General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Very first Tri an Ironman? Good/Bad Idea Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-06-25 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2942307

User image

Regular
Fort Bragg, NC
Subject: RE: Very first Tri an Ironman? Good/Bad Idea
My first tri was an Olympic, and I wasn't nearly as fit as you are saying that you are. I may have done it for the wrong reasons - I really wanted bragging rights. Did I finish? Sure, and I'm still really proud of my performance. I actually still haven't beaten that time yet. Did I hurt myself? No, it was nothing that sleeping for the next 18 hours couldn't fix.

I'm saying yes, you could do it, i.e. it's possible. I think one of the big things that people don't realize is that an entire triathlon is not the same thing as being capable of swimming, biking, and running, or even doing all three well. It's all of it, one after another, and being able to easily switch from one to another. I didn't spend my first tri beating myself down because I couldn't run the full distance and had to walk (I knew I wasn't in great shape), but being my first tri, I did spend an awful lot of time being pretty confused about how things really work. Things like swimming in a pack of thrashing people, how and when to change shoes, how to set up a transition area, whether or not to wear socks, sunglasses, bike shorts, a t-shirt, how I would feel running after biking, when, whether, and what to eat or drink during the bike and swim...

The point is, there's a lot of confidence and skill to be gained through experience, and a shorter race is going to grant you that without having to go out and spend a boatload of cash on race fees and gear. That's my $0.02.

2010-06-25 10:42 AM

Expert
Confused.

You have big concerns about time, money and transportation.

You do realize all 3 of those things become AMPLIFIED with ironman entry and training????

To reiterate everyone else.  Yes, this would be a really bad idea.
2010-06-25 11:44 AM

New user
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the feedback.  I think it would be hard to ignore the majority of seasoned advice being given.  While it does seem to be possible to do I can see the sense in how it may not be the best way to approach it.  The training that I mentioned is what I've been doing for the last 8 weeks, before that it would of just purely been running (about 35 per week).  I have every intention of keeping the current level up as well as increasing where possible.  A lot of you guys mentioned the sacrifice needed and I can certainly respect that.  As far as family and loved one's go that wouldn't necessarily be a problem as I'm currently single and all family are back home.  

So some people mentioned the benefit of getting some simulated experience in if I couldn't get actual race experience.  That's something I could certainly do and I think joining a tri club here in Houston would be a good idea also.  Appreciate all the food for thought guys!
2010-06-25 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2943622

New user
Road Phoenix - 2010-06-25 10:42 AM Confused.

You do realize all 3 of those things become AMPLIFIED with ironman entry and training????

Aye Phoenix I do agree with what you said.  My issue with time, money and transport mostly effects my ability to travel for competition.  Those are things that are pretty much out of my control.  Things that are within my control, such as the ability and desire to train are not so much affected.  A local competition such as the one I mentioned in the Woodlands would overcome a lot of the initial difficulties.  Now the fact that the race in Woodlands is an IM I again agree may not be the best entry point into triathlons.
2010-06-25 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran

Bad idea.

Imagine if you trained for a year, put all of this time and effort and money into it, and then failed to finish because of something stupid like a problem with your goggles.

Doing a couple of smaller races before your IM will be a HUGE help in ensuring that you're prepared to successfully finish the ironman.

2010-06-25 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2943873

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
IrishLadinTexas - 2010-06-25 12:53 PM

Aye Phoenix I do agree with what you said.  My issue with time, money and transport mostly effects my ability to travel for competition.  Those are things that are pretty much out of my control.  Things that are within my control, such as the ability and desire to train are not so much affected.  A local competition such as the one I mentioned in the Woodlands would overcome a lot of the initial difficulties.  Now the fact that the race in Woodlands is an IM I again agree may not be the best entry point into triathlons.

you stilll have to transport all your crap to midlands...i can't believe there are NO shorter distance races in houston.  do an oly, spend 100 bucks, borrow a car from a friend/get a ride from a tri club or cycling club person.  you are in an area that is HUGE on running/cycling/tri, i find it hard to belive that IM woodlands is your only option.

i mean, physically, yes it's possible to start at IM.  some people have these huge dreams about it and while it's not my idea of fun, it's possible.  but you're only motivation is...convenience?  that doesn't seem like enough to get you to hang on at mile 20 of the run...

Edited by meherczeg 2010-06-25 12:14 PM

2010-06-25 1:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I would not do it.  Race some sprints and olympics and learn the sport before you leap into something like this.  Be a volunteer in 2011 and signup for 2012 (that's what I'm doing).  It will be there when your ready.
2010-06-25 1:45 PM

User image

Pro
You'll learn a lot and have a good time doing shorter Tri's.
Just did a club tri last night.  Just a sprint, and the donation was $5.  That included a nice barbeque afterwards. 

Find a local club and pursue your goal wisely.  You'll get there.
2010-06-25 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2943958

New user
meherczeg - 2010-06-25 12:11 PM

you stilll have to transport all your crap to midlands...i can't believe there are NO shorter distance races in houston.  do an oly, spend 100 bucks, borrow a car from a friend/get a ride from a tri club or cycling club person.  you are in an area that is HUGE on running/cycling/tri, i find it hard to belive that IM woodlands is your only option.

i mean, physically, yes it's possible to start at IM.  some people have these huge dreams about it and while it's not my idea of fun, it's possible.  but you're only motivation is...convenience?  that doesn't seem like enough to get you to hang on at mile 20 of the run...

Aye meherczeg I certainly didn't mean to imply that I was only interested in doing it because of convenience. That would be disrespectful to the challenge of participating in an IM and those who have done it.  

2010-06-25 2:05 PM

New user
Well thanks again for the all input guys, I really do appreciate all the feedback and I think I'm a little more grounded now.  I'm going to look into some nearby sprints or Oly and see how I get on and take it from there (maybe a HIM Tongue out).  As many of you have said, Woodlands is going to be there in 2012/13 etc. so I guess it'll give me a long term goal to work towards.
2010-06-25 2:17 PM
in reply to: #2942419

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
KathyG - 2010-06-24 4:59 PM

I very much doubt it will fill up tomorrow.  The last couple new IM races took long time to fill. I don't think St. George ever did fill. Cozumel took awhile as well.

5 year contract is long time. Ironman TX will be there until 2016 so you have plenty of time to try a tri and see if you even like the sport.

It is bad idea to do Ironman as first tri in my opinion. Some folks don't listen to good advice and do it anyway. You asked and hopefully you will take to heart what many experienced triathletes share with you.

If you are currently swim, bike and running often, check out the TX forum below find a sprint race sign up and do it. If you like it then consider if you have enough time and drive to train for IM.  Training for IM is big commitment not only for you, but those who love you and even your employment. It sucks up a lot of time and it can have negative effects on relationships. If you like tri'ing and you have the time to train, in time you can do an Ironman.

No hurry..enjoy the journey as the journey we discover a lot about ourselves..why rush it?

2010-06-25 2:17 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

I very much doubt it will fill up tomorrow.  The last couple new IM races took long time to fill. I don't think St. George ever did fill. Cozumel took awhile as well.

5 year contract is long time. Ironman TX will be there until 2016 so you have plenty of time to try a tri and see if you even like the sport.

It is bad idea to do Ironman as first tri in my opinion. Some folks don't listen to good advice and do it anyway. You asked and hopefully you will take to heart what many experienced triathletes share with you.

If you are currently swim, bike and running often, check out the TX forum below find a sprint race sign up and do it. If you like it then consider if you have enough time and drive to train for IM.  Training for IM is big commitment not only for you, but those who love you and even your employment. It sucks up a lot of time and it can have negative effects on relationships. If you like tri'ing and you have the time to train, in time you can do an Ironman.

No hurry..enjoy the journey as the journey we discover a lot about ourselves..why rush it?

2010-06-25 2:21 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Great advice Kathy, as always.

Too many have gotten drawn into the hype. While I support everyone I know who signed up, I know of 2 people who haven't done a tri for anywhere from 1 to 3 yrs and who haven't been training who signed up for it. I know of a couple of other who are in the same boat considering it.

While doing an Ironman is great, it still needs to be respected. It seems like so many are forgetting about the distance and just want to go do it. Without thinking "hey, I have not trained for 2 years and I stopped doing tri's... but yeah, why not!" Boggles my mind. But I am a rational person. Ha.
2010-06-25 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2944340

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
IrishLadinTexas - 2010-06-25 2:49 PM
meherczeg - 2010-06-25 12:11 PM

Aye meherczeg I certainly didn't mean to imply that I was only interested in doing it because of convenience. That would be disrespectful to the challenge of participating in an IM and those who have done it.  

I just don't think you've pointed out a good reason to do this IM.  You have given reasons why you can't do any shorter races which all apply to the IM race as well.  Do you have a real reason to do this?  The only reason you gave was "it's on your doorstep."  And that's certainly not the ONLY race in Houston.

Edited by meherczeg 2010-06-25 2:23 PM
2014-09-28 6:29 PM

At the pre- race info session for IM-Louisville they asked if anyone was doing the IM as their first tri...three people raised their hands. The group that I was sitting with all came to the same conclusion, either they are nuts or much braver than us mere mortals.
2014-09-28 8:11 PM
in reply to: mchughmtsinai

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by mchughmtsinai

At the pre- race info session for IM-Louisville they asked if anyone was doing the IM as their first tri...three people raised their hands. The group that I was sitting with all came to the same conclusion, either they are nuts or much braver than us mere mortals.

Note: This thread is 4 years old....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Very first Tri an Ironman? Good/Bad Idea Rss Feed  

of 2