General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I survived my first crash!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-02 7:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
Panama City
Subject: I survived my first crash!!

So today, we went out to beach side over in panama city beach, fl b/c they have a nice bike path along the beach.  It goes through a couple of really nice beach towns where pedestrian traffic picks up on the bike path and the path has more turns.  long story short, i was on the front leading my buddy around a sharp bend at about 17mph or so and OH NO!!! there was about a 3 year old girl riding a tricycle in the middle of the path!  and to make matters worse, its a rock wall on one side and a row of hedges on the left between myself and the road.  Being the citizen i am, lol, i chose to not take out the little pigtailed sweetheart and headed for the bushes.  my bike stopped, i didn't...lol.  i went clear over the handle bars, hit hard, tuck and roll.  I  landed a few feet passed the girl.  I can now see she was following what seemed to be her grandmother who turns around to see a strange man standing next to her grandaughter with a helmet, but no bike.  she looks at me like some sort of pedifile pervert and says "come on sarah, stay by me".  oh well, myself and the bike are fine.  just thought i'd share that with you all. 
any other good crash stories?

2010-07-02 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2959125

Veteran
South Shore, MA.
Subject: RE: I survived my first crash!!
Life's finer moments to be celebrated with a beer and a bike tune-up
2010-07-02 8:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida
Must be something about NW Florida and bikes today.  I was 1.5 mile in to my ride this morning and found a metal grate in the gutter on 98 in Santa Rosa Beach and took a spill, ended up with some road rash, sore wrist and bent front rim...today was not the day to ride in NW Florida.
2010-07-02 8:33 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
I too had an over the handlebars experience today. Good job saving the youngun.
2010-07-02 8:45 PM

User image

New user

I'm just getting over a bike wreck that bent up my handlebars and forced me to get new ones.Laughing Came arounnd a corner at the end of a long hill going ~23 mph and hit grass someone's mower had thrown across the pavement. Lost control and ended up landing on the handlebars somehow. Still have one rib refusing to go back into place, but road rash has healed and my new Profile Design bars are amazing.
2010-07-02 10:27 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

5 weeks into my broken fibula recovery caused by a patch of gravel hit while going around a corner.

Should be walking unassisted in another week or so.  Trainer rides and swimming for awhile for me.

2010-07-03 7:41 AM

Extreme Veteran
Panama City
wow, mine difinitely could have gone worse.  wish you injured guys/gals back soon.
2010-07-03 7:46 AM

Regular
One month ago I was riding on the bike path in Summit County Colorado. I was on the Vail Pass bike path. There is a company that you can pay to drive you to the top of the pass so all you have to do is ride down the path (unbelieveable!!) which is very twisting/turning in several places. My friend and I were commenting on how dangerous this is. About 50 people in this one (or maybe several groups together) start heading down. We wait to make sure they are out of our way before heading down. We start down and make it to the bottom where there are about 25 of this group off to the side. I see them in the distance start to get back on to the path. I also note that not ONE of them is even looking to see if anybody is coming.

I start yelling "bikers on you left/pay attention" and repeated constantly until I was passing one of the last bikers. When I yelled "on you left" this 12 year old kid goes left and I stop as quickly as I could. As I was going over my handle bars I remember seeing the kids bike inches from my face. I landed directly on my face and thought I broke my nose and a few other things. Ironically, I completely missed hitting anybody and my bike had very minimal damage.

As it turns out, I just had a couple stitches on my upper lip. Lots of blood due to being on blood thinners. The emergency room said they were most concerned because of my blood thinners. They wanted to do a cat-scan but I remembered the accident so well and never lost consciencness. They told my husband to keep a close eye on me because they were concerned about bleeding on the brain. In the middle of the night while I was sleeping he took a picture of me and sent it to one of the companies that offers this VERY un-safe activity explaining what happened.

Any way, I am SO lucky and was back to training for Ironman Arizona within a one week (after several chiropractic/massage visits). I learned a lot and am very thankful for my good fortune. Biggest lesson: While this accident was not my fault, I was the more experienced cyclist and should have passed this group much more defensively. Instead I was angry that they were even on the path and didn't use the best judgement. Patience would have served me well in this case. It was also a big wake-up call about being on blood thinners. I have to be on blood thinners for life and I need to remember how serious that can be.

Any way, very happy to be training again and Ironman Arizona here I come!!!!
2010-07-03 8:43 AM

Extreme Veteran
Panama City

^^great perspective.  So many times on here you can find elitists preaching from his/her high horse about recreational bikers and kids and how the rest of the world should just know to get out of the way when they're training.  99.99% of people aren't training, they're enjoying the outdoors.  It's refreshing to hear an athlete not condeming some kid who panic'd for just being just that, "a kid" who panic'd...good on you.

Edited by brycoy 2010-07-03 8:44 AM
2010-07-03 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
This may be stating the obvious but...recreational and multi-use paths are not good for training or riding fast.  I commute on multi-use paths and I'm generally pretty careful but I know it can be hard to resist the urge to go fast.
Don 
2010-07-03 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Here is a report of my wreck last year:

So I was doing my regular 16 mile time trial route attempting to better my best 18.1 average MPH run.  I knew I was in the money for a new record as I crested the top of the last steep climb way point at 17.7 average, when my best ever had been 17.3 at this way point.  All that was left now was the high speed rolling hill section where I could ride at speeds up to 28 MPH. 

As I was climbing up a rolling incline at 25MPH, I took my eye off the road to glance at my watch as I had to be at my daughter’s baseball game in 55 minutes.  Then it happened, I drifted off the road into the gravel (fully laid out on my aero bars).   It was so bumpy and hard to control I could not even consider moving my hands to the hoods so I could brake or even unclip for that matter.  Paralyzed with fear, I stayed with it until I reached the ditch which was completely overgrown with star thistle.  After plowing though the stickers, I watched in horror as my front wheel smashed into the embankment ejecting dirt and gravel into the air similar to a pyroclastic volcanic event.   You know all the dust and stuff?

Then suddenly, I felt light as air.  I was sailing upward over the handlebars still clipped in and hanging on to the aero bars when my helmet suddenly made contact with the ground skidding across the ground.  My Timex Ironman watch, hands, forearms and elbows eventually made contact with the earth as I slide to a stop and fell over like a corps.

I pulled the stickers out of my dirt covered sweaty face, looked at my bike computer as I kicked my feet out of the pedals and noticed that I was at 18.1 average MPH.  Without a moment of hesitation, I pulled myself back onto the road, and got back up to speed.  The dirt and stickers were all over me but I didn't care, I need to best 18.1 average at any cost.  I mean WTF, if this was a race I would certainly do it....right?

With just about six miles remaining, I pushed as hard as my skinned up body would allow.  As I rolled into my driveway, I observed and average of 18.3 MPH.  Better than my best ever by .2 MPH.

While at my daughters the baseball game, the coach asked,"OMG, what happened to you", I replied that "I had a little bike wreck 30 minutes earlier".

Triathlon is the best sport ever!

Edited by MKAH 2010-07-03 10:28 AM

2010-07-03 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2959570

Extreme Veteran
Panama City
donw - 2010-07-03 10:08 AM This may be stating the obvious but...recreational and multi-use paths are not good for training or riding fast.  I commute on multi-use paths and I'm generally pretty careful but I know it can be hard to resist the urge to go fast.
Don 

I agree, but i've also been yelled at and had cars/trucks try to "brush me off the plate" with a near miss while telling me to get on the bike path.  Not really worth yelling back, so I ignore them and continue on...but i do value my health and would prefer to not get hit by a vehicle.  they're just ignorant and that's part of this life, so i'm not going to complain anymore, i'm over those a-holes. (one last shot at them) lol
2010-07-03 3:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
brycoy - 2010-07-02 7:55 PM

I can now see she was following what seemed to be her grandmother who turns around to see a strange man standing next to her grandaughter with a helmet, but no bike.  she looks at me like some sort of pedifile pervert and says "come on sarah, stay by me".  

This cracked me up.  You think:  I just saved your granddaughter.  She sees:  Some guy in spandex and a helmet, just standing there with a huge grin on his face...
No good deed goes unpunished, right? 
2010-07-03 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh
Must be something about the beach...i had my 1st wreck. here's the deets:

http://www.idleathlete.com/?p=177

Ended up with bruised palms, white meat and a partially torn AC Joint from the impact...

fun! 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I survived my first crash!! Rss Feed