General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Intro - question Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-13 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Intro - question
Greetings. I have been using this site for some training tips, and thought I would join in the discussion. I am a 35 year old first time triathlete, intending to do my first sprit tri in June. I have been running regularly for about 10 months, and am now doing between 18 and 25 miles per week. Before that I had neglected my physical health for some time, but have since dropped 35 lbs and gotten into "healthy" BMI range.

I got the triathlon bug about a month ago when a friend informed me she was competing in a half IM. After some consideration and research it seemed like a great way to keep my interest in physical fitness. I have set myself up on a training schedule that includes three days of running, one day in the pool and two days on the bike. While I would like to do more, particularly in the pool, my work and home schedule simply does not allow it. (When the weather improves where I live, I should be able to get in more water time in my pool.) My training focus, other than in running where I feel fairly confident, has been on slowly increasing my distances. Speed, particularly in the water has not been much of a consideration. I have gotten my swim distance up to 200 uninterrupted yards, and my riding up to 10 miles at what I consider a steady pace.

Recently I have had some interruptions in my training schedule due to an attack of the flu, as well as work related travel. Although in actuality relatively short (6 days), the stoppage feels like a lifetime. I feel as if I am starting over again in events in which I have less experience.

I have two questions:

1. Will my current training regimen adequately prepare me to finish a sprint triathlon in June?

2. What are the ultimate effects of unplanned breaks in training?

Thanks for your insights.

Bill

2004-04-13 4:46 PM
in reply to: #18229

Expert
Princeton, MN
Subject: RE: Intro - question
Welcome aboard Bill;
From what you have said you seem to have a pretty good base in place. You should be able to bring that swimming up (especially if you have your own pool) Good luck!

Ian
2004-04-13 6:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

I am noooo expert here at all having never completed a tri...yet.  However to answer you questions I do have some experience having/going through similar things.

1) short answer with the information given. Yes I think you will be prepared.  Check out the sprint programs on the main page to see where you are, they are designed to have you finish the race.  You have a good run base which for many is  a tough one.  How far is the swim?  Usually they are anywhere from 300m to 1/2 mile for sprints.  You have plenty of time to get to that distance in June. 

2) I have also experienced layoffs do to work/travel and the flu.  I was worried about losing fitness, starting over, ect....and other than the mental aspect of feeling like I am doing nothing, when I got back at this week I am feeling fine.  I just got over the flu from last week.  I look at it as rest days,  whether it is work related or family related.  Try to remember why you are doing this, to be competitive?  Maybe it is more of a problem.  For fitness, enjoyment, finishing a race ect.....then it isn't a problem at all. 

Most important to most of us is to have fun, set goals and enjoy the experience.

2004-04-13 8:38 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
I don't have the slightest idea as to the answer to your question, but I wanted to say "welcome", anyway! You'll get lots of good advice from people who've already completed triathlons, so listen to THEM, not me

Andrea
2004-04-13 8:49 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

Welcome to the site!  I'm not going to attempt to answer the first question, as I've got my own swimming issues right now.  Typically, a break of a week or so can be beneficial.  If you can feel when your starting to get overtrained (fatigue, soreness, etc.), to step away for a week and then get back into it works wonders.  Lots of athletes take a week off after some big event/race to recover, plan out their next training, and generally build up the mental state, to tackle another training regimen.

Good luck!

2004-04-13 9:52 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX

Welcome, Bill.

Here's my 2 cents - first on unplanned interruptions - don't worry about them too much.  Think of them as rest days and workout when you can.  Generally, you won't start to lose fitness for a couple of weeks or so, and it should come back relatively quickly.  For me, the first week after the flu, like I had about 3 weeks ago, is brutal.  But you do get back to where you were if you stay committed to your training.

Second on will your training plan get you there?  Not sure.  Swim distance may impact you some, but the swim is usually the shortest part of the race.  Even if you aren't fast and have to breaststroke or sidestroke, you can generally get your distance in.  On the bike and run, I would recommend trying to get one long work out per week in for both.  Ride and run longer distances than your race distance.  Work in some bricks, just to show yourself that you can go out and exercise for a longer period than your longest leg of the tri will be.  Check out the training plans on the BT website - I think you'll see what I mean.

Welcome to the site - you'll do great.

TB

2004-04-13 11:48 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome Bill!
2004-04-14 8:45 AM
in reply to: #18257

User image

Master
Thanks for the input - To answer one of the questions, the swim distance is 1/2 a mile. As with many begining triathletes, the swim is my largest concern. I recently picked up an informal swim lesson from a local coach, and have been practicing form over speed. (I had a tendency to over-kick, which was exhausting me fairly quickly) Although I have always considered myself a strong swimmer, I was amazed to find out how much actually goes into efficient swimming. That being said, my focus on form seems to be paying off already.

I guess my largest conecrn at this point is "putting it all together." I don't doubt that I could finish any one event of a sprint tri, albeit slowly and breast stroking, but have major concerns about stringing them all together. I intend to work on that through some bricks next month. Hopefully my work will pay off at that point.

One more question - I think I may need a wetsuit given the June 19 date of the tri, my northeast location and the fact that it is in a lake. I would rather not shell out the money on a new wetsuit. Can anyone recommend a good site to get used tri-gear?

Thanks again for the advice.

Bill
2004-04-14 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

Check with your local tri-sports places (Fleet Feet being an example).  They might have some used suits, or can rent you one.  Other than that, think warm thoughts?

2004-04-14 2:30 PM

User image

New user

Boston, MA
Hey Bill

I agree with everyones comments about the time of not being an issue. My suggestions would be to ease your way back into it though. Dont come back your first day after the flu and expect to be able to perform exactly the way you did before the time off. Run a little slower and less distance just to get the feeling back. You dont want to push yourself too hard those first couple of days. After a day or two, week at most you'll be back in business.

As far as the swimming is concerned? It all about conservation of energy. Work on your form. Try to get a long reach and develop a good breathing patern. Keep these things in mind....1. long reach 2.breath to the side and dont turn your head to far (it wastes energy) 3. keep a relaxed even stroke 4. kick 5. practice practice practice. when you are at the pool, ask somebody who looks like they have good form for some tips. Just make sure they arent in the middle of their set

You'll do fine!!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Intro - question Rss Feed