General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Inflamed Metatarsal Joint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-15 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Inflamed Metatarsal Joint
During training for a long run this spring, a metatarsal joint on my second (next to big) toe became inflamed. It's right on the ball of my foot. Since it didn't hurt while running, I did the race, icing it before and after every run. I've been icing it in the morning and at night as well as taking ibuprofen regularly. The podiatrist prescribed orthotics and said I could keep training, and we'll revaluate at the end of the summer.

It hasn't gotten worse, but it definitely hasn't gotten better. After investing so much time in training, I've decided to train only for the swim and bike, do my second tri in a couple of weeks, and give up on doing a third.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Do I need to go on crutches to allow the inflamation to go down? Is there something else to try?

2005-07-16 1:54 PM
in reply to: #199099

Subject: RE: Inflamed Metatarsal Joint
Take some anti-inflammatories (ie. advil,alleve, etc.) Inflammation is just from overuse. Most of the time the above listed meds and rest will work.

Jason
2005-07-16 6:51 PM

User image

Champion
First, I would track down a book by Dr. Murray F. Weisenfeld titled "THe Runners' Repair Manual" (St. Martin's Press, 1980). Not only does this have many pages on unusual foot problems, but Dr. W. provides all sorts of creative padding techniques that may work as well as orthotics at about a zillionth the cost. I think I've seen this book recently at stores such as Borders and Barnes and Noble, and I'm sure copies could be had through Amazon and other similar operations.

another thing you might want to try are the metatarsal pads sold through Road Runner Sports. These are small pads that have an adhesive backing which can be removed so that they stick to the insoles. They stick very tenaciously, but can be remnoved easily without damaging the insole/sockliner.

I wonder if what you have is a dropped metatarsal head. I had mine drop early in '99, and it still creates problems. It has now been exacerbated by a neuroma, which sends nerve jolts to the end of your toes. If this happens to you, you can get relief through a corticosteroid injection.

As for the dropped met. head idea, what worked for me (htis is from the above book) is to take a piece of felt boot liner and cut it so that a felt "platform" sits under my big toe joint and the joints of my other toes, but NOT under the affected toe (for me it's the second toe, the "index" toe). What this does is keep the toe's met head from pounding with each footfall; it is sort of suspended there above a gap I've cut in the felt. The whole felt piece, by the way, is small, maybe only three inches in length. I tape it onto my sockliner with paper medical tape. I haven't needed to use this for quite some time, but for long runs and long races I have carried a pad with a small bit of the tape in a baggy in the pocket of my running shorts (De Soto), or the side pocket of my race top (also De Soto; good pockets in both items.)

Finally, if you can't find the Weisenfeld book, PM me and I'll photocopy the pertinent pages and send them to you.

Good luck with this. It's one of those "stealth" injuries!
2005-07-18 12:58 PM
in reply to: #200052

User image

Master
Thanks. Your problem sound identical to mine... same toe and all. I have employed a similar pad, which has given some relief, although I can't get the inflammation to go down. I guess I need to call it a season after this weekend's race.
2005-07-18 3:16 PM

I would reccomend going to a chiropractor to treat the problem. Padding will help with the symptoms, but will have a hard time solving the underlying problem. I am biased as a soon to be chiropractor, but I also know of the success first hand.
Best wishes,
Bill
2005-07-18 4:17 PM

User image

Champion
monkeyboy64 -

I obviously don't feel your exact pain, but I hate to think you might call it a season after this coming weekend. Exhaust all options first! A chiropractor is an excellent suggestion, especially if it's the actual joint rather than something nerve-related. Another option might be a practicioner of A.R.T. (Active Release Technique), although small foot bones might not be easy on which to apply A.R.T. techniques.

HANG IN THERE!!

2005-07-19 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Thank you both for the chiropractor suggestion. My insurance does cover it, so I'll give it a go. It didn't occur to me because I associate chiropractors with spinal issues. Are they going to yank on my foot?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Inflamed Metatarsal Joint Rss Feed