General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coconut Water Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-21 10:34 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Coconut Water

This past weekend at a Half Ironman event I noticed a lot of pros drinking coconut water.  What are the benefits of this over other electrolyte drinks? For those of you who drink coconut water, do you think it helps your performance? Thank you.

-Kevin

2010-07-21 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2994578

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Coconut Water
No benefits that I can think of really--it's a naturally-occurring electrolyte drink as opposed to a synthetic one. Most of the commercial drinks have lots more sugar in them (but it really depends on the coconut, and you guys are drinking standardized coconut juice out of a box, so there might be added sugar).

Coconut water is supposed to more closely mimic BLOOD electrolytes, but that isn't what sports drinks are designed to do anyway--they're designed for what you're using them for, and that is to replace the electrolytes you are likely losing through sweat. Nevertheless, coconut juice will do just fine for that, too.

I'm not sure it helps my performance any more or less than regular sports drinks (I'm sponsored by one so I drink a lot of that), but it seems a lot more refreshing, less heavy and sticky than sports drinks (prob b/c of less sugar). Then again, I'm in the lucky position of if I'm in the middle of a long run, I just get someone to hack a coconut open for me for the grand ol' price of 50 cents. A Coke would cost me 70, here.
2010-07-21 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2995178

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jakarta Selatan, Unknown
TriAya - 2010-07-21 8:23 PM No benefits that I can think of really--it's a naturally-occurring electrolyte drink as opposed to a synthetic one. Most of the commercial drinks have lots more sugar in them (but it really depends on the coconut, and you guys are drinking standardized coconut juice out of a box, so there might be added sugar).

Coconut water is supposed to more closely mimic BLOOD electrolytes, but that isn't what sports drinks are designed to do anyway--they're designed for what you're using them for, and that is to replace the electrolytes you are likely losing through sweat. Nevertheless, coconut juice will do just fine for that, too.

I'm not sure it helps my performance any more or less than regular sports drinks (I'm sponsored by one so I drink a lot of that), but it seems a lot more refreshing, less heavy and sticky than sports drinks (prob b/c of less sugar). Then again, I'm in the lucky position of if I'm in the middle of a long run, I just get someone to hack a coconut open for me for the grand ol' price of 50 cents. A Coke would cost me 70, here.

I'm sure the race official wouldn't allow you to carry a machete even for the sake of opening a coconut.
2010-07-21 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2995349

User image

Melon Presser
otongki - 2010-07-22 3:15 AM
TriAya - 2010-07-21 8:23 PM No benefits that I can think of really--it's a naturally-occurring electrolyte drink as opposed to a synthetic one. Most of the commercial drinks have lots more sugar in them (but it really depends on the coconut, and you guys are drinking standardized coconut juice out of a box, so there might be added sugar).

I'm sure the race official wouldn't allow you to carry a machete even for the sake of opening a coconut.

Oh dear ... there goes my toolkit, fashion accessory, AND nutrition plans, all at once.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coconut Water Rss Feed