General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Very first Tri an Ironman? Good/Bad Idea Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-06-24 4:06 PM

New user
Subject: Very first Tri an Ironman? Good/Bad Idea
In a nutshell, would it be crazy to make an Ironman your very first ever triathlon race?

Some background I guess might help.  I'm an Irish lad who moved here to Houston, Texas about a year ago now to attend Grad. School.  Since then I've been bitten by the tri bug and have longed to break into the sport.  Three factors though limit the amount of race experience I have or will be able to get

1) Time (school is full time and unrelenting, holiday time is completely reserved for trips back home to Ireland)
2) Money.  Basically living from hand to mouth at the moment.  Entry fee's for IM are expensive I know but added to that the cost of flights and hotels make it above what I could afford.
3) No car.  Yes I know I'm living in Houston but have been easily managing without car by simply bicycle and sweating everywhere.

All this adds means that unless a race is literally on my doorstep I most likely wouldn't be able to participate.

And then they announced IronMan Woodlands! 

So I guess this is the real reason I am asking, the fact of having this particular IM so close is very tempting to me but I'm not sure if it's realistic in the slightest to sign up for an IM having no previous tri experience.

If it helps at all, I'm currently in good shape and s,b, r daily.  On average I can pull between 25-30 miles running,  80-100 miles biking and 3-4 hours in the pool per week.

Would the 11 months be enough time to prep for Woodlands do you guys think or am I best saving my $600 and waiting to gain more experience first?  Appreciate any advice you guys can give.

2010-06-24 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2942307

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Very first Tri an Ironman? Good/Bad Idea

Why can't you sign up......and do some shorter races before the date (next May)?

My gut reaction to your question is HELL YES......it's crazy.

2010-06-24 4:11 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
The best advice I was ever given when it comes to racing IM is that the distance will always be there; best to take your time and build up to the distance.

Can you do an IM as your first race - most likely.  Many have done it in the past and many will do it in the future.

Is it the best idea - I would argue that you would be better served racing short course for at least a season or two before stepping up to long and ultra distance events.

Although you would save on lodging, flights, etc; the race is still $600+.  Think of all the racing you could do this season for that amount of money (since you would have to spend that money this Friday).

Shane
2010-06-24 4:12 PM

User image

Champion
Crazy?  Yes.

Possible?  Yes.

Probably couldn't pick a race with more brutal weather (at least potentially).
2010-06-24 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
I went from couch to IM my first season. Did do a sprint, then HIM and then my IM.

You'll need to ramp up your biking deeper in your training plan, same for running. I'd expect you have a few weeks greater than 30 miles running.

That's more swimming than I've ever done for an IM, and I've done 4 of them now.

If you are planning on doing the event to finish, you can do it. I'd not go into this expecting to race the event.
2010-06-24 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi
Holy Crap! I knew triathlons were expensive, but I had NO CLUE an IRONMAN was $600 entry fee... My advice, use your money to do 3-5 smaller events this year... hell, you could even take a bus and rent a hotel room out of town and still spend less money...  other than that... I'd say go for it - but what do I know, I've only done Sprint Tri's & one Century Ride & one Marathon...

2010-06-24 4:38 PM

New user
My goal of course would not be to race the event but purely to finish.  The weather would not put me off, I am currently training in the Houston heat now and although I sweat like a I find I'm managing ok with lots of fluids.

Perhaps I just got caught up in all the excitement of the announcement.  I would just hate to not sign up tomorrow and in 8 months time when the event is drawing near be kicking myself.

I agree the $600 registration fee may be better served doing various other smaller races but it's difficult to find such races within my reach (lacking time to travel and a car).

Anyway I much appreciate the feedback so far and any more to come 
2010-06-24 4:42 PM

User image

IM Woodlands has a 5 year contract.  It's not going away in 2012.

Why not budget $200 to try some smaller local races from now till May 2011, and if you like them, sign up for Woodlands in 2012.

2010-06-24 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2942382

User image

IrishLadinTexas - 2010-06-24 12:38 PM My goal of course would not be to race the event but purely to finish.  The weather would not put me off, I am currently training in the Houston heat now and although I sweat like a I find I'm managing ok with lots of fluids.

Perhaps I just got caught up in all the excitement of the announcement.  I would just hate to not sign up tomorrow and in 8 months time when the event is drawing near be kicking myself.

I agree the $600 registration fee may be better served doing various other smaller races but it's difficult to find such races within my reach (lacking time to travel and a car).

Anyway I much appreciate the feedback so far and any more to come 

Join a tri group and make some local tri friends.  Find some people that are doing a local race you want to do, and I'm sure someone will be more than willing to give you a ride on race day.
2010-06-24 4:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi
I know what you mean getting caught up in the hype...  There are a lot of events that come up that I droool over, but I know what my body can/can't handle - after getting injured multiple times, I try not to get caught in the hype any more, and just know what I can/can't do...  and I know that the events don't go away - they may change from year to year, but there will be something when I'm ready for it... and that'll be the right time for me.
2010-06-24 4:50 PM
in reply to: #2942394

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I agree (with Tri808).  I have carpooled to races lots of times.

Also, can you drive in the US?  If so, you could even rent a car for the weekend.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2010-06-24 4:50 PM

2010-06-24 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2942382

User image

Expert
St. Louis
IrishLadinTexas - 2010-06-24 4:38 PM My goal of course would not be to race the event but purely to finish.  The weather would not put me off, I am currently training in the Houston heat now and although I sweat like a I find I'm managing ok with lots of fluids.

Here's your problem...you are on your way up, yet you say you only want to finish.  WHY is that...why don't you want to race it.  It is a race and there winners and losers.  Take your time and build-up to the distance...year 2012 or even 13.  When I was 16(now 18) i was like  that kansas 70.3 looks fun.  I did the race one year later with my max running week of 13miles (since i was injured).  The point is that it probably wasn't the best thing for me to do.  I should have waited a couple years and get my speed up in all three events.  You should w8 and do the same thing.

Edited by xcrunner2010 2010-06-24 5:00 PM
2010-06-24 4:59 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
I don't see why you couldn't do the woodlands IM as your first 'official' race.

I would suggest you put on some personal simulated races for yourself. When training for my first olympic distance race I would go to the pool or lake and swim 1.5km, then change and jump on the bike and ride 40km and then drop the bike off at home and go for a 10km run. Its even better if you have a buddy to do it with.  Maybe you could simulate a sprint, then an olympic, then HIM distance for yourself to get a feel for it...

2010-06-24 4:59 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I very much doubt it will fill up tomorrow.  The last couple new IM races took long time to fill. I don't think St. George ever did fill. Cozumel took awhile as well.

5 year contract is long time. Ironman TX will be there until 2016 so you have plenty of time to try a tri and see if you even like the sport.

It is bad idea to do Ironman as first tri in my opinion. Some folks don't listen to good advice and do it anyway. You asked and hopefully you will take to heart what many experienced triathletes share with you.

If you are currently swim, bike and running often, check out the TX forum below find a sprint race sign up and do it. If you like it then consider if you have enough time and drive to train for IM.  Training for IM is big commitment not only for you, but those who love you and even your employment. It sucks up a lot of time and it can have negative effects on relationships. If you like tri'ing and you have the time to train, in time you can do an Ironman.

No hurry..enjoy the journey as the journey we discover a lot about ourselves..why rush it?

2010-06-24 5:12 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
last year when I finished Redman my wife introduced to to a lady that was waiting on her husband to finish.  that was his 1st triathlon.  i didn't think it was the smartest thing in the world but kept the opinion to myself. afterall, he was out there finishing the last leg.  not sure when he finished and what he looked like when he finished but it can be done.  i just don't undertand why someone would want to go that distance for their 1st tri.  unless it's just bragging rights.  but if that's the case, you'll be dissapointed.  most people really don't give a rats arse.
2010-06-24 5:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
There is no "right" answer for everyone on this question.

Can you do it as your first?  Absolutely!  That's what I did and I am now working backwards into some shorter races like HIM's.  This has worked very well for me and is what drives and motivates me.  I would love to someday become a strong enough competitor to work down to the sprints and oly races with the podium in mind.  Until then Ironman keeps me motivated.

That said it definitely does not work that way for everyone and if you want to train for an Ironman be prepared to sacrifice A LOT.  Especially on your first one because you are not only trying to build a base but you are also trying to figure out how everything works (form, cadence, nutrition, etc..).  It is very difficult to train that hard with such a far out time horizon for the reward.

So, you just need to figure out what drives you and take a shot.  This is a great sport at any distance and you will reap rewards. 

2010-06-24 6:16 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
It's not crazy, but there is an extremely steep learning curve to go straight to the IM distance.  I'm currently in my 3rd year of racing with about a dozen races completed, including 1 HIM, and I have my first IM scheduled for this November, and I'm still nervous about it, because my training and race experience tells me that I should be.  Once you hit the HIM distance, things start getting more complicated, because of nutrition, hydration, etc.  Doing shorter distance races can be very valuable for learning some of the skills necessary to do well at the longer distances.

To answer your question, yes, you can do it, but I wouldn't suggest it.  Respect the distance.

Don
2010-06-24 6:18 PM

Master
, California
As for the "can you do it" part - I'd say yes.  It sounds like you're not a complete couch potato - bicycling everywhere.  But plan on probably at least 9 months of training and a minimum of 10 hours per week (ramping up as you go).  If you can fit that into your schedule and stick to your plan, then it's possible.

Edit: You'll need to plan some long time on your weekends too.  Have you done any centuries on the bike?  Also plan on learning a lot about proper nutrition -- it's something you don't worry about as much as shorter distances.

Holy Crap! I knew triathlons were expensive, but I had NO CLUE an IRONMAN was $600 entry fee

There's a good post over in the Ironman section of these forums about the real costs of racing an IM.  I'd say have a look at that and then decide if you can really afford it because the entry cost is just a minor part of it.

Edited by spudone 2010-06-24 6:20 PM
2010-06-24 7:15 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
IrishLadinTexas - 2010-06-24 5:06 PM

If it helps at all, I'm currently in good shape and s,b, r daily.  On average I can pull between 25-30 miles running,  80-100 miles biking and 3-4 hours in the pool per week.

Would the 11 months be enough time to prep for Woodlands do you guys think or am I best saving my $600 and waiting to gain more experience first?  Appreciate any advice you guys can give.

Is that the 'can' of "I could do it if I put my mind to it", or "occasionally I do that" or "that is what I regularly do and have been for a while"?  There's a big difference.

If it's the last -- you are currently at 25-30mpw running, 80-100mpw biking, and 3-4hrs per week in the pool, and that is 'normal' for you right now, then yes, you can do IM in 11 months, and really it shouldn't be a problem, assuming you follow a good plan.  Those numbers are easily enough to start an IM plan.

You should certainly plan to do a few tris between now and then, especially a HIM.  It will help you to avoid some rude realities during IM.  (I say 'help' -- it won't guarantee that you don't experience them anyway...)

For reference, I did couch (and I mean seriously couch) to IM in 15 months.  I had heard people say "IM will always be there", "What's the hurry?", etc..  I understand where those comments are coming from, but at the same time, I do this for fun and nothing else, and IM is what I wanted to do.  For fun.  Was my path the best way to get into tris?  Did it maximize my potential, short-term or long-term?  Did it maximize the chance that I'd stick with the sport?  Probably not.  I didn't (and don't) care.  I do this for fun.

The one caution (in addition to those already mentioned by others) I'd give is that you need to take a hard look at just what training will be required.  And consider the timing.  At just the time that your semester is becoming hellacious, your training will as well.  Are you prepared to do NOTHING but eat, sleep, study, and train for many months?  Do you have enough hours in the day to do the training?  Look at a plan and see what's involved.
2010-06-24 7:30 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I think it's a dumb idea, yes.

2010-06-24 7:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Firestone, CO
I did a HIM for my first. Go for it.

2010-06-24 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2942419

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
KathyG - 2010-06-24 2:59 PM  The last couple new IM races took long time to fill. I don't think St. George ever did fill. Cozumel took awhile as well.

As a bit of an aside:  IMSG did sell out.  I'm not sure there's been a North American IM that didn't...eventually.  Despite the potential for heat, I suspect that IMTX will sell out sooner than SG did:  Flatter terrain, a little later in the year, close to big metro areas with lots of triathletes.

But, as has already been said:  If it sells out and the OP doesn't get it, it isn't going anywhere.
2010-06-24 9:41 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
I did something similiar and did IMSG as my 4th tri and signed up after only doing 2 sprints.  I think its very doable, but the problem is you think your body can handle IM volume but really it takes some time and patience to get there.  Probably a good 2-3 years. 

I posted almost the exact same thing you did a year ago, people told me not to as well, and in the end I went and did it anyway.  It didn't turn out well, but I could have easily prevented that if my ego didn't get in the way and I trained properly. 

Mixing 3 sports together is alot harder on the body.  Injury risk will be greater because you are now 'forced' to do things instead of wanting to them. 

I didn't finish IMSG mainly because my body couldn't handle an unreasonable jump in volume.  I got injured early on and just didn't have enough time or volume to finish the distance.  Ultimately, it can happen to anyone but first year triathletes are more prone to it.

If you're committed, do it, but be patient and take time working into it.  Don't do what I did and do too much too soon.  Work into it, be consistent, practice your OWS.

If you are a flaky person who is inconsistent but gets caught in the moment turn away, if you can commit to a schedule from now to the IM, by all means, sign up.

Do's
- Start training now
- Start at very low volume
- Get a coach if you can afford it
- Practice your OWS
- Build volume very slowly
- Immerse yourself in the sport and this forum
- Join a club

Don'ts
- Wait till the last few weeks to train
- Start out with 20 hour training weeks
- Run 30+ mpw and Cycle 100+ mpw if you don't have the volume because you feel the need to 'get caught up'.
- Set times and goals for the race.  Plan your training and your times from sessions will tell you what you are capable of.

Remember, if you do it, start out training your body to handle a 20 week Ironman program, if you take it as a 46 week plan you will either burn out or get hurt.  Some people have done it it but for every one that has 2 others have failed. 

I'm pretty sure you've already decided, so good luck, and any other questions feel free to ask.

Edited by furiousferret 2010-06-24 9:43 PM
2010-06-24 10:46 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
IrishLadinTexas - 2010-06-24 2:06 PM
Three factors though limit the amount of race experience I have or will be able to get

1) Time (school is full time and unrelenting, holiday time is completely reserved for trips back home to Ireland)
2) Money.  Basically living from hand to mouth at the moment.  Entry fee's for IM are expensive I know but added to that the cost of flights and hotels make it above what I could afford.
3) No car.  Yes I know I'm living in Houston but have been easily managing without car by simply bicycle and sweating everywhere.

All this adds means that unless a race is literally on my doorstep I most likely wouldn't be able to participate.

#1 will make it hard to train for an Ironman. We're all pressed for time though.

#2 is probably your biggest problem. $600 entry fee is actually not the most expensive part of an Ironman. Wetsuits, bicycles, running shoes, etc. You might be able to do it on the cheap, but even without travel expenses and assuming you own a bike you could ride - it's $600 for the entry fee PLUS say $500-$750 in various training expenses.

#3 is not a problem. It means you get lots of "free" bike time.

BTW, you say you "s, b, r daily". Really? Why?
2010-06-25 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2942416

User image

Master
Central Indiana
mgalanter - 2010-06-24 5:59 PM I don't see why you couldn't do the woodlands IM as your first 'official' race.

I would suggest you put on some personal simulated races for yourself. When training for my first olympic distance race I would go to the pool or lake and swim 1.5km, then change and jump on the bike and ride 40km and then drop the bike off at home and go for a 10km run. Its even better if you have a buddy to do it with.  Maybe you could simulate a sprint, then an olympic, then HIM distance for yourself to get a feel for it...

Well said. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Very first Tri an Ironman? Good/Bad Idea Rss Feed  

of 2