General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Interrupted training advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-22 9:24 PM

New user

Subject: Interrupted training advice
Hi All--

I'm gearing up to do my first half ironman this year (Austin) after a year and a half of sprint and olympic distance races.  I've been training pretty consistent this whole time so I've established a good base, but I would by no means call myself a fast racer....more of a middle of the packer for my age group (30-35).

I'm planning to do a 16 week training plan for this race but in August, I have to go on a 9 day trip that will take me away from my bike and probably away from a reliable swim center.  I will be able to run as much as I want, though.

From those who've got some experience with this, I'd like to hear how I should continue my training during this period.  Should I run every day, or am I going to put myself at risk for a stress fracture or other injury?  Should I just plan to lay relatively low on the training and run every other day?

Any thoughts would be welcome!  thanks for your help!

2010-06-22 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2937852

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Interrupted training advice
I would just do the running the training plan calls for (aka do not run extra an injure yourself) and not sweat missing the bike and swim time.

I would also probably make sure though, that the lost time on the bike was found before/after the vacation.

Not sure what your training plan calls for, but I typically do 3:30 hour rides 2 times a month... and then I do 4:30-5:00 hour rides 1 time a month... for the last 3 months before the race.

Good luck!

Edited by KSH 2010-06-22 10:29 PM
2010-06-23 6:52 AM
in reply to: #2937852

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Interrupted training advice

I would ride/swim a lot the week before and after your trip, and then run a bit more while on the trip.  How much more?  That's tricky.  If you come from a running background you can run as much as you feel comfortable with, but if you came from a running background you probably wouldn't be asking.  Therefore, I would run more than the plan calls for, but not everyday and don't add longer runs or high intensity stuff.  Just enjoy some nice cruising runs of moderate distance.

btw, a little break might help you on the mental side.  HIM training can be a grind.  Also, if you post some background info on where you are at with your training you will get better answers.

Goodluck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Interrupted training advice Rss Feed