General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Aero" road bike with 76 Angle Seat Tube Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-04 8:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: "Aero" road bike with 76 Angle Seat Tube Question
Was doing the typical debate with myself on the tri vs road bike stuff.  Upon doing research I came across the Cervelo S2 and Kuota (as well as some others) that have 76 angle tube over the 'traditional' 73.  My question:

Is this a good compromise between the road and tri?  It would still be clip on aero bars but with the steeper angle will it compliment clip on aero bars better than the 73 degree?  I know what all the glossy brochures say, but I'd like to get more objective opinions.  Thanks.   

2010-07-05 3:47 AM
in reply to: #2961072

User image

Subject: RE: "Aero" road bike with 76 Angle Seat Tube Question
The reason for the steeper angle is to make the angle your hips make more opened when you're aero.

With a slacker seat (the 76 degree) you're more folded up. With a steeper seat (79-80 degree) you're more open. Which one allows you a deeper breath? Which one allows your legs full stroke without hitting you in the chest or tummy?

Personally, I've got both and my road bike stays in the basement. I don't believe I've taken it out in two years now.
2010-07-05 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2961072

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: "Aero" road bike with 76 Angle Seat Tube Question
I road raced on custom Softride frames. "Seat tube angle" kind of doesn't mean much on those bikes. So after racinf for several years, both TT (adding clip-ons) and road, I decided to measure my effective STA one day. I was SHOCKED to find it was 77 degrees. And when I got back into tri, and got my position settles, found I was riding at an effective 82 degrees.

So really, it depends on YOU. You might be able to make the bike work for both road and tri (something you could swap back and forth easily), but it depends on what you ride for each. There's more to it than just seat tube angle though.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Aero" road bike with 76 Angle Seat Tube Question Rss Feed