General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keeping the Motivation Alive Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-14 11:33 AM

User image

West Georgia
Subject: Keeping the Motivation Alive
I am training for my first Sprint Triathlon and it will be on the 25th. I will then transition my training for the Atlanta Half Marathon on Thanksgiving. Then I will start working for next year and my Olympic to HIM distance for 2011.

I found recently an interesting thing about my training plan. It is boring me to death. The structure has become monotonous. I have been running for several years and after the first year I started using training plans as a guide and never really followed one strictly. At 30 (last year) I ran mile PR at 5:38 and a 5K PR at 19:23. I am slower now but also training for 3 sports instead of 1. I am capable of pushing myself without following a plan strictly.

I have decided to keep my interest level up in my Tri training to do the same. So I am mixing up my training. My goals now are to get at least 3 workouts per week in each sport. I have been deciding on my distance or time shortly before the workout based on feel. I am also trying to get in more runs as I am trying to start increasing run fitness for a Half Marry. I don't want to finish I want to finish in under 1:30.

Any way. I just wanted to share with everyone who is not a PRO that has stagnated training, that for me, I can keep my interest by being spontaneous. I have run every day for several days, I also have done swimming and biking. I plan to get in a ride tonight and tomorrow. I ran this morning and did a nice weight workout. I love swimming as long as I mix it up. Swimming lap after lap with no change gets really boring, just like the Treadmill gets boring.

I would like people to submit interesting workouts on this thread that help kill training boredom and get you back on track for a good training year and strong finish times! 

2010-07-14 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2980394

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Keeping the Motivation Alive
Funny, I was feeling the same way about running until last night when I made a change and was quickly reminded why I liked running so much.  I blogged about it this morning.

http://www.theurbanprimate.com

2010-07-14 6:16 PM

User image

Master
I have to say I like having a plan as a guideline for overall volume and key workouts.
However, I agree, that you have to keep it fun.
There are a number of training options near where I am, and I will often go to one of these training sessions rather than doing my "specific" workout that day.
If you can't have some fun with the fitness, why bother getting it? 
2010-07-14 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
I know it's not practcial for everyone due to work schedules/family, but I have 2 friends who I train with regularly.

I do the majority of my training solo, but 2xs a week I meet with a good friend to run. Fortunately, we run about the same pace so it works out well. We're both doing a HM later in the year, so it motivates us to go a little further each time. It also motivates me to keep running on my own so I will be ready to up the distance a little each week.

Also, I have a friend who I do a long bike ride with 2xs a month. We're also doing a century together in October, so it motivates both of us to keep upping the distance & motivates me to train on my own.

I really look forward to spending time with these friends. I work full time & have young kids, so it's really my only time alone with friends.
2010-07-14 8:01 PM

Veteran
I'm struggling with motivation too..

I'm into about week 6 of a 15-16 week run up to my first HIM. I have coach and a good training schedule - with a focus on my weakest link..cycling.

It is winter in Australia - not too cold..but still hard to get out running and swimming in the mornings. The cycling is fine as I do that with the club or indoor trainer...

I wake up at 4:30-5am most mornings and some days I just question why? With the swimming..which I am not that great at - I am now suffering from performance anxiety....I stress about heading out to the pool..

I know it is all in the head.....taking the odd day off and adjusting the plan helps..but I am also focused on maintaining training volumes as I need to have a good base to have a reasonable stab at HIM...at my current performance I'm looking at +7 hours , but I'd like to achieve under 7... 
2010-07-15 3:29 PM

User image

West Georgia
I really think that you have to keep it fun. Do whatever you need to do to keep on keeping on. Mix up the training. Switch the days that you do the workouts on. Change from run/swim to bike/swim or run/bike or run/run swim/swim etc. Do a track workout, or skip one and run on trails. Dream about an Ultra race, instead of thinking biking century think 100 mile foot race. Do whatever you need to so that you have fun!

2010-07-15 3:54 PM

User image

Master
Dirt Road
I just swam here for a week. Not boring.

Attachments
----------------
securedownload.jpeg (84KB - 6 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keeping the Motivation Alive Rss Feed