2010-06-23 8:55 PM

User image

Noel,

Are you talking about the Hilo side of the Big Island?  I have only been to Hilo a few times, but can't remember the road conditions.

As far as Kona...Queen K hwy is extremely bike friendly...and we all know how much history is there as far as triathlons are concerned.  But seriously...it's riding in an oven in the middle of an endless lava field.  It loses it's aura pretty quick if you ask me...

2010-06-23 9:07 PM

User image

Is cost an issue?

Interisland round trip flights on a Wed will likely run you about $100 or so.  To check in  your bike as luggage...likely $30-$50 each way, but Metafizx can clarify as he recently shipped his bike.  You'll likely need to rent a car...for no other purpose than you need to put your bike shipping box somewhere while you ride.  Seems like a lot of hassel to me just to ride...but it should kill your 12 hours pretty quickly.

If you were here on a Saturday or Sunday, we could hook up with a group ride I do, but I don't know any group rides on Wednesdays.

2010-06-23 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2940329

User image

APO, Marshall Islands
Tri808...
2010-06-23 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2940329

User image

APO, Marshall Islands

Tri808...

Hmm, not sure how that blank post got there. 

Cost isn't so much of an issue.  I really wouldn't mind paying $100-150 to fly to Maui.  Mostly just concerned about getting in a situation that would cause me to miss my connecting flight.

Storage of my stuff won't be an issue if I stay on O'ahu as I will have my hotel room into the afternoon.  I suppose I could rent a car on Maui, but that seems like a waste just using it for a locker. 

Yes, I suppose it is a bit of a hassle... but I love cycling and live on a small, flat island.  The thought of riding REAL roads again is pretty exciting.  Of course I am going to get 5-6 weeks of riding in on my trip, so I suppose I could just relax during my layover and have that beer after all. 

Edited by racalvert 2010-06-23 9:27 PM

2010-06-24 5:26 AM
in reply to: #2940344

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

well, I would stick to Oahu if you only have a 12 hour layover...

as Tri808 mentioned, you will have to fork out quite a bit to go to outer islands, and it isn't worth it with that short of time.

since you will be in the Honolulu area, I would ride up Kalanianole Hwy to Hawaii Kai, but detour through Hawaii Kai drive (check google maps) to bypass the coastal road, since it is very narrow for cyclists..then you can swing back to the coastal road to continue on to the windward side (waimanalo and kailua). as far as you wish to go really.

2010-06-24 5:29 AM
in reply to: #2940306

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
tri808 - 2010-06-24 3:55 PM

Noel,

Are you talking about the Hilo side of the Big Island?  I have only been to Hilo a few times, but can't remember the road conditions.

As far as Kona...Queen K hwy is extremely bike friendly...and we all know how much history is there as far as triathlons are concerned.  But seriously...it's riding in an oven in the middle of an endless lava field.  It loses it's aura pretty quick if you ask me...

yeah you right. I do like the wide shoulders though, I'd like to go all the way to the end of the road in Hawi. I talked to a guy that did UltraMan and he was telling me about his rides around Big Island. also some local riders from Big island were getting me psyched... lots of spots to ride.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Passing through O'ahu, looking for a good ride Rss Feed