Piranha Sports
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 36m 34s
Overall Rank = 648/668
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 191/199
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:45 am feeling nauseous and having a dull headache (went to bed with it). I felt pretty bad for the entire morning and at one point, wasn't sure if I was going to race. I managed to eat most of a bagel and a banana.
Arrived at the race site, set up transition area, got body marked, and waited in the shade.
Event warmup:

No real warm up. Brad, Tim and I hung out near the steps leading down to the water. I sat down in the shade and tried to not get sick.
Swim
  • 31m 28s
  • 1609 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim start was a little insane! You walk down about 25 wooden stairs and at the end of this pier, there is a ramp with a rubber mat. You jump off into the water. The waves were only 3 minutes apart which left little time to get everyone down the stairs and into the water. I was about to jump into the water when the announcer yelled "5 seconds". I was about 50 yards behind everyone else who was already in the water. For the first little bit of the swim, I wasn't feeling great. Towards the end, I managed to settle in. I wasn't able to draft and let my breathing pattern go for a little bit. Cornering the bouys was a little crazy since there were so many people so close together.
At the end of the swim, you climbed up this ramp with the rubber mat and grab the volunteer's hands. You then run up the wet, wooden stairs to the transition area. Never seen anything like it!
What would you do differently?:

Get in the water sooner so I could be closer to the front. Concentrate more on making sure I kept my breathing pattern consistant.
Transition 1
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

Walked up most of the stairs and jogged into the transition area. Took my time so I could gauge how I felt. I had a little trouble with my helmet straps being twisted. Once I got them fixed, I was set.
I've mastered going to the bathroom in the transition area (see T2 for more details).

Make sure my helmet straps are laid out beforehand.
Bike
  • 1h 58m 28s
  • 27 miles
  • 13.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was very hilly! My nausea would come and go. It seemed that everytime I would climb out of the saddle, it would come back. I managed to climb almost every hill in the saddle which made for some long climbs. I forced myself to eat peanut butter crackers and I felt a little better after doing so.

Practice on more hills!
Transition 2
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

Decided that instead of wasting time in a port-o-potty, I sat down in the grass and took a leak as I changed my shoes and put on my hat. I think my T2 time could have been faster, but some guy made eye contact with me and I had a small bout of stage fright. =) I hope I didn't gross anyone who is reading this out, but I am sure I'm not the only one. It's just not as easy for women to jump off of the run course as it is for a man.

Nothing....maybe not make eye contact with other racers so I could pee quicker.
Run
  • 1h 00m 50s
  • 5 miles
  • 12m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't feeling great starting the run. I walked the first 50 yards or so as I sipped water. Once I started running, I only walked once more (through a water station). My second half of the run felt so much better than the first. Maybe because I knew I wasn't going to be the last person in (which was my fear). Overall, not thrilled with my pace, but given the fact that I wasn't feeling great that morning, I was just glad to finish.

Train harder for the runs. Since it's the least enjoyable for me, I sometimes don't focus on it. I think if I trained harder for the run portion I could shave a few minutes off my time. Add it to the list of things to do.
Post race
Warm down:

Hosed off (it felt sooooo good)! Hung out for a little bit to pack things up. Hopped in the car and headed to Baltimore for the O's vs. Red Socks game, sushi, and duckpin bowling. Perhaps the best post race ever!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My health...I was really disappointed that I wasn't feeling 100%. I think I could have taken time off of each leg if I wasn't nauseous.
I'm glad I pushed myself to race since I felt better post race than pre race.

Event comments:

I think that if I had trained on more hills, I could have done better.
There could have been more restrooms. Overall, a well run race.
I'd do it again only if I did more hill training.

Last updated: 2005-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:28 | 1609 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 488/199
Overall: 668/668
Performance: Average
Suit: Farmer John Ironman
Course: Course was the shape of a baseball diamond and we swam clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:58:28 | 27 miles | 13.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 649/199
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Course was very hilly with a 3/4 mile climb at around mile 22. Most of the roads were in good condition (except for the one stretch of road before Port Deposit). Course was a mix of sun and shade.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:07
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:50 | 05 miles | 12m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 644/199
Performance: Below average
Course: Run was a 2.5 mile out and back with not much shade. Water stations were every mile or so, but they could have used more.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes