United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 46s
Overall Rank = 31/672
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/39
Pre-race routine:

Regular breakfast, but race start of noon threw me off a bit in terms of taking in food. Had an apple and cliff bar around 10:00 and some cliff bites around 11:00. Lots of gatorade and water during 24 hours prior to race - very well hydrated.
Event warmup:

Short run and then bike to course (1 mile)
Swim
  • 14m 33s
  • 660 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was billed as a 1/4 mile swim, but it was definitely longer than that. My time was 14:33, and my last 1/4 mile swim in a tri was 7:28. It was an ocean swim and there was a little wind and the waves were maybe 6 inches in height. That doesn't add up to an additional 7 minutes, though. I hadn't trained to swim for this long, and I think it caught up to me later on the run.
What would you do differently?:

Do more swim training. I'm doing an olympic at the end of August, so I'll be spending more time in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

There was close to a 1/4 mile run from the water to the transition area, part of it through sand. Other than the longer run, transition was ok.
Bike
  • 34m 30s
  • 14 miles
  • 24.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt great on the bike. A little tired at the start due to the longer than expected swim. First part of the bike had a headwind with speeds around 22-23. There was a tailwind on the return with speeds around 25-26. Passed about 12-15 people and didn't get passed by anyone.

I drank a bottle of gatorade, but looking back I probably should have taken another bottle to drink.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Rack was a bit messed up when I got back to transition - asked a volunteer to try fixing it as I left. Somehow my Garmin 305 got knocked off to the side and it took me 10 seconds to find it. Could have probably been a little faster overall.
Run
  • 28m 37s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

The run absolutely killed me in this race. I started out around a 7 min pace, but about half a mile in I started to get a real bad cramp. This was the first cramp I had gotten in over a year, either in training or in racing. Maybe it was the temp and humidity (85 degrees and nearly 100% humidity) or not taking in enough liquid on the bike, or the longer than expected swim. Either way, I stunk it up big time.

I have run this course in about 21:30, and I went 7 minutes slower. I was hoping to run at a 6:30 pace, but averaged 8:17. Even running 25 minutes would have put me in 13th place overall instead of 32nd. I was so pissed after the run - why a cramp?

I'm honestly not sure what brought to cramp on. I guess I just need to put more training time in in the heat. Due to work, other than on weekends, I can't put training time in during the hotter part of the day. I think getting my body accustomed to heat during training would have helped out.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and drank a bit and ate some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not really sure - I was well hydrated before the race and even after the race. I think I need to swim more, as I was planning on a 7-8 minute swim - not a 14:33 swim. Those extra 7 minutes could have fatigued me.

Event comments:

The food after the race was pretty poor - rice krispies treats and coke? Where were the bagels? Overall, it was a well run race.

I'm glad that I beat Scott Brown and Jenny Thompson, who were competing in the race as honorees.

Last updated: 2010-03-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:33 | 660 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/39
Overall: 115/672
Performance: Below average
Suit: XTerra Vortex
Course: Walk out to start - course seemed way longer than 1/4 mile. The top overall time was 10:17 - the same guy that won a tri two weeks ago swimming a 5:20 1/4 mile swim. Did I mention that it was probably not 1/4 miles?
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:05
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:30 | 14 miles | 24.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/39
Overall: 6/672
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Fairly flat out and in course with rolling hills. Headwind on the way out and tailwind on the return.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:37 | 03.5 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/39
Overall: 140/672
Performance: Bad
HR around 160 - usually around 175-180, but got a really bad abdominal cramp!
Course: Fairly flat course with only one real hill.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-11 7:55 AM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Subject: Nantucket Triathlon

2010-07-11 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2973248

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Nantucket Triathlon

Didn't know they had a tri on nantucket how cool!!!  Sorry you are unhappy.  I'd kill for that run pace.  Its all relative. 

2010-07-11 4:47 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Yeah - this was the second year. Last year there were around 350 people and this year there were nearly 700, and it sold out. The race director is the son of some neighbors on the island. It was a very well run and cool to have two senators and an olympic champion there to kick off the race.
2010-07-11 5:26 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Great job out there.  The conditions were tough and no way was that a 1/4 mile swim.  I was quite a bit further back than you (as in lifetime BOP) and the bike jammed up in spectacular fashion.  An out and back bike on narrow roads, partially shared with the run, and open to to traffic made things interesting.  I had to unclip twice. Great job under less than ideal conditions.  That said, I thought it was really well run overall and enjoyed the afternoon.  
2010-07-11 5:27 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Great job out there.  The conditions were tough and no way was that a 1/4 mile swim.  I was quite a bit further back than you (as in lifetime BOP) and the bike jammed up in spectacular fashion.  An out and back bike on narrow roads, partially shared with the run, and open to to traffic made things interesting.  I had to unclip twice. Great job under less than ideal conditions.  That said, I thought it was really well run overall and enjoyed the afternoon.  
2010-07-11 7:30 PM

Very happy to know there's a tri on ACK. Will definitely participate next year. Thanks for posting. 

2010-07-12 6:35 AM

Thank you everyone who participated in the event.

Yes the swim was longer than .25.  We made a race day decision, based on the water level, to add .10 to the swim course. As always, the swim portion will be challenging because there is some distance between swim exit and the TA.

As for traffic, we worked hard to get the Town to allow road closures for the race but this was rejected.  We are hopeful that due to the traffic and congestion issues that arose this year, they will consider it for next year.  Post race food is an issue due to licensing issues with the concessionaire at Jetties.  We are working on it, but it has not been as easy as one would think and we are limited in what we can do about it.

We have found the run to be deceptively difficult despite the mostly flat course.  The heat and humidity was also a challenge.

If you competed this year, please please please participate in our post-race survey which should go out in the next week or so.  We are committed to constantly improving the event.

Jamie Ranney
Race Director
Nantucket Triathlon
www.acktri.com
2010-07-12 8:00 AM

The swim seemed considerably longer than 1/4 mile. I had been doing that amount in about 12 minutes in training and I came out at almost 19 minutes. I was dying coming out of the water.

Frank 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nantucket Triathlon Rss Feed