General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good tri events for kids Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-23 10:10 AM

User image

Chelsea, MI
Subject: Good tri events for kids
@aero and crew...

Our daughter's 9 and has expressed an interest in training for a sprint tri after seeing us train all season. She's got a ways to go, so we're thinking next year, assuming she keeps improving her bike/swim skills - she routinely does 5Ks with us.

I was thinking if she was ready she might do Hawk Island with me again next year... it was such a friendly event, on the shorter side, they take 10 year olds, and there were so many kids around.

What events do you think are good for kids? Southern Michigan preferred, just for a shorter drive on race day.

Heather

2010-06-23 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2938682

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Subject: RE: Good tri events for kids
Heather:

Perfect timing to get her started.   Both my kids did SuperKids Hartland & Crosstown Kids Howell last year.  Both were very well done and I would highly recommend both.  We'll be at Hartland again this year, but not Howell as we'll be out of town for this one.  SuperKids is a 3D event, with the same jumps and stuff they had set up at Motor City (they do their typical medal too).  Kenny did an exceptional job of calling out the kids by name while on the run course and at the finish.  Howell is done by their parks & rec. department.  The had Element Events do the timing (along with Race Services) & course logistics.  Jim did the same as Kenny, calling out the kids by name as they finished.

My kids are hooked.  Tess is going to be 14 this weekend and has done one sprint relay, is doing a relay at metro beach this weekend and, if we can get some swim work in, may do a sprint on her own by the end of the year.  Below are links to both events, feel free to shoot me a note with more questions, etc (and hope to see you all at Hartland).

http://superkidstry.com/races/hartland

http://www.howellrecreation.org/CrosstownKidsTriathlon.html

Edited by AeroBaldness 2010-06-23 12:06 PM
2010-06-23 5:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
Grand Haven has a nice kids event on Saturday before the adult race.  They swim 100 yards in the  pool and get to use the bike and run transition that is used on Sunday.  The information is on the Grand Haven Triathlon web site.    Last year was the first time.  All kids got finishing medals and pizza after.  I worked the transition area, it was a blast. 

Edited by gojogo 2010-06-23 5:42 PM
2010-06-24 1:58 PM

User image

Chelsea, MI
Hi Jo! We're actually doing Grand Haven this year, and it's near the grandparents', so maybe we'll get a chance to see that in action.

Ted - I'm so sorry, I posted this thread without having seen yours! Thanks for taking the time to give your feedback when you should be concentrating 100% on getting yourself and your bike fixed up. I'll definitely look into those two events.

P.S. Advice on training is welcome; I'm hesitant to push her into any specific program in the interests of a) keeping her interested, b) keeping it fun and c) not overtraining a 9 year old... don't want to be one of THOSE parents. At the same time, she's really excited, so I want to make sure she's trained enough for it to be an easy, fun experience.

Edited by HNewman 2010-06-24 1:59 PM
2010-06-24 2:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods

No need to apologize, this board has been great therapy for me to get my head right!!

Best advice is to keep it fun.  Prior to the kids events last year, I set up a transition rack and we even practiced transition (which paid off HUGE for both kids).  I am hoping to bring a whole crew of freind's kids to Hartland & transition 101 will be taught the week before. 

Doing an event should be the only motivation you'll need to get her to want to do one again.  I'm not sure my kids even realized what a great workout they got during the event.  They were more caught up in the cool medal, the fun atmosphere &, of course, the snacks.  The two of you have set a great example for a healthy lifestyle and I am betting has heard how much fun you've had doing it.  She'll feel the same way, I am guessing, after trying one.  Other than this, I'd say, just take every opportunity to go for a run, ride or swim and she'll be WAY ahead of the other kids out there.

Thought of one more thing, eBay her some real tri gear if you can.  I picked up tri shorts for both kids & a tri top for my daughter.  They both loved being outfitted with cool gear (although, it created a bit of a monster, as my daughter already grew out of her stuff and won't settle for anything less that more tri gear - and is now fond of Zoot).

If you are a fan of 3D on facebook, I uploaded group shots of the kids in the water & at the finish line at SuperKids MotorCity to thier page if you'd like to see a few photos.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good tri events for kids Rss Feed