Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-07-09 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2969393

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Long swims getting real boring
As a sometimes student of Terry's I discovered much of what he writes about without beign told about it until afterwards...after I'd already discovered it myself. Actually, after taking my TI weekend workshop in January, and prior to meeting him in March, every single swim I did was the best swim I'd ever done, regardless of how far Id swum or what I'd done in the pool...waht skill I'd worked on.

And I think that's the point...I was ALWAYS working on a specific skill or focal point, never just counting laps.

As I've increased my distance to sets of 500 to 1000 (and many more sets of 300 or less), the longer ones always have a focus such as use of hte tempo trainer or counting my strokes with specific goals, etc.

When I'm doing a "workout", yes I sometimes get bored. When I'm "practicing" swimming, I never get bored.

2010-07-09 8:48 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
I posted this last fall and it kinda fits in with this thread:

I'm swimming along like a manatee this morning just enjoying the water.  The jocks in the lanes next to me are trying to become the next Michael Phelps and generating some waves for me while they swim butterfly and do drills.  I plod along swimming my freestyle every lap while thinking about yesterday and today and next year and a glimmer of light flashes from the bottom of the pool.  On the next stroke it was gone.  I swim another lap and there it was again! 

I wonder what it could be?  A diamond maybe?  Maybe the facet of a diamond caught the light just right?  Why would a diamond be on the bottom of the pool?  Hmmm, maybe it fell out of someone's ring.  I thought it over.  I could get the diamond and turn it in at the front desk and either I'd be someone's hero for having recovered a family heirloom or I'd tell them if nobody claimed the diamond in 4 weeks, I want it back. 

I swam a few more laps.  I realized I could only catch the light on my 3rd stroke off the far wall.  I thought about it some more and thought it was probably just some piece of trash.  If someone lost a diamond in the pool they would surely come back and scour the pool from end-to-end till they found it.  I looked at my watch and was keeping a good pace and did not want to mess up my interval time by going off on some wild goose chase to the bottom of the pool looking at trash.

My mind went out on the road to an old plantation house that I had drive by for years.  It was a beautiful old southern plantation.  There was a historical marker on the road by the plantation but I'd never had time to stop and read the marker.  Then one day I was riding my bike by the plantation.  I debated stopping.  I didn't want to mess up my ride time.  I was training and keeping track of my pace and stopping to read historical markers was not part of the training!  Finally one day I decided to stop and read the marker.  I learned that the Belle Mina Plantation was build in the 1800s and was originally called Belle Manor or beautiful house but the southern folks, with their southern accents called it Belle Mina.  I could almost hear them. 

And so I resolved from now on, I'd stop and smell the roses!  I'd never get so caught up into time and intervals and mph and pace that I couldn't stop and deviate from the 'plan'.  I swim, bike and run becuase I enjoy swimming, biking and running and really don't like to always think of swimming, biking and running as "training". 

So what was the shiny thing at the bottom of the pool?  Just a piece of trash.  But it coulda been a diamond.....

:-)

2010-07-09 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2970412

thinking about other things...channeling....plantation houses....endurance.... yada yada yada. I have heard it all over the years, and the one thing that is different now than in the long competitive swimming training of my youth is that i have a hell of a lot more on my mind than than i did when i was a kid. I used to get through 8 - 9K workouts without flintching. Now, as an adult / business owner / member of society - i cant get through 200M without thinking about - payroll, or did i miss a meetingh today, or the fifty other trials my staff brings to me on a daily basis.
My answer - swimP3. All of the above coaches and fellow practioners of masacism, may dispute my reasoning. Let me just say this; I train and race, to get further away from the start quickly; not so much to get to the end first. Getting in the water, putting some music in my ears or even an audio book, allows me to, for all tense and purposes, add a fourth element to my tri life - escaping my real life. Try it - and it tucks nicely up in your cap. (hint, hint)  

2010-07-09 10:25 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Break it up by doing a ladder.

10 seconds between each set.

Voila, you have swum 3000 meters.  For me, this takes one hour.

I only plan to swim 4000 meters twice during my IM training.  They will both be in open water.

Actually, you don't want to ask me.  I can run on a treadmill for up to 5 hours, staring at blank white wall, thinking about the rhythm of my feet and breath.

Edited by pga_mike 2010-07-09 10:28 AM
2010-07-09 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2970295

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
I've never thought boring was the right word to describe it - unengaging is a better word for me. I find that I need something to occupy my brain a bit while swimming or I tend to drift and daydream or more likely, worry about the problems of today or tomorrow at work or family or whatever.

Sets and drills and pyramids are more engaging and thus I don't drift. A straight 1500 yard swim is going to be pretty unengaging any way you swim it (Total Immersion or otherwise). It's hard to stay focused on the swim at hand when my mind wants to practice the upcoming review 1-1 I'm having with an underperforming report.

That's why I love my H2O Audio. It adds just enough to my experience to keeping me focused on the swim at hand rather than drifting away.

Edited by brucemorgan 2010-07-09 10:33 AM
2010-07-09 10:33 AM

User image

New user

I never learned how to do a flip, so my head comes out of the water at each turn.  People watching really helps.

2010-07-09 10:40 AM

User image

Wow. Some really good advise here. Thanks guys needed this!

- j
2010-07-09 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2970276

User image

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.

Total Immersion - 2010-07-09 6:09 AM This thread makes it evident that a great many people are experiencing boredom in their swim training.

Um, no. I just don't like doing sets over 200 yards. I'll do several sets of 200, no problem. It's not even necessarily a boredom problem. I just don't like them. It's hard to explain. Come see me on descending sets day. I'm too tired to be bored. ;-)

2010-07-09 3:00 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Total Immersion - 2010-07-09 6:17 AM There's a striking contrast in the widespread boredom reported on this thread and an absolute absence of any reports of boredom in threads on the TI Discussion Forum. To the contrary, the overwhelming spirit one feels in the questions and chronicles posted there is of keen interest, motivation and enjoyment. Click here to see for yourself. http://www.totalimmersion.net/forums One reason I can point to is that, some 10 years ago, we began to emphasize the "behaviors of excellence" in TI methodology, as much as the mechanics of stroke efficiency.

I think a big reason for the differences in the forums is the different audience. Your members seek out the TI forum because they crave swimming information and are actively engaging in discussions about it. It BT forums many of us swim our way to T1 so we can get on the bike and have some fun. We are just in a different place, so the long swim sets often laid out by iron-distance training plans are a real bear.
I really enjoyed George Leonard's writings. Thanks for posting that excerpt.
2010-07-09 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2969491

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

mallen4574 - 2010-07-08 6:08 PM I agree that breaking it up is a much better way to swim. If you train long and slow you'll race long and slow. I only long swims as time trials and they are only about 25 minutes long at the longest. Also if you cant find a water polo team theres always water aerobics. Haha

You must have different types of folks at your WA classes than at my gym...   Besides, my gym kicks the lap swimmers out of the pool so that the three WA folks can float around on their noodles...

2010-07-09 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Dirt Road
If you are board come swim with me. This morning I did 1.5 miles in the sea and was very much entertained. I saw many crabs, a few fish, a sting ray, a star fish and a couple of big dust clouds that got my attention.

In the pool I have to be creative with my sets. 

2010-07-09 4:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Total Immersion - 2010-07-09 6:17 AM
 • The Dabbler starts many new things and makes good initial progress. Upon encountering the first plateau he loses enthusiasm, gives up and tries another activity . . . then repeats the pattern.
• The Obsessive lives for the growth spurt. When progress slows, he presses seeking better results faster. He burns out then gives that up for something else.
• The Hacker hits the first plateau then redefines satisfaction as status quo. Rather then seek instruction or adjust his approach, he contents himself with that level.
• The Master When her learning curve flattens, she commits to mental discipline, persistence, flexibility and incremental improvement. 

Seriously...? ...all the bad ones are "he's" and the Master is a "she"? What's that all about? Ironically, since I can't be a "she" I guess I'm going to have to be content with Hacker. ;-)
2010-07-09 4:46 PM
in reply to: #2971660

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
bfoyle - 2010-07-09 2:41 PM
 • The Dabbler starts many new things and makes good initial progress. Upon encountering the first plateau he loses enthusiasm, gives up and tries another activity . . . then repeats the pattern.
• The Obsessive lives for the growth spurt. When progress slows, he presses seeking better results faster. He burns out then gives that up for something else.
• The Hacker hits the first plateau then redefines satisfaction as status quo. Rather then seek instruction or adjust his approach, he contents himself with that level.
• The Master When her learning curve flattens, she commits to mental discipline, persistence, flexibility and incremental improvement. 

Seriously...? ...all the bad ones are "he's" and the Master is a "she"? What's that all about? Ironically, since I can't be a "she" I guess I'm going to have to be content with Hacker. ;-)

That's pretty awesome. Maybe becoming female is part of the journey. Once you get there, you'll never leave the locker room.

Edited by Slidell4life 2010-07-09 4:47 PM
2010-07-09 5:36 PM
in reply to: #2971668

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Slidell4life - 2010-07-09 2:46 PM
bfoyle - 2010-07-09 2:41 PM

That's pretty awesome. Maybe becoming female is part of the journey. Once you get there, you'll never leave the locker room.

Maybe that's due to the myelin enhancement that TI brings about...

In my case, the boredom is due to 17 years on teams when I was younger.

John
2010-07-09 7:42 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

If you don't want to get bored, focus on your stroke during your swim. Learn about stroke technique and apply it to your swimming. Also sometimes you can just swim your guts out. The biggest problem you will have there is that you might lose count.

2010-07-10 3:57 PM

User image

New Haven, CT
Total Immersion - 2010-07-09 9:17 AM There's a striking contrast in the widespread boredom reported on this thread and an absolute absence of any reports of boredom in threads on the TI Discussion Forum. To the contrary, the overwhelming spirit one feels in the questions and chronicles posted there is of keen interest, motivation and enjoyment.

Terry- TI did wonders for me and I recommend it to anyone who asks, so please don't take this the wrong way.  However, I typically swim by myself.  I simply do not have the scheduling flexibility for masters swims or a bunch of buddies who want to meet me at the pool to swim. Hence, I am alone with the line and my head.  I play games to distract me, try and meditate, all of it.  But sometimes it is boring, but lots of things are boring yet we muddle through. 

2010-07-10 9:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Trois-Rivières,Quebec,Canada
In the pool is easy to go to swim with the beautiful lady around and it motivate me to go fast. I'm not going to the pool to cruise the lady but it's nice to see ladies with beautiful and in good shape body. It's hard to go to the pool but when I start to swim I can't stop before the end of my schedule training. In open water that is quit different but usually I try to go where some people are there. First of all to zipp my wet and second for security.
2010-07-10 9:04 PM
in reply to: #2972729

User image

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.

jsklarz - 2010-07-10 1:57 PM

I simply do not have the scheduling flexibility for masters swims or a bunch of buddies who want to meet me at the pool to swim. Hence, I am alone with the line and my head.

x2

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long swims getting real boring Rss Feed  

of 2