General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Warm-up takes forever??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-12 11:07 AM

Subject: Warm-up takes forever???
Is it unreasonable that it takes my bike legs about 30 minutes to get warmed up?  Just judging by heart rate and speed and perceived effort...it doesn't feel like I hit a groove for awhile.  Any tips on getting them warmed up without expending energy reserves on race day?

2010-07-12 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2975069

User image

Veteran
Husk, NC
Subject: RE: Warm-up takes forever???
No, it is not unusual.  Tour riders spend 1 hr+ warming up prior to time trials.  Personally, I can never get comfortable pushing hard until 30 minutes into a ride.
2010-07-12 11:53 AM

I have heard that for the shorter the race the longer the WU....I think a video here on BT!  So in an intermediate distance race...like an OLY...how do you folks WU?  Are you just riding around for 30 minutes?  If so, how do you keep your legs from cooling off before hopping on the bike?  Maybe I should kick more during the swim...my nickname in college was PullDozer...given due to my notoriusly horrid kick!!!  Seriously though...how much time do you spend on the bike the morning of the race to get yourself heated?

2010-07-12 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2975250

User image

On your right
I personally spend NO time warming up.  I'm not in such great shape that I have energy to waste on a warm up. 

In all of my sports life (including college level sports) I NEVER really put any effort into warming up, and I don't see myself starting now.
2010-07-12 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2975282

Cool name....my first name is Chad and have been called that before!  Aren't you worried about injuring a cold muscles/connective tissue?
2010-07-12 12:12 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'm also a notoriously slow warmer-upper; always have been no matter what the sport.  

I try to do a reverse warm-up for sprint tri's:  Run easy for about ten minutes, just to break a sweat and get my HR going;  bike a few miles mostly to make sure nothing falls off the bike, it's in a low gear and the computer is reset;  and then swim until just before the start. 

I spend more time swimming than anything else.  I need to swim at least a couple of hundred yards to get my HR and breathing going.  I usually like to swim out to the first buoy or at least far enought to find sighting landmarks.  I'm routinely one of the last guys they're yelling at to get out of the water before the start.  I hate waiting around for my wave to start and do a lot of walking/pacing about instead of just standing around.

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2010-07-12 12:13 PM

2010-07-12 12:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
I have found this to be the case when I go out for a run.  I usually don't feel warmed up until I've run 4-5km.
2010-07-12 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2975323

User image

On your right
Cordulegaster - 2010-07-12 1:10 PM Cool name....my first name is Chad and have been called that before!  Aren't you worried about injuring a cold muscles/connective tissue?

Nope.  I don't even warm up during my training.  I'm not fast, and I've noticed no difference from warming up for a bit to starting cold. 

The only exception to that is on occasion I get into a better groove swimming after a few hundred yards.  But the vast majority of the time I don't notice any difference in feel, or in time with my swims either with or without a warming up period.

It might be different if the beginning of my workout was a legit sprint, but it's not, nor do I see any reason to just go from standing to sprinting. 

I'm not saying it's the best approach for everyone, but it's what I do, and I've never had a problem with it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Warm-up takes forever??? Rss Feed