General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from NC Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-16 6:12 PM

Subject: Hello from NC
I am a definite newbie from Winston-Salem, NC.  I am planning on competing in my first Tri (Tri-A-Tri) at aour YWCA in October and am definitely apprehensive.

A little about me...I have distal Muscular Dystrophy which affects my hands (weak grip in my right hand) and feet (drop foot on both).  I have found a lightweight brace to help with the drop foot and will have to wear it when I do the run/walk.  I will have to use walking poles for now as I train but hope to be able to eventually transition away from them.

My weight has always been an issue.  In October of last year, I weighed 456 pounds and was struggling to even get from point A to B.  My wife and I made a commitment to change and as of last week, I was down to 396 lbs.  Because of my build, most people have no idea I weigh that much.  I wanted to become active again and get back down to a reasonable weight (goal is 225).

I joined the local YWCA and it has made so much of a difference.  I can now bike 4+ miles at a time on an exercise bike (at a fairly decent rpm) and can swim 50 yards without stopping.  I walk 1 mile in the water on a regular basis and jog in place for 30+ minutes in the water regularly also.  The treadmill is still a little intimidating!

My biggest goal/challenge is to be able to jog again.  I know I will never win a Tri.....but for me, winning is just finishing!  I also want to be able to inspire others with mild to moderate disabilities to get out and try one! 

2010-07-16 6:40 PM
in reply to: #2986345

User image

Veteran
Raeford, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Hello from NC
Please allow me to be the first to welcome you here. Your story seems so motivational and it definitely serves as a wake up call for me. I'm struggling to stick to my training regiment at the moment because it is so hard to stay motivated when you train solo 90% of the time. Winning is not some outward affirmation bestowed upon you by someone; rather, winning is setting a goal for yourself and not allowing anything deter you. I hope you check at the NC forum on here as it is filled with people in your area who are training and racing as well. Best of luck and thank you so much for sharing with us all your remarkable story. I pray that you continue to achieve all goals that you set for yourself!
2010-07-16 6:52 PM
in reply to: #2986345

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Hello from NC
Let me add that most of us will never win a triathlon. Winning is not the point. IYour weight loss is wonderful! Congrats! With your determination I am sure you can reach your goals. Just talk things one step at a time. I think you have done things intelligently to date, which is what gives me confidence in your ability to reach those goals. I am in RTP, but do check out the NC forum.

And Welcome.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from NC Rss Feed