General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT band issues from biking Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-25 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: IT band issues from biking
I have had IT band issues for about a year now. They both get really really tight and hurt alot. I always thought it was from running, however I believe it from the bike. I took 3 days off from biking then ran 17.5 km with no problems at all, just road 85km yesturday and the IT bands are sore today..if I go for a run today they would just get worse (so no run). My question would be....What on the bike would cause this issue? The seat to high, to low? Am I to forward on seat? Just looking for some ideas. I have been biking for only 3 years and the issue arose last year as I trained for my 1st ironman. I have had a bike professional bike fit last year, should I do another one now?
I do my stretching and rolling to get rid of the issue but I want to find out the underlying problem.
thanks

Edited by natebs 2010-07-25 9:37 AM

2010-07-25 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3002866

User image

Veteran
Montréal
Subject: RE: IT band issues from biking

natebs - 2010-07-25 10:36 AM I have had IT band issues for about a year now. They both get really really tight and hurt alot. I always thought it was from running, however I believe it from the bike. I took 3 days off from biking then ran 17.5 km with no problems at all, just road 85km yesturday and the IT bands are sore today..if I go for a run today they would just get worse (so no run). My question would be....What on the bike would cause this issue? The seat to high, to low? Am I to forward on seat? Just looking for some ideas. I have been biking for only 3 years and the issue arose last year as I trained for my 1st ironman. I have had a bike professional bike fit last year, should I do another one now?
I do my stretching and rolling to get rid of the issue but I want to find out the underlying problem.
thanks

I'm going through pretty much the same problems. Unfortunately, there is no single answer. According to what I understand from discussions with my physical therapist, there can be 2 muscular reasons: a specific part of the quad (don't remember the exact name) that is weak, usually not the case with cyclists, and weak medial glutes. That can be corrected by specific exercises that your PT can give you. There is also the pedalling style, if your knees hug the top tube very tightly, that put more strain on the IT band. Until recently, I was not wearing my orthodics in the bike shoes, since I started using them, things are getting better. WRT to your position on the bike, my guess would be that a higher seat put more strain on the IT band, but that's just my guess.

I hope that this little bit helps... your PT could certainly help much, MUCH MORE for you than any forum though.

2010-07-26 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for your input, I do ride with my knees hugging the top tube (a friend metioned that the other day).
2010-07-26 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

I would look more at your cleat position rather than seat. Tiny adjustments in cleats can make a big difference in knee angle.

2010-07-26 11:37 AM

User image

Okotoks
In addition, you may want to look at your hip flexors and work on them as well. Having another bike fitting is great idea.  I just met a professional bike fitter who spoke to me about this issue.  I love what he had to say about ROM and tight muscles related to the IT band.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT band issues from biking Rss Feed