General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip water-packs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-06 1:45 PM

User image

New Berlin
Subject: Hip water-packs
Anyone know any / have any experience with- the benefits of, or problems with, hip water belt units? I sometimes carry a bottle with me, but that gets old on long runs.

I am looking at a 4 bottle belt that holds 10oz each. Do these work? Are they bad for your hips or back? Does it change your stride to any large degree? Is the convenience of having that on your hips worth $40?

Thanks to all.

2010-07-06 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2963844

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Hip water-packs
AGRawson - 2010-07-06 1:45 PM Anyone know any / have any experience with- the benefits of, or problems with, hip water belt units? I sometimes carry a bottle with me, but that gets old on long runs.

I am looking at a 4 bottle belt that holds 10oz each. Do these work? Are they bad for your hips or back? Does it change your stride to any large degree? Is the convenience of having that on your hips worth $40?

Thanks to all.

I use the Amphipod 4 bottle fuel belt and LOVE it!  I haven't had any issues with my hips,  back or running stride using it.  IMO, it is worth the $40. 
2010-07-06 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
AGRawson - 2010-07-06 1:45 PM Anyone know any / have any experience with- the benefits of, or problems with, hip water belt units? I sometimes carry a bottle with me, but that gets old on long runs.

Thanks to all.

i train and race with a 4 bottle fuel belt all the time.. i actually put an extra pouch or two on it to carry other goodies as well...  i just put a little body glide on my hips and lower back as i have had a little chafing from it once or twice on longer runs...  but generally not a problem...  it does not bother me at all on the run... and i've worn it during my last two marathons...

if the alternative is collapsing 17 miles into a 20 mile training run due to the lack of hydration and nutrition i'd say its probably worth the $40... Smile
2010-07-06 4:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mayville, Wi

Last year I got a 4-bottle fuel belt for a couple of bucks at Goodwill - new & unused with the tags still on it (probably never would have been able to convince the wife to let me buy it otherwise).  It's a large, and i don't wear a large, but a few safety pins took care of that.  The safety pins are now rusting out from all the salt my sweating has exposed them to, so I'm going to have a friend sew it this year, but I still love it.   My only wish (aside from it being the correct size to begin with) is to upgrade the 8-oz bottles to 10-oz, but it's working great for me otherwise as i train for my second half-iron and my first marathon.

2010-07-06 9:00 PM

User image

New Berlin
Thanks, all, again for the help. I guess I'll go for it. How great is Goodwill sometimes. I just picked up a bike trainer, which also never would have passed the wife-test otherwise. Looking forward to using it. Any suggestions as to how to best / most efficiently use a trainer?
2010-07-06 9:35 PM
in reply to: #2964739

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mayville, Wi

AGRawson - 2010-07-06 9:00 PM Thanks, all, again for the help. I guess I'll go for it. How great is Goodwill sometimes. I just picked up a bike trainer, which also never would have passed the wife-test otherwise. Looking forward to using it. Any suggestions as to how to best / most efficiently use a trainer?

We recently bought a spinner to keep at home, and I'm doing half to 2/3 of my bike training indoors this season - with a new kiddo, it's my compromise with my beautiful wife, and is actually working really well for me (averaged 20+MPH at my last sprint race with hardly any outdoor riding at all).  Spinervals Competition Series has been a HUGE boon for me - pop in a good Spinervals workout, and just follow along.  If you don't have access to them, use a  weekly protocol of 2 indoor workouts of 45-60 minutes and one outdoor long ride.  One of the indoor rides is tabata-style sets, and one is 2:1 work:recover ratio sets around lactate threshold - the same kind of protocol I plan my spinning classes around (I'm a part-time instructor in the off-season).  The outdoor is an endurance ride, often with a brick run.

Lest you scoff at the value of indoor training, Christine Clark - the only US woman to qualify for the marathon in the 2000 Olympics - did the bulk of her training on a treadmill.

If you want some more ideas or details on the indoor training, PM me.

2010-07-08 5:22 PM

User image

New Berlin
Thanks. kids keep me indoors too. I think the idea seems to be train via HR and move the intensity to get into that range. I am not a big VO2max guy so LT and distance are what I need.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip water-packs Rss Feed