General Discussion Triathlon Talk » lond runs on the tredmill - advise me pls! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-04 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Western WI
Subject: lond runs on the tredmill - advise me pls!
OK, so you may have noiced that I've posted questions about training indoors before  - as you can tell, I don't do much of my training inside!(Which is great - thank goodness for WI weather!)   So first, let me say that I appreciate all you advice!

Questions about doing your long runs on the tredmill:

First, how many people do this?

Second, should I be changing pace and incline to (try to) replicate outdoors or just set it, throw a towel over the screen and go?

Third, I know tredmill running isn't ideal, but can I count a long run on the tredmill as a legit workout?

My life just got pretty crazy scheduling wise, and I have to figure out when to get my workouts in - unfort, this means having to ride/run when it's dark out => inside.  So again, thanks for the advice on training indoors!!

(for what it's worth, i'm training for IMMOO for the second time.  My long runs now are only around 2 hours.  Hopefully when they start to get longer, I'll be able to get outside again...!)

2010-07-04 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2960544

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: lond runs on the tredmill - advise me pls!
1) I've done 3 20 mile training runs and several 18 milers on the TM (some due to the weather and some since I was monitoring and injury and needed to be able to stop if needed). Those runs really helped me learn and be able to hold a decent and consistent pace during the run.
2) I just set the incline to 1% and the speed to my desired pace and kept it the same for the whole run. I did "allow" myself a potty/bottle refill stop of a couple minutes halfway through which really helped to break the time up. I used to crank up the incline pretty good on the TM until it contributed to an injury, so for me no more of that.
3) I think they are very "legit" as long as you can admit to yourself that it is somewhat "easier" to run just keeping up with the belt versus having to make yourself hold a certain pace. I did almost all of my training for a January marathon early this year on the TM and was able to run the entire race at my desired marathon pace that I had practiced on all those TM runs. Also, I think it has a valuable aspect as "mental" training also. To be able to commit to a workout that long on a TM helps train your mind to do what you need to do on race day too.
2010-07-04 1:57 PM

User image

Expert
Ft Gordon, GA
TOTALLY legit. Hell, I think that TM runs are harder than outdoor runs. Mentally, there's no comparison for me as TM runs are sooo much harder.

My longest TM run is only 15 miles (THREE 20 milers--Egad!) but I always set the incline to 1.5% b/c I have read multiple articles that say that 1.5% is the correct incline to account for wind and the fact that the TM is moving for you. I find that my TM times and my outdoor times are almost exactly the same for perceived levels of exertion (but I could be fooling myself).

Either way, I set it at 1.5%, pick a pace, gradually increase ot decrease depending on goal for the run and just run. I break it up by only checking my heart rate momnitor average every mile (a pretty lame goal to look forward to but it helps pass the time) and I listen to my iPOD. I also always have the following mantra going in my head: "HTFU ... HTFU ... HTFU"
2010-07-04 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
I bought a treadmill to do winter training back when IMAZ was in the spring. I've done several 20 mile runs and uncountable 10 to 15 mile runs. Most interval runs I also do on the treadmill because it's easier to control my pace. This summer has been non-existent weather wise (it's 62 degrees outside right now) and raining, so you could say I'm still using it for "winter" training for IMLP.

I will adjust the speed sometimes during a long run, usually slower when cardiac drift has my heart rate going past the upper edge of the zone. Otherwise I set it and forget it.

There's one solution for me to surviving, even enjoying, long treadmill runs: DVDs on a big enough TV (36" 4 feet away) with noise cancelling headphones. I watch say three episodes of a TV show on DV for a 2:15 run, and actually enjoy both the run and the show.
2010-07-04 4:37 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I find long runs on treadmill help build mental toughness as well as learning how to pace. I work at negative splitting all my long runs so on treadmill it forces me to learn how to do it.

I run at 1% grade and then adjust my pace as I progress to negative split.
2010-07-04 5:59 PM

Veteran
Harrisburg, PA
I do a couple of treadmill runs every week.  Not usually longer than 1:05, though.  They are legit.  I can run almost 1 min per mile faster outside for the same perceived effort.  I do keep a small incline on the mill as I have been advised to do this by running coaches and other knowledgeables.

Ipod is a must for me on the mill!!

2010-07-05 12:01 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago
i agree with all.  I too did all of my long runs back when IMAZ was in april...it sucked @ss but I got 'em done.  what i did was set it to "random" and choose a low level so it changed from 0 to 3% incline randomly.  other times i set it to no less than 1% and run by HR.

i'm actually really surprised my treadmill held up for 2-3 hr runs.  i didn't belong to a gym so i ran on my "cheapo" treadmill in my home and was certain i would break it.     never did...the thing still works today (4 years later and counting).

good luck at IMOO man...you're gonna have a blast.  I'm jealous!
2010-07-05 2:41 PM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
I like doing intervals and speedwork in treadmills .... breaks up the monotony. Gale Bernhardt's excellent triathlon book "Training Plans For Multsport Athlete's" has a chapter on treadmill training, but here are two workouts that work great for me:

Ladders: About an hour
2 min @ 10min/mile, 9:30, 9, 8:30, 8, 7:30, 7,7:30, 8, 8:30, 9, 9:30, 10 - repeat
5 min @ 30 sec /mile faster than race pace
5 min cool down
*This works out average 8:30 pace, my ~HM pace, but the intervals make it more interesting and pass the time faster.

Intervals: About 85-90 minutes
10min WU
3 X 4min fast then 4 min slow = 24 min
3 X 3min fast then 3 min slow= 18 min
3 X 2 min fast  then 2 min slow = 12 min
3 X 1 min fast  then 1 min slow  = 6 min
* For me fast is 7:30/mile, slow is 9:00 to 9:15 depending onhow I feel.
1 mile at 30 sec/mile  faster than desired race pace
10 min CD

I also run these with HR monitor to get a better feel for pace and perceived exertion versus heart rate.

I'm gonna try the noise cancellation headphones! Good idea.

Edited by jsselle 2010-07-05 2:45 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » lond runs on the tredmill - advise me pls! Rss Feed