Canadian Triathlon Forum Nova Scotia » Bike Routes?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-29 4:07 PM

New user

Calgary
Subject: Bike Routes??
I'm originally from Nova Scotia (Cole Harbour) and currently live in Calgary.  Started doing tri's last year and doing my first Olympics this year.  I will be in Nova Scotia splitting my time between Cole Harbour and Black Point in Pictou County.  I wanted to find out some good bike routes..... preferably some with some hills to train on while I am there.  I'm in town for 3 weeks and can't slack on my training as I'm scheduled to do the Banff Olympic in September.  In Calgary there are lots of secondary highways less travelled with wide shoulders..... any in N.S?  Help!

2010-06-29 10:22 PM
in reply to: #2951500

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Bike Routes??
I would make my own routes using  MapMyRide
 and set it to the 'terrain' option. You can find good hills to the SE of Pictou by Dalhousie Mtn, south to McLellans Mtn, or east out by Avondale. The downside is that most of the roads in these areas will go up one side of the mountain and end, so they are out and back climbs. I'm afraid I don't know Dartmouth and the Eastern shore too well. In my neck of the woods the Sambro Loop taking in Purcells Cove Road is a great ride of around 50k, and the Purcells part is very hilly. I hope this helps a bit, but do try the link above- it is great!  

There aren't a lot of roads with shoulders here (most of the taxpayers having moved to AlbertaTongue out)

but I don't find it to be a problem here on the lesser traveled roads. I don't like biking in the city too much but the rural routes are fine IMO.

Edited by blairrob 2010-06-29 10:28 PM
2010-06-30 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2952203

New user

Calgary
Thanks for the info!

I was actually on Map My Ride just before I read your note! It's awesome.  I've mapped out some routes and I think I will just go drive them in the car first to make sure I don't wind up on an carppy roads...... I havent biked a whole lot on highways and just remember most being twisty and narrow.  I might venture out to Purcells Cove when I'm in Cole Harbour. 
2010-07-11 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2951500

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Sorry I didn't see this post earlier but hope this helps:

Waverly Road is commonly used for cycling - the road is in pretty good shape to Enfield and drivers expect to see cyclists so it is pretty good for riding.  It is fairly flat but the wind usually gets you one way or another.

Sambro Loop - leaving from the Armdale Rotary and go out Herring Cove Road to Old Sambro Road and back to the Rotary - usually some wind and there are some rolling hills.

Cow Bay Loop - when I lived in Cole Harbour I used this many times - out Bissett Road, around Cow Bay and then either home on Cadwell Road or head out to Hartlen Point and then loop back around Cow Bay to Bissett.  Some decent rollers and usually lots of wind.

Lawrencetown - leave Cole Harbour to Lawrence Town and ride to Porters Lake (or Musquodoboit Harbour or Sheet Harbour).  Rolling with wind.

Spider Lake Hill - I just started doing repeats on this - off Waverly Road ride to the top of the new subdivision; not a very steep climb but steady incline for about 4-6 minutes of climbing.

Silverside Hill - repeats of this as well - off Waverly Road and ride up and over Silverside hill - about 3 minutes of climbing; steeper than Spider Lake

Grand Slam - I need to put this into Mapmyride sometime; haven't seen it there but it has four decent climbs.  Starts in Fall River and ends on Rocky Lake Drive.

Shane
2010-07-18 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2973448

New user

Calgary
Thanks!  I just finished my first Olympic..... first race with my bike computer.  Apparently when I got my tire changed out this week they bumped the sensor cause it didn't work!  Rookie mistake I guess not to check that before the race.  So whether it was that or me.... I think the bike is where I can improve the most.  
2013-11-05 8:49 AM
in reply to: connellk

User image

Old tread but might as well add one of my favorite. Aspotogan loop starting in Hubbards is awesome and you can go clockwise or counter-clockwise for variety.

Cheers

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Nova Scotia » Bike Routes?? Rss Feed