General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM training on the road advice request Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-17 8:21 AM

User image

Pro
Texas
Subject: IM training on the road advice request
It looks like a significant portion of my IM training is going to be done while traveling for work.  I'm pretty sure it's going to be M-F(aka I'll be home on the weekends), but beyond that I'm not sure what my schedule will be.  I imagine I'll be looking around for info on local gyms & running trails & that sort of thing wherever I'm at, but if people have tips on anything from packing workout clothes to how to best fit in training on the road, I'm all ears.

2010-07-17 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2986792

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: IM training on the road advice request
When I travel, I am working pretty hard.  By day's end I'm beat, and sometimes day's end can be quite late, and I have little control over that.  So, I always get up early and do my workouts in the morning, even if that means 4am.

For swimming, I use this site:  http://www.swimmersguide.com/

For running, I often go to mapmyrun.com and look for popular routes in the area.

For biking, I typically am flying, so cannot bike.  If I am driving, I have occasionally put my bike on the car and gone for a ride, or even bring the trainer and 'ride' in the hotel room.  I cannot stand gym stationary bikes -- my butt lasts about 3 minutes on them.

For me, a huge challenge on the road is not working out, but nutrition.  Usually when I travel I'm being taken out for lunch and dinner.  I often tell people I'd prefer to eat vegetarian (which I almost always do in restaurants anyway), and this often (but not always) lands me in a place where eating healthy is a little bit easier.  If I'm on my own, I look for a grocery store and buy stuff like yoghurt, juice, fruit, veggies, and so on.
2010-07-17 9:53 PM
in reply to: #2986792

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: IM training on the road advice request
I would say if you don't have a Garmin, invest in one. At least you can go out and run and know how far you went, even in an unfamiliar place.  You can also use the "Return Home" feature if you get lost.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM training on the road advice request Rss Feed