General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ugh.. can't swim straight Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-11 10:22 AM

User image

Subject: ugh.. can't swim straight

I went out to the lake where my first sprint tri will be held next weekend to get a feel for the water.

I found that I had a tough time going in a straight line.
I probably don't have much choice than to stop and switch to breast stroke and look up to reorient myself. However, it'll make me slower than I already am. Hopefully, I don't bump into too many people and get disqualified. heheheh :p

Any last minute suggestions?
thanks

2005-07-11 10:31 AM
in reply to: #194706

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: RE: ugh.. can't swim straight
My suggestion would be to practice sighting. When you are swimming, every so often, look up and sight the buoys. For example, swim and breathe for 10-15 strokes like normal, then look up and sight the buoy. If you swim free, instead of breathing to the side, just lift your head, find the buoy and take a breath, all while you're taking strokes. This also allows you to watch for other swimmers that you might be coming up on. I recommended this to someone who was having the same problem, and it helped her alot.

You can practice this in the pool by putting a water bottle, or a cone or something at the end of the lane...

Good Luck! You'll do great.
2005-07-11 10:40 AM

User image

Thanks. I've seen that suggestion before about looking up briefly instead of a regular breath, but I can't figure out how to do it without throwing off the strokes altogether and coming to a virtual stop.

It's easier in the pool with the lane lines and ropes.. hehe
2005-07-11 12:13 PM

User image

Bellevue, WA/Chicago, IL
well, I don't think many people can accurately swim in a straight line.

Even swimmers who have swam their whole life, drop them in the lake and they'll probably go in circles (no bottom lines!)

Basically you're going to have to look up a little bit to get proper sightings...additionally, unless you're the fastest in the first wave, you're going to have people everywhere around you, it's part of the sport (seen those posters from Ironman? Hundreds of people basically swimming over each other)
2005-07-11 3:39 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Practicing with spotting will help a lot.  Also, if you want to practice swimming straight in the pool, swim with your eyes closed.  Of course, make sure you open your eyes before you get to the wall.  My training buddy had her eyes closed and ended up smacking her head on the wall and was cussing up a strom!  Ouch!  Also, my Maters swim coach told me I wasn't swimming straight due to my free style technique, or therefore lack of.  Apparently my arms were crossing over a little bit in the front (almost like an X) instead of them going straight.  I am by no means an expert with swimming, but maybe check out your technique.  Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ugh.. can't swim straight Rss Feed