General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2011-04-18 7:06 PM
in reply to: #3453613

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
Subject: RE: Ironman St. George : Official Thread
weeds19 - 2011-04-18 4:46 PM

I just received an email from the IM SG race organizers with the "just released" schedule of events.  The schedule and email states that athletes must check in on Wed or Thur prior to 3pm. 

Is this normal protocol?  I can't imagine that everyone else has scheduled travel to arrive early on Thursday for a Saturday race.  Perhaps I missed some information when I originally signed up about the check in times...

From what I understand that is what they did last year. I was told that that would be the case. Of course for me it is just a quick 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive.

Hope everyone's training and prep is going well. Me I cracked my all carbon handle bars on sat. so the bike is in the shop.

2011-04-18 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2941892

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Exactly how it was last year. Many folks arrive on Wednesday.

You definitly do not want to be time stressed for an IM.

Edited by LittleCat 2011-04-18 8:00 PM
2011-04-18 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Any one hear anything from Laura11?

On the IM thread she posted about a possible stress fracture....

Hey Laura, I hope your okay!!!!
2011-04-19 12:18 AM
in reply to: #3453613

User image

Master
San Francisco
weeds19 - 2011-04-18 4:46 PM

I just received an email from the IM SG race organizers with the "just released" schedule of events.  The schedule and email states that athletes must check in on Wed or Thur prior to 3pm. 

Is this normal protocol?  I can't imagine that everyone else has scheduled travel to arrive early on Thursday for a Saturday race.  Perhaps I missed some information when I originally signed up about the check in times...

that's normal for full M-dot races - register 2 days before, T1/T2 gear check in day before.

race program says check in is going until 4pm.  They usually have this down so check in usually occurs pretty quickly.

2011-04-19 6:17 AM
in reply to: #3453738

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH

LittleCat - 2011-04-18 9:03 PM Any one hear anything from Laura11? On the IM thread she posted about a possible stress fracture.... Hey Laura, I hope your okay!!!!

Hey I'm still alive! I don't know about my foot for sure.... I've been doing alot of stretching/massage and it feels better.... The weird thing is it hurts about 2 hrs into a ride. Doesn't hurt when I run though, which is weird. Either way I'm not, not going to do IMSG so I've been doing as much riding as my foot will tolerate.  I'm going to check cleat placement on Saturday when I take my bike in to be shipped.  Just getting my game face on Cool

#104!!!!!!!!!!!

2011-04-19 8:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
I'll be flying into Vegas Wed, staying there Wed night and heading out to St. George early in the am. Looking at the map it's a 1.5-2hr drive. Is that right? Anyone know of a good pre race restaurant for thursday/friday?

2011-04-19 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3454376

User image

Regular
Las Vegas

laurak11 - 2011-04-19 6:50 AM I'll be flying into Vegas Wed, staying there Wed night and heading out to St. George early in the am. Looking at the map it's a 1.5-2hr drive. Is that right? Anyone know of a good pre race restaurant for thursday/friday?

Yes the drive to St. George is about 1.5-2 hr drive depending on how fast you want to go. I normally go about 80mph all the way up. I am not sure about restaurants though.

2011-04-20 6:58 AM
in reply to: #3454376

laurak11 - 2011-04-19 8:50 AM I'll be flying into Vegas Wed, staying there Wed night and heading out to St. George early in the am. Looking at the map it's a 1.5-2hr drive. Is that right? Anyone know of a good pre race restaurant for thursday/friday?

yeah, the drive is just 113 miles or so. at 75 you can do it in about 1:45. careful, i think LV is in a different time zone! that's what i heard.

downtown the place to eat is the bear paw for breakfast/lunch and pasta factory for lunch/dinner. both right downtown a block apart (it's a small town-easy to get around) and near T2 / Finish.

Note; check in is at the Dixie Center, whick is at the far south end of town right off the highway. You many want to go there first ccming from Vegas. Directions are on the Dixie Center web site. i think it's exit 6.

to weeds19 and others.

Friday will be a hectic day. you have to go out to sand hollow and check in your bike and T1 bag. That's 20 miles west of town. hopefully get in a swim. Then go to downtown and check in T2 bag at transition/finish. all between 9 and 3 (along with 1800 other racers). Registration/expo is in another location several miles away. Things here are pretty scattered so be prepared to do some driving around.

my suggestions

arrive thursday, check out bike course, drive loop. do a short ride on the CR3184 section (15 miles) which ends at Veyo (check gearing/shifting for some hills and the veyo wall) That section is all hills so use your discretion. Get a pie at Veyo Pies on the corner of CR3184 and U18/Bluff. they are fantastic!!

Go to Convention Center south of town in the afternoon. How late, depends on how much Expo shopping or mechanical help you need. Do that later because the mandatory meeting and pasta dinner are there starting after check in. Check in closes at 4, expo at 4:30 and dinner starts at 5:30 and meeting at 7:30 (as dinner ends). So, uless you want to leave and drive back to the center it might be best to hang out for the hour (4:30-5:30) and go thru all the stuff and prepare your T1 and T2 bags and special needs bags (subject to final review later) and go over any adjustments to the bike based on your ride or mechanical help.

Or you could check in and do the expo early (esp. if  coming up from vegas) and then drive the bike loop and/or go to sand hollow res. and return for the dinner and meeting.

Note: i understand it costs $10 to get into Sand Hollow Res. but it's free with an IM wristband you get at check in - so check in first thing.

Friday, early. if you need bike tech go to dixie ctr again or bike shop downtown. then get to sand hollow for bike check in and T1 bag and do a swim (i think it's open to swimming). you may want to bike part of the section heading out of T1. it's  22 miles to the begining of the loops. do what you think is right. it's hilly. this will take most of  the morning. be prepared for lines and traffic! make mental notes of swim exit (it's a long boat ramp), T1 bag position (so you can find it when you exit the swim cold and dazed), route to changing tent, route to bike location, T1 bike exit mounting zone. Do a walk thru and visualize. go thru changing sequence so you can do it blindfolded!

drive from sand hollow to downtown on the bike course. (using bluff/diagnal st).  note, the last part (about 6 mies) is also the run course (2 out and backs; 6x4=24; plus 2 loops thru pioneer park and two out/back at elks club). follow it into town and check in your T2 bag. go thru same walk thru/changing/visualization here.

might do a short run on the begining of the run course. the first 3 miles are uphill. it's about 5 to pioneer park (if you can have someone meet you there with the car). the park gives  a great vista of the entire town to really get a sense of it all. not a bad idea to stop there on the drive back to get the view. it's worth it. it's free.

if you didn't drive the loop yesterday do it now. if you have time check out the 'no pass' sections of the bike course. this is on the loop, just  past the intersection of U18/Bluff and Snow Canyon Pkwy. This is a potential danger zone as you have some tight turns going thru and underpass on a narrow paved trail. this is to get you onto the other side of the road, to do the loops, without stopping traffice to have you channge lanes. it looks like you are in the oncoming traffic lanes from T1 then switch over to the right side to go with traffic for the 2 loops, then switch again to get to diagnal st and T2. not as complicated as it sounds but at least check it out on google earth. it's a narrow path and a no pass zone so you don't want to mess up!!

The pasta factory for and early dinner. early to bed. even if you don't sleep, get off your feet.

drink water all day. put on chapstic and sun tan lotion - it's dry. it's hot. it's sunny.

Good Luck to everyone.

bb

Edited by tritobikeswimrun 2011-04-20 7:28 AM
2011-04-20 7:09 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
Thanks for the run down. It is awesome I am printing it out!. There is a time change going from Vegas to St. George. Vegas is  pacific time and St. George is Mountain. So you loss an hour going to St. George and gain one coming back to Vegas.
2011-04-20 9:46 PM
in reply to: #3456025

User image

Regular
Ventura

Nice job tritobikeswimrun, really appreciate it! 

BTW taper sucks!

2011-04-21 10:21 AM

SLC

If you're interested in following the Pro race, I've posted the Pro Women's field for St. George w/links to their blogs/twitter here: http://bit.ly/if8z7Y

Will be a good race -- Jodie Swallow, Dede Griesbauer, Meredith Kessler, and last year's winner Heather Wurtele are probably the favorites. 

Going to post the men once I finish gathering all their sites etc. 

2011-04-23 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3436901

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

I sooooooo wish I could be there again this year!

Edited by emd9702 2011-04-23 2:56 PM
2011-04-23 8:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Great News.... Sand Hollow is up to 55 degrees!

And with the weather out there perfectly in the high seventies/ low eighties, the water should get to be the same as last year

Tri Bike Transport picked up my bike today. This is getting very real.

2011-04-24 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3462753

SLC
It is actually even warmer than that. We swam there yesterday, and I'd say it was upper 50s, close to 60. I'm thinking both the water and the air are going to be warmer this year.
2011-04-24 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Oh I sure hope the water is warmer! 60 would be downright balmy compared to last year!
2011-04-24 9:38 PM

New user

Clarksville, TN

A couple of quick advice questions from folks who have done the race before.

Did anyone wear arm warmers on the bike? Do they help after the cold swim? How difficult are these things to put on when you are wet?

I have a set of Zipp tubular tires but the spares are very heavy and I am not experienced changing them at all. I am leaning toward just riding my training tires because of the possible mechanical issues (I have two spares tires and I'm sure I can change them if needed but it may take a bit) and the high winds. Should I just leave these at home? Is anyone not riding their carbon wheels because of wind concerns?

Thanks for the replies to my previous post. I've been traveling out of town and away from the computer.

2011-04-24 11:38 PM
in reply to: #3463688

SLC
I wore arm warmers. They definitely help if it is cold. Put a small towell in your transition bag, wipe your arms down and slip the arm warmers on--only takes a second. You can also roll them off your arms like a sock, then slip them on to your arm and roll them back on.

On the wheels, you're saying you have tubular race wheels, but you're not sure you can change the tire in case of a flat and the spares are heavy--but you have clincher training wheels. Right? What are your race wheels? Personally, I like clinchers because I know I can change those. But, if you have tubulars you could use this next two weeks to get some practice changing them? Better to do it at least once before the race. Then you could have your local shop glue them back if you wanted before the race.

Or, if it is just the weight of the spares, you could just store one on the bike and put the second in your special needs bag. Not that likely you'd need both, and if you use one you can get the other at the halfway point.

As far as the winds, I'm going to watch the forecast carefully and bring my best front training wheel. If it looks the winds will be really extreme I'll go with that on the front. Otherwise, if it is 20mph or lower I'll go with my race wheel as planned.

Good luck with your race prep!
2011-04-24 11:55 PM
in reply to: #3463688

User image

Master
San Francisco

sure, if it's colder out, wear arm warmers.  

How deep are your race wheels (primarily the front)?  I own two sets of race wheels, but I'll probably just bring the 404 front and 808 rear (other set is an 808 front + disc) since I'm not sure how windy it will be.  I only weigh about 135 lbs. so riding an 808 front in the wind can be handful (although I have done it).

Relatively speaking, the chances of flatting are low, but you obviously need to be prepared in case it does.  I'm guessing your race wheels are pretty new if you don't yet know how to put on a tire.  You do have time to learn.  Also, you wouldn't bring more than 1 spare.  Overall, a carbon tubular race wheel with a spare should probably still be lighter than training clinchers with a spare tube.

2011-04-25 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Last year it was cool enough that I wore a long sleeve polar fleece lined jersey. But I tend to get cold easy and have a hard time warming up(downfall of having low body fat.) What I tucked in my back pocket that turned out to be really useful was a thin, cheap(think Target) pair of knit gloves-helped warm my hands after the swim but totally disposable at a drop zone. I have also used tube socks withh the toes cut off for arm warmers when I just wanted some extra warmth out of the water but knew I wuldnt need them once I was warm. Again, these are disposable at a drop zone.
2011-04-25 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Last year it was cool enough that I wore a long sleeve polar fleece lined jersey. But I tend to get cold easy and have a hard time warming up(downfall of having low body fat.) What I tucked in my back pocket that turned out to be really useful was a thin, cheap(think Target) pair of knit gloves-helped warm my hands after the swim but totally disposable at a drop zone. I have also used tube socks withh the toes cut off for arm warmers when I just wanted some extra warmth out of the water but knew I wuldnt need them once I was warm. Again, these are disposable at a drop zone. I always keep a pair of tube sock arm warmers in my T1 bag for this reason.
2011-04-25 7:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Could someone please give me a run down on logistics for my wife to get out to Sand Hollow for the swim start? Does she have to drive out a ways to get a shuttle out to the reservoir? Then shuttle back to her car and drive to the bike route? I'm a very slow racer, so she'll have a lot of time to get around, but I'd like to show her all of this on Friday before the race. Last year, because I was all alone out in St George, I paid zero attention to what the spectators had to do.

Thanks for any input.

2011-04-25 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3465606

SLC
I believe last year spectators had to drive out to hurricane then take a shuttle over to the reservoir. From what my family said, getting back out of the parking lot after the swim start was kind of crazy.Then they have a shuttle from down in St George at T2/finish that will take people out to Ivins to see the bike. I think there is more explanation in the athlete packet too.
2011-04-25 10:13 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
I remember that at the corner that leads to the steep run climb up to the bluff, its is also the corner that we turn to go out to the 2nd lap of the bike. Its about 2 miles from the finish line-easily walkable since you follow the route to get to it, so plenty to see.

2011-04-25 11:09 PM
in reply to: #3465851

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA

LittleCat - 2011-04-25 10:13 PM I remember that at the corner that leads to the steep run climb up to the bluff, its is also the corner that we turn to go out to the 2nd lap of the bike. Its about 2 miles from the finish line-easily walkable since you follow the route to get to it, so plenty to see.

Yep, last year my mom and I spectated for my dad and brother, and other than the morning out at the resvoir, we spent the whole day at that intersection where the second bike loop goes off to the left and the run loop goes off to the right.   There's a bunch of food places a few hundred yards down the hill too.

2011-04-26 6:56 AM
in reply to: #3465606

if i understand correctly.

spectators drive to the 'fairgrounds' which is not far off the highway (I15) on RT9 then get shuttled to the swim venue, about 6 miles away. after the swim cutoff is over they are shuttled back to the fairgrounds. they can then drive to I15 to shoot back to town or go to the vantage point they want. you can take I15 to St George Blvd and come into town and miss a lot of the road closings. another option is to bypass town and go south of the city and come up to a vantage point on the bike course.

since they don't get to leave the swim until all the bikers are gone they probably will not catch you on the first loop so will have to wait until the second loop to see you. so, parking in town and taking a shuttle to Ivins sounds like a good option. then take it back to see T2.

good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 13