Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 110

2011-05-31 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3525750

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Ironman Texas
g_shotts - 2011-05-31 12:52 PM

I'm really struggling to decide what to do for 2012. I had a good IM-TX race this year, and beat my goal time by 35-minutes. Went for a long run here in The Woodlands this weekend and realized just how lucky we were from a weather standpoint. Compared to a week ago, it felt so much hotter and the direct sun was much more intense. I struggled to make an hour at a decent pace.

While I'm planning on doing another IM in 2012, I'm not sure that I really want to do the IM-TX course on a typically sunny, hot & humid day. I've been thinking more and more about heading north next year, but I really hate the idea of not supporting the "local" race. I know it's not going to happen, but if they'd move things forward a month to late April or at least early May, I'd be all over it.

Anyway, just thought I'd put it out there.....I'm starting to look at SG, LP, and Canada; but figure I need to decide something one way or another pretty soon.

I am with you on that and I think that I am going to shoot for Arizona 2012 and then maybe back to Texas for 2013. I want to try another IM. And then compare and see what works for me, nut I really want to do Texas again.

2011-05-31 9:48 PM
in reply to: #3525588

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
fattyfatfat - 2011-05-31 11:31 AMpretty cool blog post here.
Makes me want to be fast enough to be a guide! Great blog! I read the swim/bike one too. Awesome!
2011-06-01 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3524582

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
TriPatrick - 2011-05-30 3:04 PM

did anyone use a wheel set that you feel was a great set up?  I do not have enough experiance to know if taper + low wind was the prime reason of my big gains in comparison to training.  I used a cover on my mavic open pro's, but I am already thinking of what to use next year and I wanted some opinions with the race fresh on everyones mind.  thanks

I use a Hed Jet 6/Jet Disc combo at every race.  Works great.

2011-06-01 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2944040

User image

Veteran
D/FW, TX

PM with your e-mail me if you want the full size copy!

Edited by spuphal 2011-06-01 9:14 AM
2011-06-01 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3525750

Regular
you could also say we got "unlucky" with the weather this year. The AVERAGE HIGH for May 21 is 86. We couldve just as easily had the weather we had the week before, which was a high of 79 and no humidity.

Now, we got overcast skies, but it was 93 in the afternoon, as everyone knows. So, we wer 7 degrees above the norm. What happens if we get 7 degrees below the norm, which is equally likely?

Who knows? I wouldn't count on it ever being cold, but you never know with the weather.

Just about every race has a chance to be hot. There isnt an ironman in North America that doesn't have that potential. I'm up at Mooseman in NH this weekend, and it was 92 yesterday. Tomorrow it's going to be 61!!!!!!!!!

The reality is, none of us control what Mother Nature is gonna bring us. Just gotta enjoy whatcha get!!!!!!
2011-06-01 3:58 PM

I still don't *get* Texas (Hey I'm a Prius driving Californian!) but I can now say ya'll are a great, friendly and fun bunch of people.  I've never been at a race with volunteers as good as they were and spectators going nuts everywhere. Wish I got to meet some of the faces from the thread even though I'm a lurker. I misjudged how long (and boring) it would take me to get there... driving i10 was almost as hard as the IM... glad I took i40 on the way back. Whew.

And major thanks to you who suggested Rudy's - I brought back a big bottle of their BBQ sauce and am going to order more online... and overnight me some brisket.

2011-06-01 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3527929

New user
Houston, TX
KEJ - 2011-06-01 2:59 PM

you could also say we got "unlucky" with the weather this year. The AVERAGE HIGH for May 21 is 86. We couldve just as easily had the weather we had the week before, which was a high of 79 and no humidity.

Now, we got overcast skies, but it was 93 in the afternoon, as everyone knows. So, we wer 7 degrees above the norm. What happens if we get 7 degrees below the norm, which is equally likely?

Who knows? I wouldn't count on it ever being cold, but you never know with the weather.

Just about every race has a chance to be hot. There isnt an ironman in North America that doesn't have that potential. I'm up at Mooseman in NH this weekend, and it was 92 yesterday. Tomorrow it's going to be 61!!!!!!!!!

The reality is, none of us control what Mother Nature is gonna bring us. Just gotta enjoy whatcha get!!!!!!

I definitely reminded myself of this when I went from "no IM in 2012" to "hmmm, IMTX sounds fun again!" I had known the weather history for a while and agree that race day was closer to the average weather data than most other days have been this spring - so while we got "lucky" for this spring, we were at normal or a bit worse than normal in the grand scheme of things. Now, just hoping next year compensates the other way - we wouldn't want to disturb average too much :-)
2011-06-01 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3526666

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

jah2212 - 2011-05-31 7:48 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-05-31 11:31 AMpretty cool blog post here.
Makes me want to be fast enough to be a guide! Great blog! I read the swim/bike one too. Awesome!

I hit a rough spot at the start of lap 3 of the run. I was overheating, felt like puking, had to walk to bring the HR down. Then it became a total mental game. I just couldn't convince my legs to start running again. I ended up walking close to a mile.

Coming over the bridge towards North Shore Park, Patricia and Sonja came trotting by me. That was all the motivation I needed. I stayed on their trail for a couple miles and got to witness them weaving in and out of traffic, "blicking" tons of people along the way. They were really inspirational - it was just what I needed to get me through "the wall".

Congrats to both Patricia and Sonja!

2011-06-04 2:26 PM

User image

Tyler, Tx

Couldn't help myself.  Being from Texas I felt it was the best combo to represent who I am!

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2477312300088813167yNhXYZ

2011-06-04 4:16 PM
in reply to: #3532434

New user

The Woodlands
TxMatt - 2011-06-04 2:26 PM

Couldn't help myself.  Being from Texas I felt it was the best combo to represent who I am!

Cool!
2011-06-05 1:08 PM

User image

New user

The Woodlands, Texas
TxMatt - 2011-06-04 3:26 PM

That is awesome! Congrats!

2011-06-06 7:54 PM

User image

Regular
Cypress, TX
TxMatt - 2011-06-04 2:26 PM

Damn!  I like that.  That's cool.  If I would have seen your post sooner.  I would have printed it and took it to get my M-dot. ;-)

By the way it looks really good, pigment colors look sharp.  Did you use neosporin?

2011-06-07 8:02 AM

User image

Tyler, Tx
Just using the Rensow Vitamins "A" and "D" Ointment that the artists gave me to use until tomorrow, then basic skin lotion.  I am really pleased with the artists work and how the color came out!
2011-06-07 11:06 AM

New user

New Orleans
i ordered actual prints from FINISHERPIX the monday directly after the race and have not received them in the 2 weeks since.  Has anyone else ordered pictures and received them?  They have not been responsive to emails, and I figured they would be here by now.
2011-06-07 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX
How is everyone's recovery?

I feel good, but still no 'pep'...no speed, certainly not as strong as the month before IM. This being my first IM, I have no idea how I personally will fully recover -- but wondering how is everyone else doing?

2011-06-07 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3537119

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

jenn1212 - 2011-06-07 11:56 AM How is everyone's recovery? I feel good, but still no 'pep'...no speed, certainly not as strong as the month before IM. This being my first IM, I have no idea how I personally will fully recover -- but wondering how is everyone else doing?

I still have 2 toes that are numb and some mild soreness in my knee, but it feels good to be moving again. this morning was the first real 'run' and despite the rust, it felt good!

2011-06-07 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3537119

User image

Champion
marietta

jenn1212 - 2011-06-07 12:56 PM How is everyone's recovery? I feel good, but still no 'pep'...no speed, certainly not as strong as the month before IM. This being my first IM, I have no idea how I personally will fully recover -- but wondering how is everyone else doing?

i ran a 10k pr on saturday (a little foggy from the night before too!).  got an olympic this weekend.  however, unlike many of you, i really didn't have much to recover from other than some ant bites.  ha. 

2011-06-07 12:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I'm tired of looking in the mirror and watching my body slowly morph back into pre-ironman blob shape. I want this "best shape of my life" phase to last a little longer...so back to training for me now!
2011-06-07 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3536978

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

rdejon1 - 2011-06-07 11:06 AM i ordered actual prints from FINISHERPIX the monday directly after the race and have not received them in the 2 weeks since.  Has anyone else ordered pictures and received them?  They have not been responsive to emails, and I figured they would be here by now.

Have you checked your spam folder? 

2011-06-07 1:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver area

The only thing that really was bothering me were some pulled tendons on the top of my feet and some blisters.  I *think* I'm past those issues - will see for sure during my run on Thurs.

I'm trying to figure out my race schedule for the rest of the year.... and feeling blah about it.  If I were still living in Houston I'd be signing up for my favorite races, but since I'm newly moved, I don't know which races would be fun.  I did sign up for the Denver Rock n Roll Marathon (early October) - they had a special price of $89 on June 1 for Nat'l Running Day.  Figured I can always downgrade later.

2011-06-08 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3537314

Veteran
mountain_erin - 2011-06-07 12:17 PM

The only thing that really was bothering me were some pulled tendons on the top of my feet and some blisters.  I *think* I'm past those issues - will see for sure during my run on Thurs.

I'm trying to figure out my race schedule for the rest of the year.... and feeling blah about it.  If I were still living in Houston I'd be signing up for my favorite races, but since I'm newly moved, I don't know which races would be fun.  I did sign up for the Denver Rock n Roll Marathon (early October) - they had a special price of $89 on June 1 for Nat'l Running Day.  Figured I can always downgrade later.

If you're in the Denver area, there are a ton of fun events around here!  Triathlons: check out the Boulder Peak oly (if it's not full), Lookout Mtn sprint, Harvest Moon half iron, Rattlesnake oly, Irongirl sprint, Xterra Lory (again, might be full), SheRox sprint.

Cycling:  Triple Bypass, Copper Triangle

Running: Georgetown half mary, Boulder Backroads half mary, Imogene Pass (down near Telluride), Aetna Park to Park 10 miler or a relay like Colorado Relay - super fun!

Aquathon: Boulder Stroke & Stride series

No lack of fun events here!

2011-06-08 4:33 PM
in reply to: #3537314

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
mountain_erin - 2011-06-07 1:17 PM

I've got a lingering black toenail and a bad attitude. I've been riding my trail bike but not ready to look at my tri bike again just yet. Will try a run on Saturday, that should be interesting.

Erin - I signed up for the RnR Denver too! Same as you, I signed up for the full cuz it was so cheap and figured I'll downgrade later if necessary when I really decide what best fits my schedule. I have a few RnR events on the horizon for the fall, I got a great deal on San Antonio - $65 for the full!
2011-06-08 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3538884

User image

Veteran
Denver area
ersmith29 - 2011-06-08 10:30 AM

If you're in the Denver area, there are a ton of fun events around here!  Triathlons: check out the Boulder Peak oly (if it's not full), Lookout Mtn sprint, Harvest Moon half iron, Rattlesnake oly, Irongirl sprint, Xterra Lory (again, might be full), SheRox sprint.

Cycling:  Triple Bypass, Copper Triangle

Running: Georgetown half mary, Boulder Backroads half mary, Imogene Pass (down near Telluride), Aetna Park to Park 10 miler or a relay like Colorado Relay - super fun!

Aquathon: Boulder Stroke & Stride series

No lack of fun events here!

Thanks ersmith - I'm planning on the Rattlesnake Oly, still not too sure about what to do with July.

erin116 - 2011-06-08 4:33 PM [ I've got a lingering black toenail and a bad attitude. I've been riding my trail bike but not ready to look at my tri bike again just yet. Will try a run on Saturday, that should be interesting. Erin - I signed up for the RnR Denver too! Same as you, I signed up for the full cuz it was so cheap and figured I'll downgrade later if necessary when I really decide what best fits my schedule. I have a few RnR events on the horizon for the fall, I got a great deal on San Antonio - $65 for the full!

VERY COOL Erin!!!  If you need a buddy or a place to stay, feel free to bug me!  I'm not close to downtown, but I am fairly close to a light rail station.  I'm just hoping the weather will be nice and it won't snow!  Hopefully all my snow-training-for-IMTX-karma-points will be cashed in for good marathon weather in October.

I rode my tri bike (trainer) for the first time since IMTX.  I'm very unhappy because TriBike transport, in addition to breaking part of the piece that holds my aeropad, they also broke my front shifter.  Response back from them on my aeropad was less than stellar.  First they said they'd fix it at the expo when I dropped it off after the race.  I picked it up in Denver and found out that they didn't fix it.  Called them and left a message... nothing.  Then emailed them and had to wait 3 days for a response, only for them to say "someone is taking care of it".  Then a day later (yesterday, I think), I got a call from the bike store that I dropped it off at - they recieved the replacement part but the only instructions were "bike is already at the store".  Poor guy looked everywhere but couldn't find my bike - DUH, I picked it up 2 weeks ago!  So I have to drive all they way over there (not close to my house) to get that repaired... Guess I have to do the same for my front shifter.  If I don't hear back from TriBike by COB tomorrow on the shifter, I'm going to start pinging their facebook wall.  THAT should get their attention.  UGH.

2011-06-10 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3539672

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
mountain_erin - 2011-06-08 4:50 PM

VERY COOL Erin!!!  If you need a buddy or a place to stay, feel free to bug me!  I'm not close to downtown, but I am fairly close to a light rail station.  I'm just hoping the weather will be nice and it won't snow!  Hopefully all my snow-training-for-IMTX-karma-points will be cashed in for good marathon weather in October.

I rode my tri bike (trainer) for the first time since IMTX.  I'm very unhappy because TriBike transport, in addition to breaking part of the piece that holds my aeropad, they also broke my front shifter.  Response back from them on my aeropad was less than stellar.  First they said they'd fix it at the expo when I dropped it off after the race.  I picked it up in Denver and found out that they didn't fix it.  Called them and left a message... nothing.  Then emailed them and had to wait 3 days for a response, only for them to say "someone is taking care of it".  Then a day later (yesterday, I think), I got a call from the bike store that I dropped it off at - they recieved the replacement part but the only instructions were "bike is already at the store".  Poor guy looked everywhere but couldn't find my bike - DUH, I picked it up 2 weeks ago!  So I have to drive all they way over there (not close to my house) to get that repaired... Guess I have to do the same for my front shifter.  If I don't hear back from TriBike by COB tomorrow on the shifter, I'm going to start pinging their facebook wall.  THAT should get their attention.  UGH.

Awwww, thanks! I have family in town so I'm visiting them while there but hopefully we can meet up! You have me scared now about snow, but in a way secretly hoping for it because it would make the race a great adventure for me

Such a bummer about the bike, I'd be seriously peeved. Good idea outing them on facebook. I hope you get it fixed quickly!
2011-06-15 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3537233

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
fattyfatfat - 2011-06-07 12:37 PM

jenn1212 - 2011-06-07 12:56 PM How is everyone's recovery? I feel good, but still no 'pep'...no speed, certainly not as strong as the month before IM. This being my first IM, I have no idea how I personally will fully recover -- but wondering how is everyone else doing?

i ran a 10k pr on saturday (a little foggy from the night before too!).  got an olympic this weekend.  however, unlike many of you, i really didn't have much to recover from other than some ant bites.  ha. 

well I sign on for the IMNYC and will pass on IMTX next year - great place The Woodland - maybe in '13

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Texas Rss Feed  

of 110