General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Lake Placid compared to IM Canada Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-27 1:27 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: IM Lake Placid compared to IM Canada
I'm racing IMLP for the first time on July 25th, and I'm curious how the bike and run compare to IM Canada which I've done twice.

I'd appreciate any insights or comments, especially from people who've raced both. Thanks.

2010-06-27 6:08 AM
in reply to: #2946086

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: IM Lake Placid compared to IM Canada
I've done each once. I like both courses a lot.

My take may be much different than yours as I suspect your abilities are different than mine.

I think Canada is easier on both the bike and run.

Bike at Canada climbs are longer but grade is more constant plus there is a lot of flat great section before the first climb at Richter other than that first little bit of McClean Creek plus in the middle of the course after the 7 sisters. Lake Placid the grade of the hill changes more especially the climb back into town more so than climb out of town and is only one flat area after Keene Descent.

Run at Canada is mostly flat other few small rollers and then the more challenging hills near the turn around. LP you start with a downhill which you have to do near the end of both loops.

Both run and bike on LP it is the placement of the hills that makes it harder. The two hardest hills on the run are probably last 4 miles of each loop with the toughest one ~1.5 miles from end of each loop. On the bike, the climb back into town isn't tough but long with the hills named after Big Cherry, Little Cherry, Mamma Bear, Papa bear, you have some but little momentum to help you over. The 7 sisters at Canada you have the momentum from previous hill to help you over the next one.

Canada you get a great little recovery after you get up Yellow Lake before you go out on the run where Placid last 12 miles you are climbing then have about 1.5-2 miles of more flat before you get off your bike.

Canada there is less humidity so hot can feel cooler than same temps in Lake Placid.

Depending when you get there, I would encourage you to ride the Keene descent before the race. Often folks have someone drive out and pick them up after the descent.

There is some good information here.

• Lake Placid: 26k Climb (x2) @ 1.1% net grade w/2k @ 4.5% and max grade of 8% // 3.7% of the course is at >4%
  • Canada: 12k Climb @ 2.8% net w/2.5k @ 5.8% and max grade of 8.8% + 23k Climb @ 1.5% // 4.5% of the course is at >4%
2010-06-27 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2946129

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Guessing from the threads I've seen, you're a stronger cyclist than I am and I'm probably a stronger runner. And you're a lot more consistent that me. :-) So we probably will approach the courses differently.

Your description of LP's courses sound a lot like the Seattle eastside: lots of grade changes and not much of the way of long steady climbs or even flat stretch. Nothing on the Eastside is flat for long. I'm encouraged that my bike training here will be applicable. Looking at the elevation map, I can go 20 miles east from my house over to the Cascades and pretty well simulate that last 12 mile climb into town.

The "Know Your Enemy" series is fascinating - I'll have to study that.

Looking at the Keene descent on the elevation map - I assume that's the big one - hmm. I'm not a fan of high speed twisting turning descents with everyone flying by at insane speeds on their aerobars at 45 to 50 as I drag my brakes to stay ~40mph sitting up on the horns. On the other hand, I love a steady 35 mph descent with gradual turns. Thanks for pointing it out - a test descent is now in my plans to determine how I'll approach it on race day.
2010-06-27 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2946334

User image

Champion
MA
brucemorgan - 2010-06-27 12:15 PM Guessing from the threads I've seen, you're a stronger cyclist than I am and I'm probably a stronger runner. And you're a lot more consistent that me. :-) So we probably will approach the courses differently.

Well..no I think you are faster and stronger....I do try and train consistently.

Your description of LP's courses sound a lot like the Seattle eastside: lots of grade changes and not much of the way of long steady climbs or even flat stretch. Nothing on the Eastside is flat for long. I'm encouraged that my bike training here will be applicable. Looking at the elevation map, I can go 20 miles east from my house over to the Cascades and pretty well simulate that last 12 mile climb into town. The "Know Your Enemy" series is fascinating - I'll have to study that. Looking at the Keene descent on
 the elevation map - I assume that's the big one - hmm. I'm not a fan of high speed twisting turning descents with everyone flying by at insane speeds on their aerobars at 45 to 50 as I drag my brakes to stay ~40mph sitting up on the horns. On the other hand, I love a steady 35 mph descent with gradual turns. Thanks for pointing it out - a test descent is now in my plans to determine how I'll approach it on race day.

I hit 52 descending on Keene and can ride most of it on aerobars. You will be with more folks on 1st time down as I'm a slow swimmer. I did it in the rain of '08 so that changed things..my eyes kept shutting with rain so that is when I decided needed to use my brakes.  Road is mostly good, there are a couple places you go from sun to shade which can make it hard to see well and there can be wind off the water at the one spot I recall. Riding it on race day is easier as one lane is closed compared to pre riding it.

I wouldn't say it is twisting turning descent. You may want to ask more questions on the IMLP thread which is very very active.

In general not to many of us on BT have done both courses that I know of. 'Yaqui', Scott on my friend's list has done both and is stronger cyclist than I am and faster so he may have more insight that could be similar to your experience.

Have fun!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Lake Placid compared to IM Canada Rss Feed