General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Assess my current Training level Please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-22 9:15 PM

User image

West Georgia
Subject: Assess my current Training level Please
So I am training for my first Triathlon. I am doing a sprint. Or I plan to. I really feel like I need to add more run mileage or I will keep being slow. I am trying to get back my sub 20 5K and low 40 min 10k's of last year, before I was injured (calf/achilles). I am gradually increasing my mileage on the run again. I am adding more swims. I think right now that those are my weakest area as I rode my bike all winter long and I commute to work 3 days a week usually on the bike. 

I want some suggestions from you more experienced tri guys. If I can get my run fitness back I am planning on getting a coach next season. So give me some ideas. It is so hard to balance all three sports.

If I was just running I could ramp mileage up to 60+ a week and be fast by winter for sure. But i want to still be able to swim and bike too.

I think I am going to do an 8 week swim and then 8 week run focus plan in the off season then start with an Oly plan.

What do you think? 

2010-06-22 9:26 PM
in reply to: #2937839

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Assess my current Training level Please
I'd grab a free training plan from this website if I were you.  Oh...and spend more time on the bike.  Bike bike bike.  You may think you are biking enough because you're biking to work and biked all winter, but you need to assess this ASAP.  You'll make up a ton of time on the bike, even in a sprint.  And don't run yourself back into injuries.  Be smart.  You don't have time to sit around injured and go back to square one in this sport.  If you are overdoing it, SLOW DOWN.
2010-06-22 9:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
ironically,,,our goals are somewhat  identical...i too have running back ground, but, i realize that my swim times will not get much faster...the run, i can do fairly comfortable, but the bike, i have to get my miles in....I have noticed, it is the run even though easier, is where the injuries occur....Play it smart...be safe...JorgeM from here BT has a good little read " Train smart to race fast"...or something like that...Dont try to get somewhere that you are not.....at least not yet. And oh yes...i still call the swim..."my swim monster"...  

Not sure if this helps much but....Enjoy
2010-06-24 9:12 AM

User image

West Georgia
I think that as I put in more and more mileage I will get fast. I just it so hard to find balance. I am going to have to start doing all 3 on probably two days a week. 

How many days a week do most of you fast guys do all 3? 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Assess my current Training level Please Rss Feed