General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
Koz Enterprises
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 44s
Overall Rank = 57/232
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Snickers marathon energy bar and coffee for breakfast. Arrived at the transition at about 6:30, which in hindsight was about a half hour later than optimal. Set up my transition area, pulled on the lower half of my wetsuit, and made my way over to the beach.

A couple lessons learned during transition set-up:
-Get there earlier. In my rush I forgot to put body glide on my ankles and wrists which made getting my suit off a little trickier than it should have been. Sunscreen was neglected as well, much to the dismay of my Norwegian complexion. I also forgot to put anti-fog on my goggles (which thankfully turned out to be a non-factor).
-Tour the whole transition area. There were a couple thousand racers there (mostly for the international course) and knowing EXACTLY where the run-out area was would have saved me a little anxiety. Again, this turned out to be a non-factor in the end.
Event warmup:

Brisk walk from my car to transition (about a half mile or so), stretching on the beach, and an easy swim out to the start line. The big thing was the stretching because my back had been giving me grief most of the week.
Swim
  • 10m 2s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

Considering my horrible consistency at actually going to the pool the last few months, I have nothing to complain about. I was out of the water in under 10 minutes, which was very nice to see.

My first couple hundred meters were good and I felt nice and steady. Sighting was OK at first but once the wave broke up it got a bit sketchier. It's definitely tough to train for open water sighting in a pool. I'm pretty sure that I was all over the place coming in to the last buoy/exit but again, I can't complain. Considering this was my first ever open water swim I'm very happy with how things went.

One bit of strategy I picked up from watching the earlier waves was to walk the last few meters of the water rather than splash around and drag my feet through the knee high water. I think this saved a lot of strain on my back and helped me catch my breath before trotting up to transition. As my swim fitness improves I may push harder coming out of the water in the future, but for today it worked like a charm.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. Also, I'd like to do more OWS but it's tough to fit in with my schedule.
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

I was very purposeful to really take my time in transition today. I wanted to make sure I was deliberate with all the steps and So I wouldn't forget anything or slip up. My wetsuit caught a bit on my ankles, especially my left where the timing chip was (hmm... that Body Glide sure would have been nice). My helmet felt really tight getting it on too, so I had to monkey with that for a second. The shoes went on really smooth though (I don't have clipless pedals yet so I just wore my runners) and I got a nice running start on the bike. Overall, it went about as well as I'd hoped.

Practice more. I know that with time and experience, speed will follow.
Bike
  • 40m 1s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm VERY pleased with how the bike went today. Again, it's been difficult to ride as much as I'd like with my schedule lately. Still, I successfully completed my running mount, got into my toe cages smoothly, and went up and over the little overpass at the beginning nice and smooth.

I was very conscious to take it easy at the start and settle into a rhythm leading into the long uphill. I didn't hammer the hill by any means but I was steady going up and felt pretty strong. I think I handled the rollers up on Cabrillo Drive pretty well and I FLEW down the big hill on the way back, hitting 40 mph for the first time ever. The flats on the way back went well and I downshifted the last quarter mile to get my cadence up and shake out my legs a bit. The dismount was pretty crowded so I couldn't do a flying dismount, but I got off nicely and make my way into T2 at a trot.

Just train more. Honestly, I am very surprised at how well I felt on the bike today and had a great time. I wish all my rides were like that!
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

I kept with the theme of being deliberate with transitions in T2 and did my little mental checklist to make sure everything went right. Put the bike in the right spot on the bar, check. Helmet off, check. Turn belt around, check. Rinse out the last of the salt water from my mouth, check. Grab a Gu and slurp it down on the way out, check.

I know I could have gone faster but I'm happy with how both transitions went today.

Again, just practice a bit more. I'd done a couple bricks, so I knew the motions. It's just a matter of applying it to race day.
Run
  • 28m 36s
  • 3.73 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

The blood vessels in my legs felt like they were pumping liquid lead for the first mile or so. I started off nice and easy to shake them out a bit and once I hit my stride I felt like I did a good job of staying steady. Considering how my legs felt it was very difficult to get a gauge on what my pace was but by the half way point or so I could tell that I was going at a decent clip.

About a mile and a half from the finish line I got a funny surprise as Michellie Jones was running BACK along the course to the starting area, presumably to get her stuff from transition. Must be nice when a race isn't enough of a workout for you in one morning!

I had a nice kick for the last 100 meters and finished very strong. My back was starting to get a little tight towards the end of the race but I got through it just fine and felt very good at the finish.

Not much. My running was the one discipline that I felt like I came CLOSE to training enough for and I'm happy with how I did. I know I've got more speed in my legs and it'll be fun to find it in future races.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the finishing chute, got my chip off, and stayed on my feet for about 45 minutes to make sure I didn't cramp up. I grabbed some bananas, a bagel, an FRS drink, and a couple bottles of water. After cooling down I stretched out for about 10 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of consistent training. Conditions today were PERFECT, and I loved the course. Can't wait to get some more races under my belt! Next year I would love to do the International course.

Event comments:

KOZ Enterprises did a fantastic job putting on this race. The expo was very good for the size of the race and the post race events were good as well. The volunteers were both plentiful and very helpful. It was a great first race experience!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:02 | 500 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 0/232
Performance: Average
Suit: XTerra Vortex 3 Full
Course: Rectangular, in sheltered water between Harbor Island and Spanish Landing Park.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:01 | 12.43 miles | 18.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/9
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Flat for the first mile, steadily uphill for the next 2, and then rollers out to the turnaround. One of the more challenging Sprint courses around here from what I have heard but it was a lot of fun.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:36 | 03.73 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/9
Performance: Good
Course: FLAT course through Spanish Landing Park, through the airport rental car area, onto the Harbor Drive sidewalk, and into Seaport Village. The run course was not closed to pedestrians so I had to dodge a few Sunday joggers and walkers.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-29 4:23 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course

2010-06-29 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2951543

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course
Great job Tom!!
2010-06-29 8:11 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Congrats TRIATHLETE!! Heck of first race!
2010-06-30 6:43 AM

User image

MotoQueen
Awesome race dude! 
2010-06-30 6:49 AM

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd
WOOHOO!!! Nice job Tom!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2010-06-30 12:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Congrats on your first tri!  It looks like you had a fantastic race.  This is a nice course.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed