General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Electrolyte Replacement Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-10 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Subject: Electrolyte Replacement
I typically drink just water. I had a freind (older man) die this past week while on a bike ride. The doctor told his wife that his electrolytes were so depleted that his body shut down. Now my mother and wife are worried about me (I sweat pretty good while working out). I am wondering what everybody else uses?

2005-07-10 9:36 AM
in reply to: #194069

User image

Veteran
Gif-sur-Yvette
Subject: RE: Electrolyte Replacement

Isostar, Gatorade, any good sports drink should do it. On shall only drink to compensate the loss. I generally need around 0.5 liters every half hour, but if the weather is hot and humid I may need almost twice as much. I generally take some Isostar or Inkospor Endurance before the workout, and then take a good gulp every ten minutes or so. At such rate I drink around 1L per hour.

For prolonged effort over 2 hours, and therefore more liquids, I may add a salt tablet for good measure.

2005-07-10 10:16 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Rides up to an hour, usually just water, no gels or anything.  Running, which is harder for me, I start taking some sort of electrolyte replacement for anything over 1/2 hour.

Rides longer than that - I usually take an Endurolyte before and then some mixture of sports drink/gels/solid food.  I might also take more Endurolytes during the ride.  I have found that for me it is really important to replace the electrolytes I'm losing in fairly heavy doses.  But then again, after exercise, you could mistake me for a human salt lick.  My skin is saltier after working out than it is after jumping into the ocean.  Before I figured this out I used to get stomach cramps, and also sometimes I would feel dizzy and chilled (even if the day was really hot and humid) and I would have problems with getting enough liquid. Now I don't have any issues. 

Right now I use Crank Sports e-gel, and e-fuel which have a lot of electrolyte replacement in them, and which are working really well for me.  It might be too much for you though, it really depends on not only how much you sweat, but how much salt you're losing.  You might find that you crave really salty foods after working out, that is usually a sign that your body is trying to replace the salt you lost.  I usually want to eat dill pickles after a long ride, and I can taste the salt in other products where I usually can't.

What sports drink/gel combo will work best for you is a really individual thing, try a few products out and see what tastes the best/gives you the best energy.  Gatorade is a good place to start, it works for a lot of people.

2005-07-10 11:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Camarillo, California
e*gels, they have a ton of electrolytes in them.I think almost 5 times as much as the other gels. they also have e*fuel and youmix that into your water, you can buy them at www.cranksports.com
2005-07-10 12:18 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
endurolytes
2005-07-10 12:20 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
i like electro-mix (available at most health food/natural food stores), but i want to try clif's new electrolyte and recovery drinks.

2005-07-10 12:38 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
I swear by Succeed Ultra sports drink mix. It isn't sticky sweet and the carbs are gentler on the stomach so I never get cramps. I use it half strength in cooler weather or for shorter sessions. When it's really hot, or for going more than an hour, I add their buffer electrolyte caps. 1 per 30-60 minutes, depending on my sweating rate. For events longer than 4-6 hours, I use their CLIP drink mix, which adds amino acids and proteins (and some other stuff). For big races, I like to use the pre and post recovery packs (packets of various vitamins, minerals, etc.). The company was started by an ultramarathon runner, and that community is where I found out about it.  You can find them online at www.ultrafit-endurance.com.

I know I sound like a commercial for these guys - but the stuff really works, and after trying a ton of drinks and gels and having lots of unpleasant digestive stuff happen, I'm sticking with them!

In any case, you are RIGHT ON to think about adding electrolytes when you are going long or sweating a lot. I've seen a lot of people think they were hydrating well by drinking lots of water, when in fact if the electrolyte balance is off, you're just in for some serious side effects, or death, the more you water down your blood.

Good luck!

Annabanana
2005-07-10 2:23 PM

User image

Regular
Singapore during school, England during holidays
if you go to local pharmacy or anywhere of the sort, you can actually get some very good packets of electrolytes that paramedics use for instant hydration.
went to thailand for a rugby tournament and ended up being really sick, took electrolyte packet from teh paramedics in teh morning and it was amazing what they did
2005-07-10 2:30 PM
in reply to: #194179

User image

Elite
Texas

lucy black - 2005-07-10 2:23 PM if you go to local pharmacy or anywhere of the sort, you can actually get some very good packets of electrolytes that paramedics use for instant hydration. went to thailand for a rugby tournament and ended up being really sick, took electrolyte packet from teh paramedics in teh morning and it was amazing what they did

That sounds like they gave you "Oral Rehydration Salts". Did it say "World Health Organization" on the packet? They're used for treating cholera patients and the like in developing countries. They taste terrible, unless you are profoundly dehydrated. They are very effective, however. 

2005-07-10 2:53 PM

User image

Regular
Singapore during school, England during holidays
nah, didnt say WHO on it, said electrolyte replacement salts. have to say didnt taste as great as gatorade or anything but worked like a charm
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Electrolyte Replacement Rss Feed