General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathlon in September....have a few questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-22 8:48 PM

Subject: First Triathlon in September....have a few questions
Hi there....I will be competing in my first triathlon this September (The Great Atlantic Ocean Tri, Seaside Heights, NJ) and I had a couple of questions...

First, I recently purchased a bike and don't really know anything about cycling.  Actually, I don't know a single thing about cycling as this is my first bike since I was about 12 years old. 

First question is my bike didn't come with pedals....what to do about this?  I was able to get a pair of cycling shoes from a friend (Shimano TR-02) but I'm not sure what pedals to get for these shoes?   Are pedals specific to shes and vice versa?

Also, I am pretty sure just from looking at pictures of shoes that there is supposed to be something else on the bottom of these shoes...seems like something screws into them.  Can I just go to a local bike shop and get this figured out?

I realize these are pretty elementary questions but for my first tri, I figured I would start training, get the equipment as I went a long and sot of figure it out from there.

Any other advice anyone has re: cycling or tris in general would be greatly appreciated?  Also, is there any other equipment that people think is absolutely necessary, aside from the obvious (suit, bike, helment, shoes...etc.)?

Thanks for reading!

2010-06-22 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2937787

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: First Triathlon in September....have a few questions
Welcome Adam. As you are already a swimmer the biggest challenge most folks face starting out in triathlon is irrelevant and your newbiness to cycling should be easily overcome. Just visit your local bike shop (often called LBS on  here) and they will hook you up with pedals and cleats for your shoes. There are several mechanisms for attaching your shoes to the bike and I daresay most on here will recommend Shimano, as will I. Be prepared for a bit of a price shock however. 

I would practice clipping in and out a lot with your new shoes in a safe place such as on a 'trainer' or leaning against a wall. You will fall once or twice as you get going so accept that as part of the deal!

Search some of the plans here and find one that works for you.

seehere

Ask anything you want; there are some real experts on here who would be glad to answer any specific question you have, and the search function works well here too.

Good luck!

Blair

Edited by blairrob 2010-06-22 9:27 PM
2010-06-22 9:22 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Congrats on entering the sport Adam!  You'll love it.  Lucky for you, you're already a swimmer.  Always helps to have one event you are already good at!  

Rob already answered, so go with that for now and good luck!   
2010-06-22 9:37 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

Recommending a Shimano Pedal and cleats for you.

Shimano R540 Road Bike Pedal

or if you want to splurge get the :

Shimano Ultegra 6700 Road Bike Pedal

this will come with the cleats to install on your shoes.
2010-06-22 10:07 PM

User image

Pro
I'd recommend the Look Keo Easy pedals.
They're light, cheap and work really well.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathlon in September....have a few questions Rss Feed